Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn_leaves View Post
What is so European about the US?

They have nice clean suburbs with green yards without any public transportation, huge highways filled with advertisement and enormous giant chain stores. (That doesn't sound exactly like the epitome of European things!)

European culture does not exist, Europe is comprised of hundredths of cultures, ethnic groups, etc. Plus White Americans are NOT the owners of the US, they were born there because their ancestors left Europe escaping poverty, misery, overcrowded conditions, war.

A person with native indigenous blood is far more from the Americas including the US and Canada, than any white european descendant whose ancestors got there 100 years ago!

One of the most un-European places I haver ever been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 PM

749 posts, read 856,998 times
Quote:
What is so European about the US?

They have nice clean suburbs with green yards without any public transportation, huge highways filled with advertisement and enormous giant chain stores. (That doesn't sound exactly like the epitome of European things!)

European culture does not exist, Europe is comprised of hundredths of cultures, ethnic groups, etc. Plus White Americans are NOT the owners of the US, they were born there because their ancestors left Europe escaping poverty, misery, overcrowded conditions, war.

A person with native indigenous blood is far more from the Americas including the US and Canada, than any white european descendant whose ancestors got there 100 years ago!
I don't recall talking about any of what you're mentioning there. It's the Philippines and Brazil's "Europeaness" that I am questioning.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
What happened? Long story short: German students, guest workers from former Yugoslavia, guest workers from Turkey, the Balkan Wars, multiple wars in the Middle East, Chechen War and immigrants from our Eastern neighbors.

That said, the numbers are slightly off. Germans and other long-standing EU citizens tend to keep their passports, all the others usually go for an Austrian passport the minute they qualify for it. That's why I would say that Turks and Serbians outnumber Germans by far.

Also, the numbers are from 1.1.2016, so they might have changed quite a bit.
That's what I was suspecting, so this map is not showing the correct picture than?
I remember vaguely now reading something on Switzerland and its share of foreigners settling there lately, and from what I recall, it were not GERMANS that were moving there in droves.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:42 AM

51 posts, read 50,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I don't recall talking about any of what you're mentioning there. It's the Philippines and Brazil's "Europeaness" that I am questioning.
You seem to have this very American view of "It's us whitey Europeans against colored folks who are all exactly the same".

You said you come from Europe but I wonder if you live in America because your approach to the world is truly USA through and through!

Brazil is not very European either, they have some portuguese influence, Philippines I don't know, I know they have spanish roots, and USA has British, Spanish, French colonial roots.

None of them would be exactly the representation of Europe.

I feel people who say these things are often inferiority complex ridden and often associate Europe with superiority! (Bunch of pleb with cars and goods, but no education or understanding of the world)

Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Italy's and Spain's numbers have decreased as there has been a fairly large number of naturalizations. It's interesting to see the rise in Nordic Countries or the first countries on the Balkan route (Austria, Hungary). Lastly, people don't realize how many Syrian immigrants Turkey has actually accepted in the past years. I partly have informed myself about the Turkish coup on a Turkish English speaking website and it seems that one of the main points of the opposition against Erdogan is immigration laws
And still, the 10 largest groups of foreign citizens in Finland are in order: Estonia, Russia, Sweden, China, Somalia, Thailand, Iraq, India, Turkey and Vietnam. And the next 5 are: UK, Germany, Poland, Afghanistan, Serbia.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Europe will become a virtual "PC Paradise"- oh boy!!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM

749 posts, read 856,998 times
Quote:
You seem to have this very American view of "It's us whitey Europeans against colored folks who are all exactly the same".
You said you come from Europe but I wonder if you live in America because your approach to the world is truly USA through and through!
Brazil is not very European either, they have some portuguese influence, Philippines I don't know, I know they have spanish roots, and USA has British, Spanish, French colonial roots.

I feel people who say these things are often inferiority complex ridden and often associate Europe with superiority! (Bunch of pleb with cars and goods, but no education or understanding of the world)
I see. Well maybe if you had bothered to read what I wrote you would have seen that in my first post I said that that Brazil and the Philippines are not European but have their own cultural identity. Instead you opted for an off-topic defensive/aggressive stance common among people who claim to be anti-racist when it serves them, yet are very racially conscious. Like this
Quote:
Finland would thrive with a healthy educated migrant population
what u don't need is trashy uneducated somalian, arabs forming gangs, robbing people and living off the government. THOSE NEED TO BE SENT BACK
And I will leave it at that.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Foreign born population can't decrease with naturalization (don't confuse with foreign citizens).
The only way a foreign born population can decrease is if those people leave the country or die.
Ariete's map isn't about foreign born population but immigrants whatever the term may mean and it often means people with a different citizenship who are residing there. If the number of people taking citizenships (something which is increasingly allowed by both Italian and Spanish law) increases, then their number is going to drop whereas that of foreign born people is going to increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And still, the 10 largest groups of foreign citizens in Finland are in order: Estonia, Russia, Sweden, China, Somalia, Thailand, Iraq, India, Turkey and Vietnam. And the next 5 are: UK, Germany, Poland, Afghanistan, Serbia.
So, if it isn't Syria where are most of the recent arrivals coming from? By the way, it's strikingly surprising how it seems that most of the Syrian are heading towards German speaking countries whereas Nigerians and West Africans as a whole usually stop in Italy or are more spread out. It may be that German speaking countries are the first Western European ones when coming from Southeast but still......................

Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
So, if it isn't Syria where are most of the recent arrivals coming from? By the way, it's strikingly surprising how it seems that most of the Syrian are heading towards German speaking countries whereas Nigerians and West Africans as a whole usually stop in Italy or are more spread out. It may be that German speaking countries are the first Western European ones when coming from Southeast but still......................
Predominantly Iraq and Afghanistan. Somalia to a lesser degree. Of the 32k+ refugees last year less than 900 were from Syria.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,052,385 times
Quote:

You come across as very elitist. Do you feel a sense of superiority? It sure seems that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe