Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Of course it is, and it is something really cool, I never said it is not Mediterranean Italy and France are too.

You must know very well and love Iberian culture as you talk too much about it on forum
Alright but it still does not stop Italy and France from being less Mediterranean.

Italy and France are much more Continental than Mediterranean which Iberia, Sicily, Malta, Greece and Turkey are more of the latter.

Iberian culture is not really the first passion of my but more like Italian, French or Slavic which is my love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 AM

595 posts, read 719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
You must know very well and love Iberian culture as you talk too much about it on forum
Yes, he is an expert in Iberian culture

Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
You would be rather more closer to a Portuguese, Sicilian, Greek, Turkish, Maghrebi, Levantine or a Latino as well as a Spaniard than a French or mainland Italian, sorry but Iberians are more like Mediterranean Greeks or Turks than Italians or French.
Once I went from Spain to southern Netherlands in my own car being a solo traveller. Once I hit the southern Netherlands I just stopped in a petrol station for some water. One guy of personal staff asked me if I am French before I started to talk.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Once I went from Spain to southern Netherlands in my own car being a solo traveller. Once I hit the southern Netherlands I just stopped in a petrol station for some water. One guy of personal staff asked me if I am French before I started to talk.
It's because the Spaniards are very similar (muy parecidos) to the French! Take it as a compliment

Old 02-01-2014, 02:36 PM

14 posts, read 29,502 times
portugal is a atlantic country, spain has 1.400 kilometres of atlantic coast.How many kilometres of atlantic coast has Italy?:0. The whole north of spain from Galicia to basque country has a rainy and wet climate and cultural is very atlantic, no flamenco but bagpipes.

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
It's because the Spaniards are very similar (muy parecidos) to the French! Take it as a compliment
Yeah, it is.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
Quote:
Puerto Rican culture and Spaniard culture would still be a lot closer than a being with a Anglo or French type of culture, sorry.
it depends what you talk about. Spanish and hispanic-caribean cultures share everything that comes with the use of a common language, but invthe same time diverge as much as English and Anglo-Caribean cultures does.

Spain does not share a lot with Anglo cultures but it does with other latin European countries that border it, Portugal and France.

Quote:
Spanish use a lot of spices for their Cheeses and even Sausages which are very full of pepper which is foreign for Westerners, Northern, Central or Eastern Europeans.
PS: The way you oppose Spanish with 'western Europeans' is weird.
Spain is part of western Europe... It is one of the most wester countries in Europe. The concept of 'western Europe' originally defined the former western Roman empire in wich Spain was a major part.

Spanish is not spicy at all. Spanish food has much in common with french, portuguese or Italian food than to Mexico or hispanic-caribean foods which are based on tropical and new world products with either indigenius or African roots... Completly different things to Spanish food.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso View Post
portugal is a atlantic country, spain has 1.400 kilometres of atlantic coast.How many kilometres of atlantic coast has Italy?:0. The whole north of spain from Galicia to basque country has a rainy and wet climate and cultural is very atlantic, no flamenco but bagpipes.
There are bagpipes in old tradutional musics in many areas, from southern Italy to the middle east, thru Turkey... Greeks and Romans used to pkay bagpipies. There is nothing 'atlantic' about bagpipies actually.

But that' true that Spain is not only 'mediterranean' but also a nation of the Atlantic.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Alright but it still does not stop Italy and France from being less Mediterranean.

Italy and France are much more Continental than Mediterranean which Iberia, Sicily, Malta, Greece and Turkey are more of the latter.
??.. Italy is lot more mediterranean than Spain, what are you talking about??

Most of Spain is located lot farther to the mediterranean sea, while most if Italy is surrounded by it... Spain has oceanic regions as much as mediterranean ones, the central plateaus have a strong continental influence in their climate, ect. Lots of montainous areas. The mediterranean is just one side of Spanish identity, and this is seen in the foods of Spain which are far to be limited to the stereotypical med Cooking.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM

63 posts, read 152,051 times
Quote:
Spain is part of western Europe... It is one of the most wester countries in Europe. The concept of 'western Europe' originally defined the former western Roman empire in wich Spain was a major part.
I always consider myself as southern european, to me western european is a nonsense because I feel close to italian than to brits.
In Sicily and in Naples I felt at home, never tried the same when I visited England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe