Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Did he say this? “I’m leaving the church because this doctrine will sink my Presidential hopes and so I need to distance myself from it for political reasons. But I believe in the doctrine, as evidenced by my decision and confession that decided to leave only because I’m running for President.”
Here is what he said: Obama cuts ties to longtime church -- Internet, Illinois, Oprah Winfrey -- chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,404,125 times
Maybe the article left out the quote from my original post. I found it somewhere else and it seemed to me that he's only doing it because he's running for president. I was wondering if anyone else actually heard him say it the way that it was quoted.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,230,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Maybe the article left out the quote from my original post. I found it somewhere else and it seemed to me that he's only doing it because he's running for president. I was wondering if anyone else actually heard him say it the way that it was quoted.
He would not be running for President but for his membership and support from this church.

He would not be resigning from this church but for his running for President.

He tried every way to excuse this church and when he failed, he tried to excuse himself. That is not leadership. That is lawyering.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,466,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
He would not be running for President but for his membership and support from this church.

He would not be resigning from this church but for his running for President.

He tried every way to excuse this church and when he failed, he tried to excuse himself. That is not leadership. That is lawyering.
AND Hillary would not be where she is today if it weren't for her hubbie Bill. Yada yada yada...... Everyone has a story attached to them don't they! I am sure Hillary stayed with Bill so she could run for President.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Here are some interesting comments from his hometown newspaper:

Chicago Tribune | Exploring race

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,230,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
AND Hillary would not be where she is today if it weren't for her hubbie Bill. Yada yada yada...... Everyone has a story attached to them don't they! I am sure Hillary stayed with Bill so she could run for President.
I am neither an Obama supporter nor a Hillary supporter. I am one of those people with a defective brain https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ible-than.html

For all of Hillary's faults, she is not a quitter.

It amazing watching you (not necessarily you jojo) each call each other names just because you don't support each others' candidate.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 06-01-2008 at 02:09 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,765,102 times
Seems like a fairly cut and dry situation to me...church becomes a focal point in the election, and things said there are latched onto by the media. Quitting the church is one less focus in the election, which regardless of how anyone wants to spin it...is a NON ISSUE.

Futhermore, didnt McCain seek out endorsement from a pastor who less than a week ago was saying Hitler was acting out "God's will", to which he then later rejected the endorsement after being seen as controversial?

I cant see it hampering his campaign too significantly. Im not too thrilled about any of the candidates, and I do not align myself with either political party...but I will say that once the debates begin and McCain is changing his position every 15 minutes, the general public will seriously question how his "years of experience" put him in a better position to run the country than Obama or Hillary (assuming she somehow Vince Fosters her way into the nomination).

YouTube - John McCain vs. John McCain

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
For all of Hillary's faults, she is not a quitter.
If there is one good thing that Hillary did during this campaign, it was this.

She proved that women can be tough. She was not a quitter.

It's funny, but it's one thing that Republicans really like about her.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,782,650 times
What a lousy letter Obama wrote....Nothing in there how he is disappointed in them and how they could speak about Hillary and the rest of America, without him knowing this....just a political letter so he can let all the rev. in through the backdoor.....

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Seems like a fairly cut and dry situation to me...church becomes a focal point in the election, and things said there are latched onto by the media. Quitting the church is one less focus in the election, which regardless of how anyone wants to spin it...is a NON ISSUE.

Futhermore, didnt McCain seek out endorsement from a pastor who less than a week ago was saying Hitler was acting out "God's will", to which he then later rejected the endorsement after being seen as controversial?

I cant see it hampering his campaign too significantly. Im not too thrilled about any of the candidates, and I do not align myself with either political party...but I will say that once the debates begin and McCain is changing his position every 15 minutes, the general public will seriously question how his "years of experience" put him in a better position to run the country than Obama or Hillary (assuming she somehow Vince Fosters her way into the nomination).

YouTube - John McCain vs. John McCain
Exactly. They ALL do this - change stories, backpedal, lie, cut ties, etc. It's all politics. I'm noticing a lot of hate and condescension being thrown around on this forum in all directions, and I wonder if it's always been this bad or if it's just getting more noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections