Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,030,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I missed where you proved that his endorsement was purely race-based, in spite of what Powell himself said. Could you point it out?
I missed it as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Wow, can anyone read? Yes, there was one reader out of 12 replies. The entire point was not to kick black folks, but rather to show that Mr. Powell's only connection to BHO is racial. The entire rest of his endorsement was pure unbased spin.

As to the air-heads who felt that I was bashing Mr. Powell, you are totally wrong. I was and will bash his choice and his lying about the cause of his choice. If he had stated, "I am black, and therefore, I shall support Mr. Obama," then I can accept that, but to spin his way around the race issue and to have people continually deny that he had ever spoken racially, total bs!
I think you should ask yourself if you can read.

You said "I am certain Mr. Powell did and is supporting BHO without any substantial logic except the race issue" and "why are 90% of blacks supporting such an otherwise poor candidate"

Both these statements say to me that just because you feel Obama is not a good candidate in YOUR eyes that he must be getting support only because he is black which is BS.

Now if you feel that he is not a superior candidate then good, don't vote for him...but don't try to use your twisted views as evidence to make a case, espically when there are facts to proove otherwise.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Thumbs down Your take is yours only

Quote:
In early winter 2008, my wife called me to say that she had just been given two tickets to a speech being made by former soldier & presidential cabinet member Colin Powell in downtown Louisville. She asked if I would like to attend. Oh, yes!, I replied and our seats just happened to be third row center. Great were my expectations.

Unfortunately, however, as my wife reminded me, I noted to her afterwards that I was so impressed until he got to the racial issues. I told her then that I was so disappointed in Mr. Powell for his inclusion of race in an otherwise very good talk.

I point this out because I am certain Mr. Powell did and is supporting BHO without any substantial logic except the race issue.

If this presidential vote is not about race then why are close to 90% of blacks supporting such an otherwise poor candidate? As with Rodney King, if the race card needs to be played, at least play it from the top of the deck, not with a bad example.

I see...

You inferred racism from his remarks, but don't feel confident enough to expand on that. But you felt compelled to take a shot at the man on a public political forum, nonetheless.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yeah. How dare Colin Powell ever talk about race in any of his speeches. Ever.

It's like Sarah Palin bringing up that she's female!
And a Mom! So am I!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I do not know why these African-Americans are not supporting Obama. Guess they did not get the memo. Or perhaps Colin did not get the memo either.

http://www.nbra.info/

Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,064,230 times
Quote:
Wow, can anyone read?
YES I CAN!

Quote:
The entire point was not to kick black folks, but rather to show that Mr. Powell's only connection to BHO is racial. The entire rest of his endorsement was pure f spin.
Now, can I ask you the same question, "Can you read?"

Since Powell's endorsement there have been more than a few Republican/conservative commentators who have stated clearly and unequivocally that Powell's seven minute endorsement was a clear and concise critique of everything that is wrong about the McCain campaign. I suggest that you go back and read it and please do us all the courtesy of pointing out the "racial" portions:

Quote:
I know both of these individuals very well now. I’ve known John for 25 years, as your setup said. And I’ve gotten to know Mr. Obama quite well over the past two years.

Both of them are distinguished Americans who are patriotic, who are dedicated to the welfare of our country. Either one of them, I think, would be a good president.

I have said to Mr. McCain that I admire all he has done. I have some concerns about the direction that the party has taken in recent years. It has moved more to the right than I would like to see it, but that’s a choice the party makes.

And I’ve said to Mr. Obama, “You have to pass a test of, do you have enough experience, and do you bring the judgment to the table that would give us confidence that you would be a good president?â€

And I’ve watched him over the past two years, frankly, and I’ve had this conversation with him. I have especially watched, over the last six or seven weeks, as both of them have really taken a final exam with respect to this economic crisis that we are in, and coming out of the conventions.

And I must say that I’ve gotten a good measure of both. In the case of Mr. McCain, I found that he was a little unsure as to deal with the economic problems that we were having, and almost every day, there was a different approach to the problem.

And that concerned me. I got the — sensing that he didn’t have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had.

And I was also concerned at the selection of Governor Palin. She’s a very distinguished woman, and she’s to be admired. But at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don’t believe she’s ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president.

And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made.

On the Obama side, I have watched Mr. Obama, and I watched him during this seven-week period. And he displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at problems like this and picking a vice president that, I think, is ready to be president on day one, and also, in not just jumping in and changing every day, but showing intellectual vigor.

I think that he has a definitive way of doing business that would serve us well. I also believe that, on the Republican side, over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party and Mr. McCain has become narrower and narrower.

Mr. Obama, at the same time, has given us a more inclusive, broader reach into the needs and aspirations of our people. He’s crossing lines –ethnic lines, racial lines, generational lines. He’s thinking about all villages have values, all towns have values, not just small towns have values.

And I’ve also been disappointed, frankly, by some of the approaches that Senator McCain has taken recently, or his campaign ads, on issues that are not really central to the problems that the American people are worried about.

This Bill Ayers situation that’s been going on for weeks became something of a central point of the campaign. But Mr. McCain says that he’s a washed-out terrorist. But then, why do we keep talking about him?

And why do we have these robo-calls going on around the country, trying to suggest that, because of this very, very limited relationship that Senator Obama has had with Mr. Ayers, somehow, Mr. Obama is tainted?

What they’re trying to connect him to is some kind of terrorist feelings. And I think that’s inappropriate.

Now, I understand what politics is all about. I know how you can go after one another, and that’s good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It’s not what the American people are looking for.

And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me. And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift.

I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that’s what we’d be looking at in a McCain administration.

I’m also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the party say. And it is permitted to be said such things as, “Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim.â€

Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim; he’s a Christian. He’s always been a Christian.

But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer’s no, that’s not America.

Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president?

Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, “He’s a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists.†This is not the way we should be doing it in America.

I feel strongly about this particular point because of a picture I saw in a magazine. It was a photo essay about troops who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And one picture at the tail end of this photo essay was of a mother in Arlington Cemetery, and she had her head on the headstone of her son’s grave. And as the picture focused in, you could see the writing on the headstone. And it gave his awards — Purple Heart, Bronze Star — showed that he died in Iraq, gave his date of birth, date of death. He was 20 years old.

And then, at the very top of the headstone, it didn’t have a Christian cross; it didn’t have the Star of David; it had crescent and a star of the Islamic faith. And his name was Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, and he was an American. He was born in New Jersey. He was 14 years old at the time of 9/11, and he waited until he can go serve his country, and he gave his life.

Now, we have got to stop polarizing ourself in this way. And John McCain is as nondiscriminatory as anyone I know. But I’m troubled about the fact that, within the party, we have these kinds of expressions.

So, when I look at all of this and I think back to my Army career, we’ve got two individuals, either one of them could be a good president. But which is the president that we need now?

Which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time?

And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities — and we have to take that into account — as well as his substance. He has both style and substance. He has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president.

I think he is a transformational figure. He is a new generation coming into the world — onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason, I’ll be voting for Senator Barack Obama

Quote:
As to the air-heads who felt that I was bashing Mr. Powell, you are totally wrong

No you can't possibly be bashing Powell by saying that:

Quote:
I was and will bash his choice and his lying about the cause of his choice.
I don't know about your part of "real" America you come from but in my part, calling someone a liar is up there on the bashing meter.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If you can see Putin's head over the mountain top.. I'd say you had foreign policy experience and I'd vote for you! You betcha I would! <wink>
I can see Pike's Peak from my house. What does that say about my qualifications to run for VP?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,849,732 times
It is Barack Obama and his supporters who have hyped race, after his large lead in the polls began to shrink or evaporate, as more of the facts about his checkered career came out.

Almost any criticism of Obama has been equated with racism, even if there is no connection that can be seen under a microscope.

Barack Obama himself started this trend when he warned that his opponents were going to try to scare the public with various charges, including a statement, "And did I say he was black?"

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell : Polls and Pols - Townhall.com

Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,953 times
Quote:
I point this out because I am certain Mr. Powell did and is supporting BHO without any substantial logic except the race issue.
Uh, he gave you his logic in plain English on Meet The Press.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Can you at least give us a link from Fox News?
townhall has a Christian conservative agenda..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It is Barack Obama and his supporters who have hyped race, after his large lead in the polls began to shrink or evaporate, as more of the facts about his checkered career came out.

Almost any criticism of Obama has been equated with racism, even if there is no connection that can be seen under a microscope.

Barack Obama himself started this trend when he warned that his opponents were going to try to scare the public with various charges, including a statement, "And did I say he was black?"

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell : Polls and Pols - Townhall.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections