Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
We cannot compare statistics, because in Spain a criminal can steal everyday and get caught thousand of times, and he leaves the " comisaria" in a few minutes, ready to steal again.
There's no statistic that can compare that.
There is a very good article about that, written by Arturo Perez Reverte.
He tells what's happening in the undergound of madrid, where a gang of bosnian gypsis steal wallets, smarthphones... the judge ordered them not to enter the underground.... but the " audiencia de madrid" appealed and won, because "it is a violation of a fundamental right" now the gangs can enter there, and they continue doing the same.
Each member has been arrested and charged, hundreds of times... but no real consequences.
Dura Lex, sed Lex | Web oficial de Arturo Pérez-Reverte

That's one of the things because I say Spain is a third world country... no security, no justice.
There is such more or less organized crime in most big European cities, not least thanks to Schengen. It is nothing limited to Spain.

Spain is secure and safe, no idea what you are talking about. If you think your justice systems sucks, come across the border, where it is even worse. Still, it is way better than in developing countries.

You seem to focus only on the bad things in your country and blow them out of proportion in order to vent your xenophobic sentiments, which seem to be consuming you...

Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 33,397 times
Aboslutely not. There are some parts more poor than the others like Usa. Or if Detroit City is going down we may say that Usa is a third world country?

For the one who puts a photo from Barcelona that it's not the truth.

best from Barcelona

Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
melilla
Yes, they're immigrants - who actually wanted to move to Spain, from third-world countries, because Spain is a first-world country and provides excellent living standards.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Spain is on Google Street Maps, people can take a look at any place in Spain. People will see that Spain looks no worse than Central Europe. One can usually tell a third-world country simply by looking at streets, sidewalks, buildings...

Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM

595 posts, read 720,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkuver View Post
For the one who puts a photo from Barcelona that it's not the truth.
He was being ironic.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times
NO! Spain is NOT a third world country. Yeah they have crisis but if they can still have their mercadillos, siesta, & afford to throw fancy festivals like Fallas, they are NOT 3rd world. Third world is Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, many places in South America, Central America, Asia, & Africa. But Spain? LMAOOOO. Also I agree with the poster that said if many Latin Americans/Africans like to immigrate to Spain, it isn't 3rd world. Jajajaja.

By the way, my husband is from Spain & he laughed at this question.

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 03-18-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 03:53 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
Quote:
We cannot compare statistics, because in Spain a criminal can steal everyday and get caught thousand of times, and he leaves the " comisaria" in a few minutes, ready to steal again.
There's no statistic that can compare that.
There is a very good article about that, written by Arturo Perez Reverte.
He tells what's happening in the undergound of madrid, where a gang of bosnian gypsis steal wallets, smarthphones... the judge ordered them not to enter the underground.... but the " audiencia de madrid" appealed and won, because "it is a violation of a fundamental right" now the gangs can enter there, and they continue doing the same.
Each member has been arrested and charged, hundreds of times... but no real consequences.
Dura Lex, sed Lex | Web oficial de Arturo Pérez-Reverte

That's one of the things because I say Spain is a third world country... no security, no justice.
That is just small crime. Now compare that to gangs in South or North American cities where there are daily shooting like Rio, Mexico city, Los Angeles or worst of all: the Baltimore area. I had a colleague who heard shootings outside of his hotel in Mexico city. Now that is bad crime.

Last edited by drro; 03-18-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
NO! Spain is NOT a third world country. Yeah they have crisis but if they can still have their mercadillos, siesta, & afford to throw fancy festivals like Fallas, they are NOT 3rd world. Third world is Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, many places in South America, Central America, Asia, & Africa. But Spain? LMAOOOO. Also I agree with the poster that said if many Latin Americans/Africans like to immigrate to Spain, it isn't 3rd world. Jajajaja.

By the way, my husband is from Spain & he laughed at this question.
Why do people always mention the siesta? Usually with an implication that people are lazy, not working at noon? Every country has a siesta, they just call it differently, some call it lunch break, others Mittagspause, depending on the language. The siesta is about 1.5 hours these days, in Germany it is one hour. But Spaniards and the Portuguese work longer in the evening, often until 7 or 8pm, and in some cases on Sundays as well, which more than compensates for that additional half hour at noon. Not to mention that bigger stores and companies often don't have any lunch break, but are open and work during noon as well.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,076,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why do people always mention the siesta? Usually with an implication that people are lazy, not working at noon? Every country has a siesta, they just call it differently, some call it lunch break, others Mittagspause, depending on the language. The siesta is about 1.5 hours these days, in Germany it is one hour. But Spaniards and the Portuguese work longer in the evening, often until 7 or 8pm, and in some cases on Sundays as well, which more than compensates for that additional half hour at noon. Not to mention that bigger stores and companies often don't have any lunch break, but are open and work during noon as well.

Thanks Neuling.

We need more people like you in this world.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,796,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
That is just small crime. Now compare that to gangs in South or North American cities where there are daily shooting like Rio, Mexico city, Los Angeles or worst of all: the Baltimore area. I had a colleague who heard shootings outside of his hotel in Mexico city. Now that is bad crime.
I've traveled all over Mexico, and have lived in Tijuana, Oaxaca, and Guadalajara. I've been to Mexico City many times, even riding the metro late at night. I've never had problems. Nothing has ever happened to me in the US either, even in 'dangerous' ghettos.

Yet I arrived to Madrid and there was an ETA bombing on the freeway to Salamanca. We were stuck on the freeway for 6 HOURS without moving. My cousin from Tijuana was crying and wanted to return home. Oh the irony....

On a separate trip, my uncle and aunt from Tijuana, an aged couple, were choked by some thieves while taking out money from an ATM in Madrid. They passed out and someone found them and helped them.

Don't be fooled into thinking these countries are super safe, or safer than other places based on statistics. Bad things can happen to you ANYWHERE and everyone should always take precautions. Crime is crime.

Last edited by rosa surf; 03-18-2014 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe