Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
I always wonder. Does the house are very colorfull to hellp people recognyze there house in thoses strange places?
It turns out that some of those houses are old ones that have been covered in new siding. Russia has discovered aluminum siding. Called, in Russian: "saiid-ing-g".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It turns out that some of those houses are old ones that have been covered in new siding. Russia has discovered aluminum siding. Called, in Russian: "saiid-ing-g".
Most of houses in the village is old. Siding is a convenient thing and is widely used nowadays. Why not?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Most of houses in the village is old. Siding is a convenient thingand is widely used nowadays. Why not?
Exactly!
To let the whole world know, that capitalist Russia is totally different than Soviet Russia, where those very houses were all painted in unanimous grayish color)))
See how cheerful everything looks now, with the advancement of capitalism?

P.S. Maxim, I am thinking of extremely funny episode - when I was back in Moscow last time, I was walking with my g.f. through the same streets in the old part of town, that we walked back in the day, ( back in Soviet times,) and when we were passing certain buildings, I've suddenly noticed that there was old mosaic there, on the wall. I could swear that there was none of that mosaic back then, yet it was clearly antique, staring at me. I asked my friend what happened, was I seeing things and did I need to rub my eyes. To which she said "no, it wasn't there before - all the walls of the older buildings were plastered with "dignified grayish color," in order to not to distract Soviet citizens from greater achievements of the Communist party.
("Нечего мол вас тут баловать всякой мозаикой - пусть всё будет покрашено ровненько-серенько"))))

Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Exactly!
To let the whole world know, that capitalist Russia is totally different than Soviet Russia, where those very houses were all painted in unanimous grayish color)))
See how cheerful everything looks now, with the advancement of capitalism?
Everything is somewhat more complicated. The problem is not that siding is being used now. The problem is that it did not begin to apply 50 years ago. Why? Because the Soviet Union not had professional low-rise building..

Quote:
В малоэтажке, частном домостроении халтура всегда была, нет у нас в России нормальной школы малоэтажного домостроения. До революции была, и очень хорошая. Я читал учебники дореволюционные, с ятями, земских ремесленных училищ. Круто чего, нам бы хоть их переиздавать, добавить новые материалы и технологии только. Цены бы им не было. Но там много практики. А никому не нужно, ПТУ, техникумы разгромлены.
Беда в общем.
Бетоны, кирпичи еще тянем, специалисты с большой стройки имеются все таки, а там принципы общие. А деревяшка - совсем плохо. Только энтузиасты-фанатики.(с)RUSFRAMER
We have to learn everything from scratch. And sometimes it really looks funny.
And a lot of mistakes in construction:

https://pro100dom.org/_fr/4/5466329.jpg

https://pro100dom.org/_fr/4/9260631.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. Maxim, I am thinking of extremely funny episode - when I was back in Moscow last time, I was walking with my g.f. through the same streets in the old part of town, that we walked back in the day, ( back in Soviet times,) and when we were passing certain buildings, I've suddenly noticed that there was old mosaic there, on the wall. I could swear that there was none of that mosaic back then, yet it was clearly antique, staring at me. I asked my friend what happened, was I seeing things and did I need to rub my eyes. To which she said "no, it wasn't there before - all the walls of the older buildings were plastered with "dignified grayish color," in order to not to distract Soviet citizens from greater achievements of the Communist party.
("Нечего мол вас тут баловать всякой мозаикой - пусть всё будет покрашено ровненько-серенько"))))
Yes, I'm not very happy with such changes, because I believe that we need to take care of history. But if the house was old and the mosaic on it was made later than the construction, such mosaics need to be deleted. The older history should take precedence.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Russian Mosquitoes. I once had to wait for a train in Smolensk for several hours on a beautiful evening in May. I was eaten alive. When I got back to the states they thought I had a disease or something.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=82b_1494256035

Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
We have to learn everything from scratch. And sometimes it really looks funny.
And a lot of mistakes in construction:

https://pro100dom.org/_fr/4/5466329.jpg

https://pro100dom.org/_fr/4/9260631.jpg

Yes, I'm not very happy with such changes, because I believe that we need to take care of history. But if the house was old and the mosaic on it was made later than the construction, such mosaics need to be deleted. The older history should take precedence.
That's what happens when you let builders put a building together, without having architects with some engineering background involved. I can spot one error, just glancing at the first photo.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:31 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what happens when you let builders put a building together, without having architects with some engineering background involved. I can spot one error, just glancing at the first photo.
Well, at home in the US after the hurricane, as a rule, look much sadder))

All with DAY OF VICTORY!

Old 05-09-2017, 04:24 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Yeah, happy Losing Day.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post

All with DAY OF VICTORY!
Except for it was not a hurricane, but the result of incompetence - the kind Maxim was talking about, that takes its roots in Soviet times.

But on a brighter note - Happy Victory Day!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post

All with DAY OF VICTORY!
Those houses in the photo fell apart without any hurricane or earthquake.
Maybe it's best not to build a lot of modern wooden houses in Russia. The forests would disappear, if such houses became popular. What I see is mostly brick houses being built. I hope Russians build better with brick than with wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe