Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

Oh - and I had another idea that would help Springfield or Eugene... IKEA. Have you ever seen an IKEA? I'm sure most of you have. Not only are they GIANT stores which would create jobs, but this being a college area and all, and also considering most people who live here don't have a lot of money to spend... IKEA would be great! It's affordable stuff and people love it. I'm sure people would protest it because it's a huge company and they would fear that it would put local furniture places out of business... but personally I'd love to see an IKEA here. I was also terribly disappointed when the Whole Foods deal fell through. I was put off by the bit I heard about the city paying for a parking lot or something dumb like that... the city doesn't have and shouldn't be spending money like that. I think Whole Foods in a different part of Eugene - not downtown - would be really good. Maybe over by Valley River Center somewhere so it's near the bike trail? Maybe off of Goodpasture where that guy wants to build more gawd-awful condo's. Sheesh! Nix the overpriced cheaply-built too-small condo's with no yards or privacy - build a Whole Foods! Maybe in my neck of the woods - north Eugene. Can you imagine the traffic if Whole Foods came and set up shop over by CostCo! Yikes! But the jobs, and the business - IKEA, Whole Foods, CostCo... wooo hooo! And maybe we could even get a decent-sized REI. Ours is too tiny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 25,949 times
Default You made me feel better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonfamily View Post
Wow...you guys know nothing! take it from someone who has lived in oregon my whole life, it is amazing! lets not listen to someone who has lived here a month! i was born and raised in eugene, i never have and never will live anywhere else. my son goes to a wonderful school, he is so smart and such a happy little boy! my husband and i both have wonderful, great paying jobs here, we have never had our cars broken into or been victoms of any type of crime, we have a very large family who all live in eugene and all of us love it and would never leave! our family holidays consist of 35 close family members, not one of us have ever had a problem with this beautiful place! and here is a question for you..... can you name one city that doesnt have any crime?! sure once in awhile someone will get there car broken into but here is an option for you GET INSURANCE, it will cover anything that happends to your car, or your belongings in thier car! compared to most states, our crime rate is nothig! i had a friend that just got a Promotion and had to move to WA, you know how fast she came back?! 4 and 1/2 weeks! she hated it! so anybody wanting to move to oregon, you would make the best decisoun of you life moving! it is such a wonderful place! sure we have our crapy party of town just like every state, but that is your choice to live there! the thing that makes me know im in the right place, is the fact that i feel comfortable walking at night or early morning alone, i know im safe here, the way i can watch the kids play in the yard and watch them thru the kitchen window while i make dinner, how i know all my neighbors and they are as friendly as can be, how we feel comfortble leaving our bedroom window open at night to get fresh air in, if we forget to lock on of the cars, no prob, everything will be right where we left it in the morning! i love oregon, and somebody that hasnt lived long, cant say anything!
Thanks so much for your reply. I feel like I am determined to move to Oregon. After reading the first posts I was getting dissapointed...but your post was comforting.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 AM

72 posts, read 316,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by met1219 View Post
: Have big 120+ pound dog who woofs loudly in the yard 24/7 (it can be a gentle giant like an English Mastiff as long as it is big and looks scary), have smaller barky dog inside house that always comes to door when you return from work/errands (if the dog doesn't come to the door, go to neighbor's house and get neighbor to walk through house with you to ensure all is okay), do NOT leave anything valuable in your car, only use cars that are not targets for thieves such as older models or makes that are not popular but are practical like a Yaris sedan for a new car or our 97 Honda Civic, do NOT answer your door for anyone who "broke down" on the side of the road - even a woman (yell through the door you are calling the police and they will come to help her), lock you car and house doors 24/7 even during broad daylight, know your neighbors and make sure they watch your house and you watch theirs, be aware of your surroundings 24/7. My parents also had guns loaded and ready for action all over the house

What a sad world we live in.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeon View Post
After months of planning and researching we made the move to Eugene/Springfield from WA state. I am already home sick, I have just wanted to give up and go home on numerous occasions. The VERY FIRST night we got into town we had our vehicle broken into, and numerous things stolen. We left the truck unattended for 2 hours and came back out to get the rest of our stuff and it was all gone. We called the police and the REFUSED to take fingerprints, even with a perfect visible print.
When I was in Eugene last week I overheard a woman talking about how she had her credit cards stolen and the police essentially told her they didn't have time to do anything about it.

However after spending a year in Florida I can tell you that I felt infinitely safer in Oregon. Crime in Florida is rampant...and these include violent crimes. I lived in Bozeman, MT for 12 years and regularly kept all doors unlocked...several times people rummaged through my belongings in my car but I think that sort of occurrence happens in college towns no matter what. At least my doors were unlocked so I didn't have to pay for a new window.

I was parked in motel lots near downtown Eugene and did not have a problem. But I always brought my "real" valuables in with me. I think best practice would be to ALWAYS bring in your most valuable items, keep your vehicle in a lighted area, check on it periodically, etc.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 22,048 times
Default Police reward thieves

My son has had his car & apt broken into 3 times in approximately 3 mo....
Stay away from chase village! to make matters worse they arrested the thief who had an excisiting warrant that same day. The police officer said my son would have to wait 4 days before he could come in to claim his items (approx $5000.00 stolen) when he went in yesterday they had released the suspect along with my sons possessions. How many insurance premiums arel you willing to pay to live in Eugene????? I have lived nearby and have family here for over thirty years. Either we have very lazy police who don't want to take the time to seize all the property with the paperwork or they are corrupt. Why would these thieves stop when they are released and given the stolen property instead of returning stolen items to the citizens who pay their taxes!!!
Eugene's crimes will continue and increase as long as this is going on.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,575 times
so karenzahner...... let me understand this:

Your son was robbed / burglarized and they found the crook that did it.
Your son goes in to claim his goods..... cops say NO you can not claim any of your stuff for 4 days
Meanwhile the cops release the crook..... and give the crook all the stuff he stole...

I am sorry but is there something being left out here???

Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 AM

The officer was going off duty. My son on was told over the phone he would have to wait till he officer came back on duty, because he made the arrest, he had to do the paperwork. They contacted my son because of his credit cards. They released the person 5 hours later with most of my sons stolen property. Since I posted this post and other calls.... I was contacted by the chief. They did go the next day and recover some of the items from the crook at his work. My son is still out is still out Thousands of dollars worth of items including a personal check of mine. They know the guy has the stuff. I am ready to start a movement to change the way these guys are handled.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 AM

You say purchase insurance. How many times are you willing to pay your you insurance deductible. Try 3 times in approximately 4 months. My son has lived her all his life also. I have lived her 40 years. It has changed lately for the Kids going to college. And don't say to lock your car and apt....... believe me he did!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Yes, I'm sure Eugene-Springfield, or Oregon for that matter, is Sodom and Gommorrah. Come on, you people. You make it sound that every blessed hour of every blessed day is fraught with horrific dangers putting you and your family at risk.

I mean, I'm sorry for your misfortune, but how often does it happen? I've been burglarized a number of times in my car and once in my home. I don't write off the whole state or city I live in.

Methinks that the people who ***** on these threads have nothing better to do and wouldn't be happy in heaven if God Almight Himself were feeding them grapes. The unfortunate thing about these threads is that it allows the whiny malcontents to just rant. This perpetuates urban legends and creates unrealistic impressions of an area. I'm inclined to think that the biggest problem in Eugene-Springfield, or Oregon, is the whiny-ass attitude of so many of these mono-brows.

Oh, Gawd...now I'm sounding like them!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Don't get me wrong I LOVE OREGON....... I can't imagine living any place else. I Love Eugene. I don't normally post or read posts. I just feel bad for the people that are victims and needed to vent on the lack of police involvement. I would never right off this state!!!!!!!! I am sorry to hear that you were a victim also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area