Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 11:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,733,588 times

Advertisements

In normal times, an inept, weak President like Biden would lead to massive midterm gains. But with the election deniers, Jan 6 defenders, and never mind abortion, votes against contraception, the GOP risks seriously underperforming the circumstances.

The Maryland Governor's race is the 1st casualty, but won't be the last. Somewhere, somehow GOP strategists need to cool the crazy that could derail what should be a huge midterm win for them.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:48 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I don't personally know any conservatives or people that call themselves republicans that want to ban abortion. Ironically, I do personally know someone who traditionally votes democrat who is morally opposed to abortion and would like to see it banned.

But my point is, I don't know that there is much demand in the general public for an abortion ban. I don't know if there are any mainstream republicans pushing for it, but if they are, they should consider who their constituents are and what they want. These elected officials are supposed to be representing the will of the people first and foremost.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:51 PM

1,154 posts, read 274,482 times
Jan. 6 will be hard to explain away.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:57 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
The repugs need to get up off of their asses and do something.

They are a feckless lot and Mitch McConnell needs to be ran out of town. Stupid old man. I could go on about him, he's just as bad as Pelosi.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:39 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't personally know any conservatives or people that call themselves republicans that want to ban abortion. Ironically, I do personally know someone who traditionally votes democrat who is morally opposed to abortion and would like to see it banned.

But my point is, I don't know that there is much demand in the general public for an abortion ban. I don't know if there are any mainstream republicans pushing for it, but if they are, they should consider who their constituents are and what they want. These elected officials are supposed to be representing the will of the people first and foremost.
Too late for that:

Three states — Kentucky, Louisiana, and South Dakota — had statutes already on the books that allowed for complete or near-complete bans on abortion to take effect immediately following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade. None of these states make an exception for abortion in cases of rape or incest. Six other states with trigger laws have also had their complete or near-complete bans on abortion swiftly implemented. There are a total of 13 states with trigger laws, though their scopes vary and so do their implementation.

https://www.vox.com/2022/6/25/231827...s-trigger-laws

There is another 9 states with laws pending

https://www.nbcnews.com/data-graphic...ions-rcna36199

Old 07-26-2022, 04:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In normal times, an inept, weak President like Biden would lead to massive midterm gains. But with the election deniers, Jan 6 defenders, and never mind abortion, votes against contraception, the GOP risks seriously underperforming the circumstances.

The Maryland Governor's race is the 1st casualty, but won't be the last. Somewhere, somehow GOP strategists need to cool the crazy that could derail what should be a huge midterm win for them.
What are you talking about? This isn't a national election. There are 435 separate elections taking place. Which ones are you talking about? "A midterm win"? We aren't voting for president.

Are you sure you thought this thread through before posting?

Old 07-26-2022, 04:59 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What are you talking about? This isn't a national election. There are 435 separate elections taking place. Which ones are you talking about? "A midterm win"? We aren't voting for president.

Are you sure you thought this thread through before posting?
The overall result of the midterm elections (e.g., large gains in the House) is often seen as a reflection on the public's view of the current president and the president's party.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:

Don't be so certain. I have been supporting the Democrats since McGovern, but I am pretty sick and tired of the identity and gender politics. Personally, I feel the Dems also went way, way over the top with COVID. Dems seem to be more concerned with the banks and big business and have a bad track record in actually helping the working class. If the Republicans put up Trump or a Trump wanna be, I will vote DEM next election. If not, I will take a serious look at the Rep candidate.

As for the mid-terms, all three of my elected officials are DEMs, and if no one else wins the primary, I am definitely going to a different box on the ballot.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:51 AM

10,770 posts, read 4,349,095 times
They need Trump in the spotlight more, he's the only man, woman or child who can increase enthusiasm-
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...int-usa-summit
Tampa, Fla.– Former President Donald Trump dominated the 2024 GOP presidential nomination straw poll at the Turning Point USA Student Action Summit Sunday, Fox News has learned.

TPUSA polled conference attendees—youth activists from around the country—who they would vote for in 2024 if Trump decided to launch another White House run. The straw poll was sponsored by Turning Point Action, the affiliated 501(c)(4) of TPUSA.

78.7% attendees said they would vote for Trump.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:25 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:

Yes, Democrats believe men can have babies, that we should have open borders, that we should defund the police and not criminalize theft unless it's more than $1000, and that high gas prices are "good."

But the republicans are the crazy ones. Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections