Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM

595 posts, read 720,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
-Rarely immigrate & when they do it is to other parts of Europe & typically not L. America
That's a myth.
During the XIX and XX centuries millions of Spaniards emigrated, in fact, Spain has always been one of the European countries with the highest number of migrant population. The point is that the main destinations were France and Latin America, not the typical inmigrants countries. Find Spaniards immigrants in the US, Canada or Australia is very difficult, but there are hundreds of thousands in Mexico, Argentina or Venezuela. Cuba had the largest community of Spaniards outside Spain until Castro took power (who, in fact, was the son of a Galician immigrant).

Even now, with the crisis, Spaniards prefer to go to Latin America than to Europe. The country with more Spaniards inmigrants is France, as it has always been, and since 5 years ago the second one is England, but the rest of the list are Latin American countries, like Chile, Argentina, Mexico, Panamá, and recently Costa Rica and Perú.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM

35 posts, read 70,921 times
More than 15 million during the last 150 years. Argentina, Cuba, Mexico. Spanish in Cuba and Mexico almost disappeared due to revolutions. Venezuela, also disappearing due to Chavismo, Uruguay...

Most were from Galicia and northern Spain in general, that's why Spanish are called "Gallegos" in Latin America.

Immigration to France is more recent, after the war refugees fled there.

I believe than the country with most Spanish immigrants is Argentina, but I guess they must be Argentinian too. Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba-Miami, Uruguay, most in their 70's or 80's.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM

724 posts, read 593,785 times
This is kind of like asking what the difference is between people from the UK and people from the USA.

The main differences I have observed having lived in both Spain and various countries in Latin America is that Ibericos are mainly white european, with the obvious and increasing moorish influence the further south in Spain you go. The farther north you go in Spain you get more Northern European features up to and including the blond/ginger descendants of celts and vikings (visigoths) jamming out on bag pipes and chugging hard cider. The regional and linguistic differences are rather notable due to centuries of mountainous geographic isolation, but the actual racial differences are not as great as in Latin America.

Latin America is no different than North America in that it is as culturally and racially diverse as you can possibly imagine. Almost every racial group is represented in Latin America. I have latin friends that are blonde haired and blue eyed, African, Chinese, Native American, Japanese, Spanish, Lebanese......I could go on.

While the relatively recent influx of foreigners (post franco) into Spain has added to the diversity racially speaking, it doesn't compare to the differences in even one small Latin American country.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
This is kind of like asking what the difference is between people from the UK and people from the USA.
No, this is like asking the difference between people from the UK and people from the rest of the Anglosphere. The problem with this comparison is that Latin America (or in this case Hispanic America) is much more diverse as a whole than a single country like Spain. Whereas you can enumerate many features which are universal in Spain, you can't do the same for Hispanic America. Even worse, certain features from some Hispanic American countries might be more similar to the ones of Spain than from other Hispanic American countries (think of the use of 'tu', cuisine, sport, etc.)

Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
No, this is like asking the difference between people from the UK and people from the rest of the Anglosphere. The problem with this comparison is that Latin America (or in this case Hispanic America) is much more diverse as a whole than a single country like Spain. Whereas you can enumerate many features which are universal in Spain, you can't do the same for Hispanic America. Even worse, certain features from some Hispanic American countries might be more similar to the ones of Spain than from other Hispanic American countries (think of the use of 'tu', cuisine, sport, etc.)
Yes you could include the rest of the anglosphere, but it really doesn't change my basic argument. You really didn't add anything to what I said after that other than being a naysayer. So which countries do you find to be "more similar" to Spain? Argentina, with its huge contingents of Italian, Portuguese, German, Swedish, and native language speakers. White Cubans and argentines like to think of themselves as more Spanish but they are so intermixed with European and other blood that it really belies their unwillingness to be identified with the poorer native and African classes in their societies than actual similarity to spaniards.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:44 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
White Cubans and argentines like to think of themselves as more Spanish but they are so intermixed with European and other blood that it really belies their unwillingness to be identified with the poorer native and African classes in their societies than actual similarity to spaniards.
Far from what I said.
You describe Latin America as a vastly diverse region with all racial groups represented compared to a relatively homogeneous Spain, which is true (even though nowadays you are likely to find people from all over the world living in Spain). The problem is that such Latin American diversity is not uniform throughout the continent, so you can choose any individual country and draw the same conclusion. For instance, Paraguay vs. the rest of Latin America: Paraguay is a mostly mestizo country with Spanish and Guarani cultures blended. People are usually bilingual in both Spanish and Guarani. There are some people of other heritage but not so much. The rest of Latin America combined is much more diverse.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Far from what I said.
You describe Latin America as a vastly diverse region with all racial groups represented compared to a relatively homogeneous Spain, which is true (even though nowadays you are likely to find people from all over the world living in Spain). The problem is that such Latin American diversity is not uniform throughout the continent, so you can choose any individual country and draw the same conclusion. For instance, Paraguay vs. the rest of Latin America: Paraguay is a mostly mestizo country with Spanish and Guarani cultures blended. People are usually bilingual in both Spanish and Guarani. There are some people of other heritage but not so much. The rest of Latin America combined is much more diverse.
Agreed. In the context of the original post, I was including all of Latin America in one large group. It sounds to me that we are, more or less, in agreement, but it is fun and interesting to split hairs, discussing the nuances. In any case, thanks for the entertaining discourse.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohander III View Post
Latin America is more similar to Spain than England is to the US (I know both places).
I can feel myself as in home when visiting Portugal, France or Italy, in spite of they don't speak Spanish.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,401 times
Spaniards do not eat a lot of spicy food and have regional differences which make it unique (Galicia, Basque Country, and Catalonia).

Latin Americans are more racially mix but are less regional than Spaniards (but the preference for white skin exists, sadly).

Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM

603 posts, read 1,632,866 times
There is some differences but still a lot of similarities no matter what.

This does not change the fact that Spaniards and Latin Americans are still closer looking to each other.

Spaniards
http://ocio.elnortedecastilla.es/fil...di-sanchez.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/G...Ltdachrmum.jpg

Latinos
http://receph.apextech.netdna-cdn.co...my120806nt.jpg
http://llero.net/men-of-the-year/201...3f08204303.jpg

Both actually do like spicy foods also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe