Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You are absolutely dillusional if you believe this to be true. In the eyes of America, he is and always was a black male. Colin Powell is of mixed race as well. So I propose that Colin Powell's (as a white man) is endorsing Barack Obama (as a white man), because he feels he is the best candidate.
Wait! Powell and Obama are black? I always saw them as white men. Wow, this changes things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 AM

438 posts, read 503,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Because, Colin Powell brought an unneeded discussion about race into his speech. It is not what he said that was important, it was the fact that no white person could have given the same speech within the same context without being caused racist. I am saying that no black man of Powell's class need speak about race in his speeches. It was Obama that brought the race card to the table, not Bill Clinton or John McCain.

It is about race! Obama running for President as a white man (remember, he had the choice to be black or white) with the same exact issues would have lost to Clinton big time. Stop and think you foolish people. BHO is 1/2 white and 1/2 black, he stated that he made the choice to be seen as a black man. So, you who think it's not about race, better get a real grip on your self.
You must be living in some alternative America because in the real America Obama is Black whether he wants to or not. White America decides what race Obama is. Have you never even heard of the 1 drop rule? If you look Black in America, you are Black. It doesn't matter if you have some White in you or not.

BTW
The Clinton camp was the one who brought race into the campaign with their racial attacks and innuendo against Obama, from publicising photos of him in Kenyan tribal garb to spreading lies he attended a Madrassas to belittling and denigrating MLK.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,477,661 times
Quote:

If this presidential vote is not about race then why are close to 90% of blacks supporting such an otherwise poor candidate?
What percentage of blacks voted for Gore? Clinton? Kerry?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
The whole 90% of black people voting for Obama thing has been discussed ad infinitum, so I won't even go there. However, I will say this - For the life of me, I've never been able to understand why some white people can like/respect a black person until they display signs that they are actually black. Can you explain that to me?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Maybe I can if you can explain to me what, "display signs that they are actually black" actaully means.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:55 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times
The main difference that I see in this forum is the hatred. I don't hate or despise people as many of the writers on this thread obviously must. I am so very sad for this hatred.

As to exactly what Mr. Powell said, I can only remember the post speech frustration I shared with my wife because he had brought the race card out. Unfortunately, I won't try to quote his remarks because I fear that I would make a bigger mistake by misquoting him. Just be satisfied that I had great praise for his speech until he played the race card in my opinion.

The only thing I hate about this topic is the hatred and how foolish people are. I hate the fact that I was foolish enough to think that I could discuss a racial issue on this forum without being attacked.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,970,578 times
If Hillary Clinton had gotten the Democratic nomination instead of Obama, I doubt very much that Colin Powell would have thrown his support for her instead of John McCain. That is why I think race definitely played a part in his decision to jump on the Barack bandwagon.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
The main difference that I see in this forum is the hatred. I don't hate or despise people as many of the writers on this thread obviously must. I am so very sad for this hatred.

As to exactly what Mr. Powell said, I can only remember the post speech frustration I shared with my wife because he had brought the race card out. Unfortunately, I won't try to quote his remarks because I fear that I would make a bigger mistake by misquoting him. Just be satisfied that I had great praise for his speech until he played the race card in my opinion.

The only thing I hate about this topic is the hatred and how foolish people are. I hate the fact that I was foolish enough to think that I could discuss a racial issue on this forum without being attacked.
I think what's sad is that you feel that people are foolish and full of hate because they disagree with what you said. Also, you see nothing wrong with projecting your prejudices as facts. That's the extreme sad part to me, just because you think it must be about race means that it is and that we should go along with your thinking with no proof presented.

Until you provide proof about what you are accusing Colin Powell of saying, there is no need to go on because it means that you are not interested in debating, only trying to push your feelings off as fact.

BTW this is not hatred, but im sure you'll think so because its not in agreement with what you are saying.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:

Does someone just mentioning their race and their heritage qualify as playing the race card? Guess what, the man is black. It's not the same as being white, by a long shot.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:

Excuse me. I dont know about people attacking you, but when you say, "I was foolish enough to think that I could discuss a racial issue on this forum without being attacked," you're being disingenuous to a really irritating degree.

You named this thread "Powell made racial comments in Louisville."

You say in your original post that the content of his Louisville speech is your one and only source for your belief that Powell endorsed Obama because of race. "I point this out because I am certain Mr. Powell did and is supporting BHO without any substantial logic except the race issue."

You dismiss the reasons Gen. Powell himself gave for his endorsement by not even mentioning them. But you give nothing of substance to back up your own announcement that he based his decision on race.

Naturally readers would have liked to know at least some of what he said, in order to understand on what you were basing the entire theme of your thread. Your title led them to believe that your post would provide at least some concrete information for them to consider and then agree or disagree with your conclusion. But there was nothing there, other than your assurance that he had said something that disappointed you.

So people wound up arguing for and against what you actually did set forth - that Powell was lying when he gave whatever flimsy excuses he gave for endorsing Obama, and that the real reason was race.

What did you expect? You provided the same old stuff, and posters responded the same old ways.

Ive looked around on the internet for any remarks upon anything remotely racial in a speech Powell made in Louisville in 2008. It was called "Diplomacy: Persuasion, Trust and Values" (something else that he might have in common with Obama?). I didnt find a transcript of the April 3, 2008 speech, only for the post-9/11 speech he gave at the University.

Last edited by delusianne; 10-23-2008 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: cant find interview I thought I'd seen. Oh well

Old 10-23-2008, 06:31 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
If Hillary Clinton had gotten the Democratic nomination instead of Obama, I doubt very much that Colin Powell would have thrown his support for her instead of John McCain. That is why I think race definitely played a part in his decision to jump on the Barack bandwagon.
So just because you think it wouldn't have happened means that its about race.

Talk about playing the race card...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections