Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 51,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk19 View Post
I say Berlin or Hamburg.
You're the first one to suggest Berlin. That's interesting. I expected it to be among the top choices. Here Berlin is depicted as one of the most dynamic and vibrant cities in Europe, very affordable, excellent transportation system, superior night life, international vibe. If that's all true I'm surprised to read about Dusseldorf, Munich, Manhaim, or Erfurt before Berlin is even touched upon. Anyone wants to elaborate on why that might be the case?

Thank you Neuling, Lisbon could be an option, albeit quite far away from most of Europe. By the way I do encourage suggestions outside of Germany, as long as they satisfy most or all of my requirements. Germany does most of them but probably not climate, especially northern Germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marione View Post
You're the first one to suggest Berlin. That's interesting. I expected it to be among the top choices. Here Berlin is depicted as one of the most dynamic and vibrant cities in Europe, very affordable, excellent transportation system, superior night life, international vibe. If that's all true I'm surprised to read about Dusseldorf, Munich, Manhaim, or Erfurt before Berlin is even touched upon. Anyone wants to elaborate on why that might be the case?

Thank you Neuling, Lisbon could be an option, albeit quite far away from most of Europe. By the way I do encourage suggestions outside of Germany, as long as they satisfy most or all of my requirements. Germany does most of them but probably not climate, especially northern Germany
Actually, I am recommending the city of Braga instead of Lisbon. Braga has a booming software and IT industry...

Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 AM

837 posts, read 1,288,283 times
If you choose Germany, I would suggest Berlin. Sure it's probably more Northern than you would expect, but it's a hot spot these days and it's still considerably cheaper than Western Germany and many other European capital cities.

Southern Germany, especially around Munich is very expensive. Unless you go to really down South Mediterranean Europe, don't expect to find California weather anywhere else.

Quote:
thanks a lot irman. very helpful inputs.
The legal aspect does not worry me. My company will definitely get all the legal advise needed.
I'm considering northern Germany a bit more than southern Germany as I know the German they speak down there could be quite difficult to understand, even for natives, let alone for me. I believe the German spoken in Berlin or Frankfurt would be easier to understand and with less dialect influence.
Additionally while my work is in sales, my studies focused on finance, and Frankfurt is one of the world's most important financial hubs. Like you said, never say never.

I have a passport and I'm still a citizen of a European country. Glad I won't have to worry about that part.

You mentioned you lived near Munich. Are you still in Germany? Are you German to begin with?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Sorry, just saw now that you sorted it out yourself. And Berlin will be getting much better connections when the huge and super modern Berlin-Brandenburg Airport opens in June.

Berlin Brandenburg Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,868,436 times
If you really *need* big city environments, definitively consider Berlin.
Could get bloody cold there tho ...
I never mentioned it, due the fact that I am an open country person.
I like to have some *open space* around me, as often as I can.

What does one prefer? Big blocks of cement, very little skyline (unless you get away from it),
or big sky and open space, with quaint cities and homes where almost everybody knows each other by their first name ?

As a matter of fact, I could lean towards Portugal also !

I was going to suggest Northern Italy, around Lugano, but you did prefer *another area*
That area is just a crazy fun place place to be living in. Again, just my view point.

In the end you will find some place you can call *home* for a while.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Berlin is also a very green city and is surrounded by some stunning parkland. Its very efficient transportation system means that gridlock is a relatively rare occurance.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,906 times
Quote:
From a German viewpoint Berlin is not the most desirable place to live. Its unemployment rate is one of the highest in Germany, the poverty rate among the highest in the nation (the city motto even used to be "poor but sexy"), many ghetto-ish areas (by German standards). Also, most of the big German companies are not located in Berlin but elsewhere, so someone who wants to pursue a good career would look at Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Duesseldorf, or others before considering Berlin. So, obviously, if you ask them for cities to move to, Berlin will most likely not be their top choice.

Americans' opinions about Berlin are biased since most people went there on vacation or with a great expat contract.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 PM

The OP said that most communication with customers would be through email, so the place wouldn't really make a difference in that aspect.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM

29 posts, read 51,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
The OP said that most communication with customers would be through email, so the place wouldn't really make a difference in that aspect.
Correct. I know most of Europe has great broadband and international airports so that won't affect my choice too much. That's why I'm mainly looking for a place that I will really enjoy living in. Ideally a place where on a sunny day I could just grab my laptop, go to a park with free wifi and work outside the whole day. A place with good food, affordable cost of living, friendly people. Am I asking too much?

To be honest this sounds quite a lot like California, and indeed I love it here. I'm just trying to see if I could have something similar in Europe, where I will be closer to my family and I could do my work more effectively due to being near my clients.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,854,913 times
Your homeland of Italia seems like the best bet, maybe Turin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe