Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:55 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times

Advertisements

Gomorra? Never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,416 times
Gomorra is a book\film about the camorra in Naples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomorrah_(film)

Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,978 times
Milano is not a city geared towards tourism, it gives space for other priorities

Old 06-07-2014, 09:04 AM

121 posts, read 389,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
Milano is not a city geared towards tourism, it gives space for other priorities
Milan is going to host EXPO 2015, so you are completely wrong.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
i'm from Turin, that is the other big industrial city in north Italy, and i'd really like Milan when i visit it, during a school trip. "Piazza del Duomo" is just spectacular, and also the sant'ambrogio cathedral, the theater "la scala", or the "castello sforzesco" were really interesting. Maybe you find the city less interesting than Rome or Florence, but Rome and Florence (at least for the artistic point of view) are at a so high level that every city would seem "boring" in comparison. Milan, like Turin (that i know better) are more industrial cities than touristic, but this doesn't mean that you can find interesting and beautiful artistical monuments and museum also over there (in practice you can find something interesting to see also in the smallest cities of italy, you just have to look for them). For example in Milan there is "the last supper" by da Vinci, here in turin there is the" holy shroud " and the Egyptian museum (that is the second in the world after the one in El Cairo). both Turin and Milan also organize quite often cultural events and concerts, and next year Milan will also host the Expo, so those cities are also quite lively. for example tomorrow in milan there is the ligabue's concert's at the "san siro stadium" (ligabue is a famous rock-pop singer), and people from all over italy are going to milan to see him.
Yes i think it was that. I mean if Milan was in North America, it would be amazingly interesting and vibrant, but we were spoilt after seeing all those cities. Milan certainly still has a lot of interesting things. We didn't have time to really explore it though.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think people consider Milan to be dull because it isn't a giant tourist trap like Venice (no idea why anyone would want to live there) and appears to be a well-functioning, economically-strong city (unlike Naples). Milan is one of Europe's largest cities - I'm pretty sure it has plenty of amenities to please the population who live there - such as shops, restaurants, clubs and so on. It looks like a beautiful city too, at least in parts, with no shortage of historical architecture (conversely, large parts of Naples resemble slums).

Cities that revolve around pleasing tourists are cities that are probably not as good to actually live in. If you're a resident, you're hardly going to visit museums every day.
I think there is USUALLY a good reason why places become tourist traps. I suppose Milan, like cities like Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Manchester, largely escaped that (for good or bad) because it seemed to lack major attractions.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I don't really care why a place becomes a tourist trap - I'm just saying that Milan is a big city and to call it dull or boring is idiotic. Just because a place might not be very interesting to visit, does not make it a boring place to live, and Milan's perceived dullness is only compared to Rome, Florence, Venice - it doesn't seem any more dull than Madrid or Barcelona, or Hamburg and Munich.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:41 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,042,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't really care why a place becomes a tourist trap - I'm just saying that Milan is a big city and to call it dull or boring is idiotic. Just because a place might not be very interesting to visit, does not make it a boring place to live, and Milan's perceived dullness is only compared to Rome, Florence, Venice - it doesn't seem any more dull than Madrid or Barcelona, or Hamburg and Munich.

It's almost saying Birmingham doesn't seem any more dull than London

Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 AM

121 posts, read 389,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

It's almost saying Birmingham doesn't seem any more dull than London
You may be right about Madrid, but Barcellona?

Beside Barca FC and few Gaudi's pieces of art, there isn't anything good there. I've visited the whole city 2 times already.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo vidal View Post
True slums don't exist anywhere in Western Europe or Italy. Don't fool yourself with films like Gomorra which are 90% fantasy and don't represent reality at all.
Not perhaps describing the city as a whole, but Gomorra is real enough that Roberto Saviano (the author) has to live with 24/7 bodyguards until his last day.

And the book is great. The movie maybe not so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe