Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:36 PM

614 posts, read 3,213,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Vall View Post
I always consider myself as southern european, to me western european is a nonsense because I feel close to italian than to brits.
In Sicily and in Naples I felt at home, never tried the same when I visited England.
The same may not be true of someone in far northern Spain, where the climate/landscape is not Mediterranean, the music sounds more Celtic, and the people are lighter. It might depend on where the person is from specifically within the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:40 PM

63 posts, read 152,126 times
Quote:
Spanish is not spicy at all. Spanish food has much in common with french, portuguese or Italian food than to Mexico or hispanic-caribean foods which are based on tropical and new world products with either indigenius or African roots... Completly different things to Spanish food.
I agree too.
Spain is a typical southern european nation close to real latin world.
Americans for the term "latino" think mexican, cuban, puertorican etc.
But the real latin world is: Spain, Portugal, France and Italy.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I agree too.
Spain is a typical southern european nation close to real latin world.
Americans for the term "latino" think mexican, cuban, puertorican etc.
People say "Spanish" for those. I know a woman who is Guatemalan and looks 100% indigenous American, and everyone I know calls her "Spanish".

Old 04-26-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
The same may not be true of someone in far northern Spain, where the climate/landscape is not Mediterranean, the music sounds more Celtic, and the people are lighter. It might depend on where the person is from specifically within the country.
This is also true.
For this you should to talk with a galician

Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
This is also true.
For this you should to talk with a galician
My impression is that northern Spaniards, and Portuguese, are culturally and phenotypically more "western" European looking... as a Sicilian American I can see how coastal Spaniards (Murcia, Andalusia, Valencia) look like us but I think Portuguese people are very... distinct and odd looking at times. I can tell a Portuguese from a Spaniard VERY easily, let alone Portuguese from any kind of Italian or Greek.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
My impression is that northern Spaniards, and Portuguese, are culturally and phenotypically more "western" European looking... as a Sicilian American I can see how coastal Spaniards (Murcia, Andalusia, Valencia) look like us but I think Portuguese people are very... distinct and odd looking at times. I can tell a Portuguese from a Spaniard VERY easily, let alone Portuguese from any kind of Italian or Greek.
I do not understand what you mean by "western look" but portuguese have a unique look but they are a great melting pot of people, as I told you yesterday the portuguese are much darker than we spaniards and many of them are really too exotic to my eyes.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
People say "Spanish" for those. I know a woman who is Guatemalan and looks 100% indigenous American, and everyone I know calls her "Spanish".
I'm not surprised
Americans have confused ideas about europeans.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I do not understand what you mean by "western look" but portuguese have a unique look but they are a great melting pot of people, as I told you yesterday the portuguese are much darker than we spaniards and many of them are really too exotic to my eyes.
Portuguese look to my eyes some mixture of Celtic and North African/Moroccan. I don't see that they look Italian, nor do they look typical for Spain.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Portuguese look to my eyes some mixture of Celtic and North African/Moroccan. I don't see that they look Italian, nor do they look typical for Spain.
Yes, I agree with this your post.
I think that the portuguese are a blend of native iberian, celt, moorish and ancient romans and this makes them unique.
There have also been several african and indians slaves in Portugal during his empire.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree with this your post.
I think that the portuguese are a blend of native iberian, celt, moorish and ancient romans and this makes them unique.
There have also been several african and indians slaves in Portugal during his empire.
People from Madeira (one of the islands in the Atlantic) have minor West African from the slave trade too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe