Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelsurfer View Post
remember the parking garage ?
I dont drnk coffee maybe i should?
"In 1997 and 1998, six Islamist extremists were convicted and sentenced to life in prison for their roles in the bombing." 1997-98 were Clinton years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,861,363 times
you say the worst since the civil war, the other poster said worst of all time. I don't trust these so called historians. do a little historical research yourself and you will see that there are several presidents that rank much lower than bush. don't get me wrong, I am not a bush fan, but there have been worse. pierce, fillmore, tyler, johnson, buchanan, johnson, arthur, and harding, just to name a few. history is instantaneous, but it can't be judged instantaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
And about 75% of the American public. Bush will certainly go down as the worst president in living memory. He'll probably be judged the worst since the civil war. He could very possibly be classed as the all-time worst.

The jury hasn't been silent. Current historians have been speaking about Bush's dismal performance for several years. Bush has done nothing but stupidly and stubbornly "stay the course" despite all the indications that the'd taken a wrong turn.

His place at the bottom of the dustbin of history is already waiting for him.

It most certainly is! All of yesterday's events are already history, never to be redone. Bush has no time left in his term to salvage his reputation. His incompetence and narrow-mindedness will cause great damage to the GOP for some time into the future. America will take some time to recover from his bungling and borderline criminal "leadership", but we'll bounce back.

My hope is that Bush lives a long life, painfully aware of public scorn and historical condemnation. He richly deserves it.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,722 times
Default Bush: bottom of the barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you say the worst since the civil war, the other poster said worst of all time.
If you go back and read my post, you'll see that I covered both of those bases.

Quote:
I don't trust these so called historians. do a little historical research yourself and you will see that there are several presidents that rank much lower than bush. don't get me wrong, I am not a bush fan, but there have been worse. pierce, fillmore, tyler, johnson, buchanan, johnson, arthur, and harding, just to name a few. history is instantaneous, but it can't be judged instantaneously.
History doesn't await your opinion or mine. And the final verdict isn't in on Bush; not by a long shot. But I'm very confident he'll finish well below most on your list.

Here's one historian's take:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120101509.html

Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,722 times
Here's another, with more background info, and viewpoints from a group of historians:

http://themoderatevoice.com/politics...tial-campaign/

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,589,026 times
Lightbulb Obama Bashers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Why all the obvious anger?

Here's a guy who has achieved his position through hard work and high ability. He isn't the presumptive nominee because he was born with all the advantages of wealth and powerful political connections. He's where he is because he's done it the American way; he's worked his way up.

Here's a guy who doesn't seem to be motivated by personal gain. After graduating at the top of his class from Harvard Law School, he was offered very lucrative positions with Wall Street law firms. He instead returned to Chicago as a community organizer among the working poor.

Here's a guy who has a vision of repairing the obvious rift in America between left and right. Who does that threaten?

I think it's a real mixed bag.

There are (unfortunately) millions of voters who will immediately hate Obama because of his mixed race. That's the ugly, undeniable truth. But it's far from the whole story.

Even a casual review of the threads on this forum shows that there are lots of angry posters who've swallowed the silly anti-Obama rhetoric that we've all received in our email inboxes over the months. So many folks will quickly grab onto absurdities that seem to reinforce their half-formed opinions and then never deviate from that weak position.

Of course, there are the die-hard right-wing authoritarians who still approve of Bush and who still think Dick Cheney and Karl Rove are great Americans. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Weiner-Savage are their news sources. Their minds are poisoned and they'll never have a lucid moment for the rest of their days.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Even a casual review of the threads on this forum shows that there are lots of angry posters who've swallowed the silly anti-Obama rhetoric that we've all received in our email inboxes over the months. So many folks will quickly grab onto absurdities that seem to reinforce their half-formed opinions and then never deviate from that weak position.

Of course, there are the die-hard right-wing authoritarians who still approve of Bush and who still think Dick Cheney and Karl Rove are great Americans. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Weiner-Savage are their news sources.
I think they're just afraid, as they've been told to be and to stay. They want to feel superior to someone and in Rush-Sean World they can feel this way. I think it's brilliant manipulation, admire it very much.

Not talking about Republicans or conservatives, just hate-mail-believers.

All anyone has to do is turn off the TV and go read and evaluate for themselves. No one has to be a frightened sheep.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,589,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think they're just afraid, as they've been told to be and to stay. They want to feel superior to someone and in Rush-Sean World they can feel this way. I think it's brilliant manipulation, admire it very much.

Not talking about Republicans or conservatives, just hate-mail-believers.

All anyone has to do is turn off the TV and go read and evaluate for themselves. No one has to be a frightened sheep.

But it's so much easier than thinking. I truly believe that for a sizable percentage of the population, actually thinking about something is more painful than an hour in the dentist's chair with no xylocaine.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM

24 posts, read 26,946 times
Dont you have anything in common with YOUR friends? Do you suppose that Obama wore earplugs during the 20 odd years that he sat in the pew listening to racist anti-American rants?

YouTube - Jeremiah Wright - God Damn America

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1962 View Post
Dont you have anything in common with YOUR friends? Do you suppose that Obama wore earplugs during the 20 odd years that he sat in the pew listening to racist anti-American rants?

YouTube - Jeremiah Wright - God Damn America
Show me in Obama's platform where Rev Wright's anti-American rants have borne fruit - where they're revealed in Obama's politics.

One place. One position. Go ahead.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,388,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Show me in Obama's platform where Rev Wright's anti-American rants have borne fruit - where they're revealed in Obama's politics.

One place. One position. Go ahead.
I wonder how often he even actually went to church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections