Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times

Advertisements

No, I find it very exciting architecturally, culturally, and socially for this rural Midwestern American.

However, it costs a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 145,197 times
By comparison to Turin, I find Milan much more interesting. Milan at least has the Navigli district, which has a great energy at night time. Plenty of food, bars, and people to make a good night out. Turin falls asleep after 7pm, and the population demographics seem to skew towards those persons 45+ year old. Did all the Torinese youth emigrate?

[Disclosure: my favorite city/place in Italy is Bologna].

Old 06-24-2015, 07:41 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times
I don't find Milan "boring and dull" exactly, but compared to other major Italian cities, definitely yes.

The thing is, Italy probably has the best cities on earth (pound for pound) so Milan, with it's boring boxy 1950's structures, wide highways, commieblock highrises and the like kind of looks like Frankfurt South or Warsaw West (which is not a good thing). There's little charm in Milan. It's a businessperson's city, with limited visual appeal.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrikaane View Post
By comparison to Turin, I find Milan much more interesting. Milan at least has the Navigli district, which has a great energy at night time. Plenty of food, bars, and people to make a good night out. Turin falls asleep after 7pm, and the population demographics seem to skew towards those persons 45+ year old. Did all the Torinese youth emigrate?

[Disclosure: my favorite city/place in Italy is Bologna].
I can't hear you, the music is too high!

Just joking of course

Anyway, It's kinda ironic for me to read your post today, so that yesterday night nearly all the city was awake to see the fireworks.

http://www.guidatorino.com/wp-conten...vanni-2015.jpg <--- a photo of yesterday night

I have no idea about how the nigh life in Milan is (so I can't say if it is better of worse), but I can say that here in Turin it is not that bad. The area of the Murazzi and Piazza Vittorio, the area of the "quadrilatero romano" and the locals in the "parco del Valentino" and the near neighbor of "San Salvario" are really famous among the young people of Turin who like nigh life. In some of those places there are also some troubles with the residents that complain for the all-night lasting noise.

http://www.lospiffero.com/images/gal...rizzontale.jpg <--- the Murazzi area. Who needs some fake canals like the Navigli when you have the Po river

About the "Turin falls asleep after 7pm" part, I can assure you that it is not true. You should see the faces of my university mates after the "university nights" that are organized weekly by the main discos of the city.
And about the question "Did all the Torinese youth emigrate?", I can say that it is true the opposite. Turin has two big universities, and there are young people from all over Italy (and even from other countries) who move here.

Turin also hosts a lot of good music concerts. For example in the next few months Turin will host concerts of Bob Dylan, Anastacia (in a neighbor town of the metro area), the U2, Madonna (only Italian city of her tour), and several italian singers.

Turin organizes also a lot of funny events addressed to young people, such as the "color run" organized last month.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Milan is only boring in the Italian context.

If Milan were in the US, it would probably win far more tourists than San Francisco or Miami. (on the other hand, if SF and Miami were in Europe, nobody would pay much attention to them).

Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Milan is only boring in the Italian context.

If Milan were in the US, it would probably win far more tourists than San Francisco or Miami. (on the other hand, if SF and Miami were in Europe, nobody would pay much attention to them).
I generally agree with this. In the Italian context, Milan is kind of boring.

SF and Miami aren't that bad; they have tons of visitors from outside the U.S., so obviously they do have some global appeal (though I agree both are probably a bit overrated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe