Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM

147 posts, read 147,844 times

Advertisements

[quote=P London;33892681
I'd say the concept of third world is to black and white; for example how can North Korea put in the same group as Ethiopia when both countries have completely different circumstances. One as a dictator and the other well is just poor (don't know the ins and outs of the reason why Ethiopia is "poor" I'm guessing its because of a corrupt government)

North Korea is in the same category as Ethiopia because North Korea is one of the most poor and isolated countries on the planet. North Korea will not even let its own citizens leave their country and if they do manage to sneak out they face the risk of execution.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNoGMO View Post
My husband is from Barcelona and he balked at Spain being called a third world country!!!!
Let's see here:
High violent crime rate
Mass shootings
Collapsed economy
High political corruption
Inept health care system
Lack of social services
Excessive inmate population
Tainted food supply
Lack of retirement and social security

Wait......that's USA!!!!!! People really have no idea what reality is!!! Not saying Spain is perfect by any means, but 3rd world???? Come on!!!!
1 and 2 are irrelevant because we have a much larger population than most European countries.3 There was something called a GLOBAL recession that hit in 2008 that caused many countries economies to collapse.4 In no way is high political corruption unique to the US. As for the tainted food supply thing, I don't know what you are talking about because I get perfectly good food here and I have never had food poisoning. 5 of the 9 things you posted are not unique to the US and the other 4 aren't either.(Did you seriously try to call the US a third world country) Like you said, I don't think Spain is imperfect but it is not third world but don't try to call the US of all places a third world country.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes there *was*. It absolutely nothing to do with income level !
//www.city-data.com/forum/33891842-post9.html

Today, however, people have been *redefining* what first, second and third world is all about !
You didn't make a proper definition. I will ask you
1. How do you define if a country is capitalist or not or if they are aligned with NATO or not.

2. You said it had nothing to do with income. Albania is part of NATO, more capitalist than France, but it is quite poor. Is Albania a first world country?

3. You said you have to be aligned with NATO to be a first world country. Does that mean Hong Kong and UAE is third world?

4. How do you define developing nations?

Your definition is just as vague as others. In addition you are making the term meaningless. What is the point of the term when countries/states like UAE and Hong Kong are described as third world while Albania becomes first world.

Last edited by Camlon; 04-14-2014 at 04:13 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times
Spain has the thirteenth largest economy by nominal GDP in the world, and fourteenth largest by purchasing power parity. The Spanish economy is the fifth-largest in the European Union, and the fourth-largest in the Eurozone, based on nominal GDP statistics. In 2012, Spain was the eighteenth-largest exporter in the world and the sixteenth-largest importer.
Spain is regarded as the world's 23rd most developed country and is listed among the countries of very high human development.[15]

Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 AM

301 posts, read 521,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
1 and 2 are irrelevant because we have a much larger population than most European countries.3 There was something called a GLOBAL recession that hit in 2008 that caused many countries economies to collapse.4 In no way is high political corruption unique to the US. As for the tainted food supply thing, I don't know what you are talking about because I get perfectly good food here and I have never had food poisoning. 5 of the 9 things you posted are not unique to the US and the other 4 aren't either.(Did you seriously try to call the US a third world country) Like you said, I don't think Spain is imperfect but it is not third world but don't try to call the US of all places a third world country.
The problem is many pleases in America do look third world. Places like Detroit and New Orleans have real life shanty towns, you don't see things like that in developed countries. The mega prisons and gangs in America are typical of third world countries. The lack of free healthcare and social mobility and the ghettos are all things that happen in third world countries. Developed countries would never execute people either

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You didn't make a proper definition. I will ask you
1. How do you define if a country is capitalist or not or if they are aligned with NATO or not.

2. You said it had nothing to do with income. Albania is part of NATO, more capitalist than France, but it is quite poor. Is Albania a first world country?

3. You said you have to be aligned with NATO to be a first world country. Does that mean Hong Kong and UAE is third world?

4. How do you define developing nations?

Your definition is just as vague as others. In addition you are making the term meaningless. What is the point of the term when countries/states like UAE and Hong Kong are described as third world while Albania becomes first world.
Read up on this and maybe it becomes a bit more clear for you ?
Remember, I said there *was* a definition.
Today it is a different way of looking at it.

First World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Cold War alliances mid-1975.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

===
After World War II, the world split into two large geopolitical blocs, separating into spheres of communism and capitalism. This led to the Cold War, during which the term First World was often used because of its political, social, and economic relevance. The term itself was first introduced in the late 1940s by the United Nations.[1] Today, the First World is slightly outdated and has no official definition, however, it is generally thought of as the capitalist, industrial, wealthy, developed countries that aligned with the United States after World War II. This definition included most of the countries of North America, Western Europe, Australia and Japan.[2] In contemporary society, the First World is viewed as countries that have the most advanced economies, the greatest influence, the highest standards of living, and the greatest technology.[2] After the Cold War, these countries of the First World included member states of NATO, U.S.- aligned states, neutral countries that were developed and industrialized, and the former British Colonies that were considered developed. It can be defined succinctly as Europe, plus the richer countries of the former British Empire (USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand) and Japan. Countries were also placed into the First World based on how civilized the country was. According to Nations Online, the member countries of NATO after the Cold War included

Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Comments inserted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
The problem is many pleases in America do look third world.

Correctly stated. They LOOK third world.

Places like Detroit and New Orleans have real life shanty towns,
you don't see things like that in developed countries.

Is this not a contradictory statement ?
If you DO see this in Detroit or New Orleans, then the USA is NOT a developed country ?

The mega prisons and gangs in America are typical of third world countries.

OK, now we can definitively say the USA IS Third World !!

The lack of free healthcare

Define *free* for us

and social mobility and the ghettos are all things that happen in third world countries.
Developed countries would never execute people either

I would be careful saying this ... The USA does not execute people ?
Are you speaking of the government of that specific country or the people ?
But then ask yourself who is really in the government ?
Who runs it ?
I think we should just stop classifying this place a s First, Second or Third World.
Nobody here (on CD) really knows anymore what it really means or meant.

Instead use my suggestion to say that this place is in trouble.
Some a little bit, others more so and a whole bunch really badly in trouble.
We could say go from *good* to *bad* to *worse* and then to *worseder* (is there such a thing?)
How simple can you get ?
Nuff sed !

Old 04-14-2014, 11:18 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,042,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Comments inserted

I think we should just stop classifying this place a s First, Second or Third World.
Nobody here (on CD) really knows anymore what it really means or meant.

Instead use my suggestion to say that this place is in trouble.
Some a little bit, others more so and a whole bunch really badly in trouble.
We could say go from *good* to *bad* to *worse* and then to *worseder* (is there such a thing?)
How simple can you get ?
Nuff sed !
The new definition of the worlds (from now on)...

1st World:
Non-Islamic Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita of at least $25.000.

2nd World:
Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita of $10.000 - $25.000 +
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Brunei.

3rd World:
Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita of $3000 - $10.000.

4th World:
Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita below $3000.

Very easy to remember.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
The new definition of the worlds (from now on)...
Hmmm ... yeah, no more military connection, but purely capitalistic !

Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
The problem is many pleases in America do look third world. Places like Detroit and New Orleans have real life shanty towns, you don't see things like that in developed countries. The mega prisons and gangs in America are typical of third world countries. The lack of free healthcare and social mobility and the ghettos are all things that happen in third world countries. Developed countries would never execute people either

In the state I live in the death penalty is banned,and there are no ghettos or shanty towns in the US that look like this:http://s.ngm.com/2007/05/dharavi-mum...dustry-615.jpg

This is not my picture it is from Google images. It is a picture of the Dharavi slum in India. See the difference is Detroit is bankrupt but the US has the money to bail it out but in third world countries they cant do that. Look up pictures of the canada real slum on the outskirts of Madrid. I already said I don't think Spain is a third world country but to ignore Europe's slums is ignorant. There are plenty of slums in Europe worse than those in America.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-15-2014 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe