Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,352,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

90% of blacks supporting such an otherwise poor candidate?

If it was Bill Clinton running against Obama you'd see that number halfed.
What percentage of the Republican Party is Black or Latino? Maybe 5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I have a very high opinion of Thomas Sowell as a thinker and a writer. I have his books on Economics. He's an awesome, intelligent person. Too bad he isn't running!
Ut oh...you hear that Thomas? They said the same thing about Colin Powell. Please don't ever endorse a black candidate, or else - LOL

Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,064,836 times
Anyone care to guess how many black votes Thomas Sowell would get?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,850,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Ut oh...you hear that Thomas? They said the same thing about Colin Powell. Please don't ever endorse a black candidate, or else - LOL
The difference is that I've read, for myself, Thomas Sowell's written work. I've only listened to what the media had to say about Colin. Now, I've heard some divisive things Colin has said, I would never vote for him now.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,308,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
People can discuss race without being racist. I think what the OP means is he disagreed with Colin Powell's observations on racism. Fair distinction?
David Gergen (I think that is his name) on CNN made an interesting statement regarding Limbaugh's comments on Powell's endorsement, basically stating that the media does not get to ask the question or challenge an endorsement when a white former secretary endorses McCain so the same should apply for Powell. Being balanced he did go on to point out the many endorsements McCain had received from former defense secretaries, etc, but again affirmed that nobody had suggested or ever implied that their endorsements had anything to do with race. I thought it was an excellent point. It is reactions like Limbaugh's to the Powell endorsement that paint the GOP as racists. It is not fair, but comments like that do not help. There should be more distance made between such comments.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,920,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Now, I've heard some divisive things Colin has said, I would never vote for him now.
Like what?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,535,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
People can discuss race without being racist. I think what the OP means is he disagreed with Colin Powell's observations on racism. Fair distinction?
Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth, it's so right on.
I love how, a lot of righties, think that someone is racist for even talking about race. They don't talk about it, since they actually believe that they are not racist by not even mentioning it.
I bet many of them though, would boycott their kids wedding if they ever fell in love with a black man/woman. Pathetic.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM

493 posts, read 718,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In early winter 2008, my wife called me to say that she had just been given two tickets to a speech being made by former soldier & presidential cabinet member Colin Powell in downtown Louisville. She asked if I would like to attend. Oh, yes!, I replied and our seats just happened to be third row center. Great were my expectations.

Unfortunately, however, as my wife reminded me, I noted to her afterwards that I was so impressed until he got to the racial issues. I told her then that I was so disappointed in Mr. Powell for his inclusion of race in an otherwise very good talk.

I point this out because I am certain Mr. Powell did and is supporting BHO without any substantial logic except the race issue.

If this presidential vote is not about race then why are close to 90% of blacks supporting such an otherwise poor candidate? As with Rodney King, if the race card needs to be played, at least play it from the top of the deck, not with a bad example.
Sir, you are a genuine idiot to make up such a story all so that you can point out the fact that so many black people are proud that one of their own has come so far. how selfish of you. it's not all about him being black, if that was the case then jesse jackson should have won genius it's about the type of candidate he is and the motivation, hope, and positive energy he brings with a "yes we can" message of change. black people have faith in him and are proud that there could be a black man reach the highest office in a land that has had their ancestors as slaves! it's amazing and unbelievable and there is a genuine sense of pride about this unique, rare, unbelievably remarkable young man!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,946,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
What? Early winter 2008? Wow...are you one of 'dem future tellers?
January 2008 is winter 2008.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,946,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Anyone care to guess how many black votes Thomas Sowell would get?
Thomas Sowell......wasn't he in Soul Man?

:rolleyes"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections