Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 PM

63 posts, read 152,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
People from Madeira (one of the islands in the Atlantic) have minor West African from the slave trade too.
Yes, the island where was born Cristiano Ronaldo.
I also know that the slave trade as practiced in mainland Portugal, in Lisbon for example there are neighborhoods of arab origin and for slaves.
You also add that many portuguese have recently african admixture with Cabo Verde or Angola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM

614 posts, read 3,213,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Vall View Post
You also add that many portuguese have recently african admixture with Cabo Verde or Angola.
My grandmother is an example.. she is part Cape Verdean on both sides if you go back far enough.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times
Quote:
My impression is that northern Spaniards, and Portuguese, are culturally and phenotypically more "western" European looking... as a Sicilian American I can see how coastal Spaniards (Murcia, Andalusia, Valencia) look like us but I think Portuguese people are very... distinct and odd looking at times. I can tell a Portuguese from a Spaniard VERY easily, let alone Portuguese from any kind of Italian or Greek.

You can't. If natives can't, you can figure about tourists.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I have a Luxemburgish/Belgian friend who can as well, and he doesn't usually fail :O

Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM

614 posts, read 3,213,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I have a Luxemburgish/Belgian friend who can as well, and he doesn't usually fail :O
I think it's very easy. I think Iberia has both a north/south gradient and an east/west one. As you move southeast across Iberia (i.e. from Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria down to coastal southern Spain) the people start looking less British like (light coloring, elongated faces and generally "Western European" looking) and more Italian and Greek like (i.e. noses become pointier, eyes larger, coloring darker, etc.). On the other hand as you move from the Pyrenees to southern Portugal, the people go from French-looking to progressively more North African looking (darker, curlier hair, flatter features, etc).

A typical southern Portuguese has wider, flatter features than a Spaniard, and looks less generally "Mediterranean". People in the north look more elongated like northern Spain.

I've never met a Portuguese who looked Italian to me, but I've met Spaniards who do. That's another difference.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:39 PM

603 posts, read 1,632,866 times
Quote:
You are not making full sense with your sentence.

Working on it.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post

I don't think so, unless he gets near them and hears what they are talking....or their stance or gestuality.
But you can't distinguish them in most of the cases.
They only people that say such things are tourists from some country were Christ lost his sandals, or those "catetotrolls" salidos de un parque de caravanas del estado de las patatas.
For example, I can't set apart French coming from all over the Midi unless I hear them, or Italians unless they start speaking loudly or moving hands (terraris), also Greeks, Portuguese, etc....
And when some group looks strange, they could also be from some place in Lugo, las Hurdes or Logroño.

Last edited by Miserere; 04-28-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
I don't think so, unless he gets near them and hears what they are talking....or their stance or gestuality.
But you can't distinguish them in most of the cases.
They only people that say such things are tourists from some country were Christ lost his sandals, or those "catetotrolls" salidos de un parque de caravanas del estado de las patatas.
For example, I can't set apart French coming from all over the Midi unless I hear them, or Italians unless they start speaking loudly or moving hands (terraris), also Greeks, Portuguese, etc....
And when some group looks strange, they could also be from some place in Lugo, las Hurdes or Logroño.
Incredible but totally right, he could even with pics. we were work mates in Cascais.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM

217 posts, read 277,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
One of the main differences is that we Spaniards dislike spicy food very much.
Argentineans dont like spicy either. The problem with this question in general is that Hispanoamerica is a gigantic area with a ton of different peoples and cultures living on it. And that Spain is also very divided regionally and culturally.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I think it's very easy. I think Iberia has both a north/south gradient and an east/west one. As you move southeast across Iberia (i.e. from Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria down to coastal southern Spain) the people start looking less British like (light coloring, elongated faces and generally "Western European" looking) and more Italian and Greek like (i.e. noses become pointier, eyes larger, coloring darker, etc.). On the other hand as you move from the Pyrenees to southern Portugal, the people go from French-looking to progressively more North African looking (darker, curlier hair, flatter features, etc).

A typical southern Portuguese has wider, flatter features than a Spaniard, and looks less generally "Mediterranean". People in the north look more elongated like northern Spain.

I've never met a Portuguese who looked Italian to me, but I've met Spaniards who do. That's another difference.

Not true at all. The only difference is that people up north are paler because there's no sun. Excuse me, but all that is crapola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe