Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Let's see here. Haters complain that the church is racist, bad, etc. Now he is a bad person because he wants to distance himself from the same church? This only shows that haters will always hate no matter what.
Actually what it shows is that he has no integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Oh please; Sen. Obama revoking his membership from the Trinity church has little to do with him; it has more to do with other people and forces. Namely the media and the general public. If the media/general public wasn't so interested in all the church stands for....waiting for something to be said that will make people a bit uncomfortable...here comes everyone.

If I were a member of the church, I would not be pleased. To have sound bites and snippets put out there that totally misrepresent the place. It is distracting and not fair. If I were a member of the church I would support Sen. Obama removing his membership; as a non-member I support it.

The bottom line is that no one can control other people. Sen. Obama cannot control the media or members of his former church. Looking at the ridiculous back-and-forth between the two parties, he just figured to pull himself out of the equation and that's that. He actually dealt with the problem; instead of ignoring it and just wishing it away. Personally I feel that it is a testament that he acknowledges what is going on with the American public at responds accordingly. G-d speed to you Sen. Obama in the general election in November!

Oh boo freaking hoo ... if your hypothesis were true, he'd still be a member of the church. Bottom line, he quit the church now to bolster his chances of winning in November. Please don't be as naive as him. This move was pure politics. He didn't have to quit, he could have stayed and constantly have to defend himself. If he weren't running for the grand pooba, he'd still be attending.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Oh please; Sen. Obama revoking his membership from the Trinity church has little to do with him; it has more to do with other people and forces. Namely the media and the general public. If the media/general public wasn't so interested in all the church stands for....waiting for something to be said that will make people a bit uncomfortable...here comes everyone.

If I were a member of the church, I would not be pleased. To have sound bites and snippets put out there that totally misrepresent the place. It is distracting and not fair. If I were a member of the church I would support Sen. Obama removing his membership; as a non-member I support it.

The bottom line is that no one can control other people. Sen. Obama cannot control the media or members of his former church. Looking at the ridiculous back-and-forth between the two parties, he just figured to pull himself out of the equation and that's that. He actually dealt with the problem; instead of ignoring it and just wishing it away. Personally I feel that it is a testament that he acknowledges what is going on with the American public at responds accordingly. G-d speed to you Sen. Obama in the general election in November!

Oh boo freaking hoo ... if your hypothesis were true, he'd still be a member of the church. Bottom line, he quit the church now to bolster his chances of winning in November. Please don't be as naive as him. This move was pure politics. He didn't have to quit, he could have stayed and constantly have to defend himself. If he weren't running for the grand pooba, he'd still be attending.

I love it how the Obamaheads are constantly villifying Hillary as a victim, but yet all you people victimize your gawd ... ooooo, you mean people, stop picking on our favorite person .... stop it, or I'll cry ... waaahhhhhhhh!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
I can respect a man or women that stick to their guns even though I may not agree with them. Imagine how much of a sell out he could be should he get into office.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,890 times
Obama did the right thing. The church didn't deserve to be constantly harrassed and scrutinized. Now maybe we can get back to the important things like real issues. The church isn't running for President the last time I checked. This is unprecedented for a candidate to be villified over a church. Well at least the man believes in God and goes to church. I wonder if his opponents can say the same. Good for you Obama.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
I don't care if quit the church or not.....really doesn't mean much. What does mean something, is the fact that he did not disagree with or admonish the church for their hate-filled, racist views. That says alot!

Last edited by gsupstate; 06-02-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
Obama did the right thing. The church didn't deserve to be constantly harrassed and scrutinized. Now maybe we can get back to the important things like real issues. The church isn't running for President the last time I checked. This is unprecedented for a candidate to be villified over a church. Well at least the man believes in God and goes to church. I wonder if his opponents can say the same. Good for you Obama.
Exactly. Critics love to project away from their own cause...it never fails .

Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Yeah, it really wouldn't have mattered if he stayed at the chruch or not. No matter what Obama says or does, the Obama haters wont let up. Big deal.
Let 'em keep hatin'.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I don't care if quite the church or not.....really doesn't mean much. What does mean something, is the fact that he did not disagree with or admonish the church for their hate-filled, racist views. That says alot!
What so bad about being racist? I am Black and a huge anti-racist; but it's everywhere in this country -- I am not going to lie to myself and say that it isn't...and that we are past it. And believe me, if I were White...I probably wouldn't even be concerned about racism. I mean really. I'm sure Black racists have the White American public shaking in their boots! ( ). Yeah right!

If John McCain came out with racist, anti-minority supporters....I wouldn't even care...and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Everyone needs to just come out with their real feelings. It's much easier to deal with racism when people are not in denial about it and when people stop overreacting and claiming "reverse racism" like it's some sort of sick ping-pong game.

Rev. Wright was right on point; I'm not even Christian...and I will give him that

Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Is there anything Obama won't say; any promise he won't make; anyone he won't toss under the bus; any belief he won't run from in order to pander to the voters????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections