Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:32 PM

603 posts, read 1,632,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
The OP is Spanish, so it's more an auto-bashing. Is the typical Spanish mindset (actually southern European in general), Spain is the worst country in Europe and everything northern to the Pyrenees is a uncorrupted social paradise of equality, peace and justice.
Well answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Go down to Morocco..... Compare & Contrast.
Spain is more getting closer to Morocco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
I know they have severe social troubles, specially with muslim immigrants, but it's almost impossible to find those things in the massmedias, it's a taboo.
You're wrong I know countries like France, Belgium, Sweden... will be inmerse in severe civil revolts, or even civil wars because of the muslims in maybe one or two generations.

The massive immigration, the tool of the economical elites, the greediness is the cause of the downfall of europe.
Spain is just as corrupt as France, Belguim and Sweden, if not worse.

They are even catching up with their immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
No it is not.

But Spain has had not so good politicians in the last years.

Four months of vacation? never.

I have to read and hear that Spaniards are lazy, not nice after a long hard working day in my case, but after that fame and bad reputation Spanish workers are required in other countries to work abroad (with the same salary as locals, not lower) the most recent example is the new Prince George's Nanny in England. Even Spanish kids spend long school journeys. It is probably the reason because after some years they dislike and give up school.

What is bad in Spain is the system, bureaucracy, politicians, etc. Not people and their lifestyle.
Spain is closer to third world mentality compared to most European countries, the only country closer to it is Greece unfortunately.

Spaniards are not excluded from being lazy either they are just as bad as Greeks are in their whole attitude.

Spain and the Spaniards in their protests about economy downfall:
PressTV - Students protest against education cuts in Spain
'Excuse to throw us out': Spanish cave dwellers say authorities' actions 'unlawful' ? RT News

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
I'm sorry but the question in this thread is just ridicilous and retarded... Of course Spain is not a 3rd world country, how can you even ask something so stupid?
True indeed.

The thread is almost a waste of time otherwise.

The thread only reeks of inferior complexes which are generated by not only the OP but generally a lot of (not every single one) Iberians.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,468 times
To all those saying that Spaniards are lazy: they work 1686 hours per year, compared to 1397 of Germans.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
No.

I've been to Spain three times and have done a reasonable bit of travelling around. There's pretty significant cultural changes from Northern Europe and North America that you won't notice on your four day Barcelona jaunt, but it's certainly not third-world; it's just different. I mean have any of the people who make these accusations been to a truly poor and corrupt country?

The worst things i've seen in Spain (that's not to say they're bad or wrong, just the closest things that would ever even hint towards a poor country) were a kind of abandoned village on the autopista from Madrid to Granada, and when I went to Complutense, a university in Madrid, there was a lot of anti-capitalist graffiti and posters and things like that. But hey, students are always riled up about things like that.

I don't understand the lazy stereotype either. I don't get the business hours of some places, they seem paternless but it seems more quirky than lazy. I've never had poor service and the infrastructure is very organized, timely and generally pretty killer. El Corte Ingles seems like a religion, too.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
If Spain was truly third world, people from actual third world countries wouldn't immigrate there.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
No.

I've been to Spain three times and have done a reasonable bit of travelling around. There's pretty significant cultural changes from Northern Europe and North America that you won't notice on your four day Barcelona jaunt, but it's certainly not third-world; it's just different. I mean have any of the people who make these accusations been to a truly poor and corrupt country?

The worst things i've seen in Spain (that's not to say they're bad or wrong, just the closest things that would ever even hint towards a poor country) were a kind of abandoned village on the autopista from Madrid to Granada, and when I went to Complutense, a university in Madrid, there was a lot of anti-capitalist graffiti and posters and things like that. But hey, students are always riled up about things like that.

I don't understand the lazy stereotype either. I don't get the business hours of some places, they seem paternless but it seems more quirky than lazy. I've never had poor service and the infrastructure is very organized, timely and generally pretty killer. El Corte Ingles seems like a religion, too.
I certainly notice the difference.

Buildings are not upto our equivalent standard, manners different and somewhat conservative and in the past compared to UK.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is not a single third-world country in Europe, not even second-world...
Europe has always had ups and downs, for thousands of years. Spain has been broke several times in history, nothing really new.

What I always wonder about the youth unemployment figure of 50% or so. Youth is people up to age 20 or so. Since when are the young expected to have jobs? Traditionally many of those young people attend university or do some apprenticeship at that age.

Plus, why does everyone assume being a typical first-world, i.e. Western country is the goal? We are doing so many things wrong in the West, we often have more money, but we often lack purpose.

If a country or culture is not interested in this crazy, destructive, unsustainable global monopoly game, so be it. There is nothing wrong with being agricultural and relaxed. There is no law that says one has to strive to be the most productive or efficient in the world. It is enough to simply be alive and get by. (Not that this were the case in Spain, it is just a general remark.)
It depends what define you third world as. From stories and pictures if I went to some of the eastern european countries it would be too long before i'd be straight back to the airport. Infact not even a mile down the road.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
I'm sorry but the question in this thread is just ridicilous and retarded... Of course Spain is not a 3rd world country, how can you even ask something so stupid?
Well of course but it could be classed as low tier first world in rural areas and villages.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I certainly notice the difference.

Buildings are not upto our equivalent standard, manners different and somewhat conservative and in the past compared to UK.
But it's not a third world country, not even a developing country. What you listed are not third world traits

Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Well its enough that I would not ever live there.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well its enough that I would not ever live there.
So I take it you'd never live in the South (of the US) then? If that's your criteria, you just wrote off every state in the US that isn't in the Northeast, West Coast, and Upper Midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe