Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,326,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post

In the case of Mr. McCain, I found that he was a little unsure as to deal with the economic problems that we were having and almost every day there was a different approach to the problem. And that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had. And I was also concerned at the selection of Governor Palin. She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired; but at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made.

On the Obama side, I watched Mr. Obama and I watched him during this seven-week period. And he displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at problems like this and picking a vice president that, I think, is ready to be president on day one. And also, in not just jumping in and changing every day, but showing intellectual vigor. I think that he has a, a definitive way of doing business that would serve us well. I also believe that on the Republican side over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party and Mr. McCain has become narrower and narrower. Mr. Obama, at the same time, has given us a more inclusive, broader reach into the needs and aspirations of our people. He's crossing lines--ethnic lines, racial lines, generational lines. He's thinking about all villages have values, all towns have values, not just small towns have values.
OMG are you blind?? There are racial code words ALL over this! Allow me to translate...

Quote:
In the case of Mr. McCain, I found that he was a little unsure as to deal with the whitey problems that we were having and almost every day there was a different approach to the problem. And that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the cracker problems that we had. And I was also concerned at the selection of Governor Palin. She's a very distinguished whitey, and she's to be admired; but at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be Vice Whitey of the United States of White white white.

On the Obama side, I watched Mr. Obama and I watched him during this seven-week period. And he displayed a blackness, a black black black, a depth of African-Americanism and a black black black African-American black black black.
Or at least that's how I think Limbaugh read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,461,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
He is not running for office.
He is not campaigning for Obama.
He has not been offered, or accepted any position within the Obama organization.

I'm sure if you look at everyone endorsing BOTH candidates.. at some point someone would have said something that we would question!

the point of this thread?
Neither is JOE the PLUMBER. and he was smeared immediately!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So you're not voting for Obama because....you don't think he'll look out for the little guy?
Exactly! You are the first person to get the real message. No, the little guy is the prey of liberal power! Always has been, always will be.

Who do you think will pay for the 95% tax cut? Let me tell you, you will. You will either pay higher prices or you'll loose your job. It doesn't matter to the rich, they passed right through the Great Depression without a hitch. They had enough fat to live on through the winter, it was the little guy who had to fend for himself. For example, hundreds of workers lined up to get a job building the Hoover Dam knowing that many would die or be seriously injured.

You can not tax a business. It will either increase its prices, or it will go out of business. Mr. Buffett knows that. He, himself, has never by his own admission bought or sold without greed involved.

Anyone who thinks a Democratic victory is a victory for the middle class and poor is a foolish person. History has proven this to be fact time and time again.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Could you please give some examples of the race-related things Powell said in his Louisville speech? Fourth request.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Could you please give some examples of the race-related things Powell said in his Louisville speech? Fourth request.
They cannot, they speak with fork-ed tongue!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Now, all you that have wished to do so have had your shot at me.

I guess you are seeing how Colin Powell is feeling right now

I will not attempt to quote him

Why wold you want to? The quote probably wouldn't justify your view so why use it? its much easier just to use your interpretation of what he said to prove your point.

I am so sorry that you who slandered me did so with such hatred. I just can't see how Mr. Powell or any other reasonable American would vote for Mr. Obama other than race.

Its even sadder to see someone try to pass off their own hatred and racism as someone else's problem than your own.
I sincerely wish you unbiased clarity in your future thinking without the cloud of race judging your view. Maybe then you can join the modern day society where race is becoming less of an issue and more people are willing to work together as Americans.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
Quote:
Exactly! You are the first person to get the real message. No, the little guy is the prey of liberal power! Always has been, always will be.

Who do you think will pay for the 95% tax cut? Let me tell you, you will. You will either pay higher prices or you'll loose your job. It doesn't matter to the rich, they passed right through the Great Depression without a hitch. They had enough fat to live on through the winter, it was the little guy who had to fend for himself. For example, hundreds of workers lined up to get a job building the Hoover Dam knowing that many would die or be seriously injured.

You can not tax a business. It will either increase its prices, or it will go out of business. Mr. Buffett knows that. He, himself, has never by his own admission bought or sold without greed involved.

Anyone who thinks a Democratic victory is a victory for the middle class and poor is a foolish person. History has proven this to be fact time and time again.
I don't see at all what this has to do with Powell endorsing Obama because they're both black, but anyway, how do you think McCain's policies are going to benefit the middle class or the poor?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Then why not say that in your OP instead of saying that a vote for Obama must be about race?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
After reading the madness that is this thread, this is how I interpret what the OP is trying to say:

He feels Obama will not look out for the little guy

He does not feel that Obama is the better of the candidates and that any rational-thinking person would see this as well

Since this is the case (that Obama isn't the best candidate) then it isn't the issues that are driving the votes but rather race

I'm not sure how Colin Powell fits into this other than when he gave his Louisville speech, that he brought up some issue of race that perhaps didn't fit in with the message of the speech, or perhaps because he feels Colin Powell is such a great man, that there should be no mention of race because he got where he is on his own merit and not by race.

I don't agree with much of this, but this is how I am reading it.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,753,950 times
What's up with right wingers and misleading thread titles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections