Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times

Advertisements

My families pre soviet history is some what spotty, but this is what I know.

My great grand mother (my dad's mom's mom) lived in a village just outside of Korosten, Ukraine. Her family were land owners and from what I know it was fairly large, I think they were barons or something. My dad thinks she had germen blood in her or something because her family members had unusual names, for instance her dads name was Benedict, if I remember correctly, and her name was Lukerya which is a pretty rare name, but after some research it seams to be Russian origin so idk. My paternal grandfather is from Chornomorske, Crimea and from what he can remember all his family members have lived there all their lives (my dad was born there too). If I remember correctly they used to be shepherds. He speaks Russian but he does have a Ukrainian last name so he definitely has Ukrainian blood. On my maternal side I know much less, My maternal grandpa was an orphan and used to live in Irkutsk and my maternal grandma lived somewhere in eastern Ukraine, my mom was born in Krasnyi Luch, Lugansk Oblast. My other great grandmother (my mom's mom's mom) was a farm girl, the oldest of a very large family, her mom was very ill all the time so she had to take care of the kids, and I think her dad was dead or just out fighting in war, so she had to look after the farm too. So that's about as much as I know about my families pre soviet/ pre WWII history. There are more details, but that's just as much as I know. My cousin wrote an extensive report about my great grandmother (Lukerya) for school once, which I should probably ask her if I could read it some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:38 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
You talk about the destruction of family history.
Is it become many russians belong in fact to a minority (ukrainian, finns, vepsaa...) and have been assimilate to russian culture to avoid independantists movement?
If you are asking Maxim, then no, that's not the kind of "destruction of family history" he is talking about. He is an ethnic Russian (from what I understand) and he is referring to parents not sharing much information on the families PRE-REVOLUTIONARY backgrounds during Soviet times ( because of political concerns/possible implications.)
But as far as ETHNICITIES, they didn't go anywhere, even when the countries were incorporated in the USSR and became "Republics." No one could really "hide" an ethnicity, ( be that a Ukrainian or a Finn,) since it was written in your passport.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:47 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
My families pre soviet history is some what spotty, but this is what I know.

My great grand mother (my dad's mom's mom) lived in a village just outside of Korosten, Ukraine. Her family were land owners and from what I know it was fairly large, I think they were barons or something. My dad thinks she had germen blood in her or something because her family members had unusual names, for instance her dads name was Benedict, if I remember correctly, and her name was Lukerya which is a pretty rare name, but after some research it seams to be Russian origin so idk. My paternal grandfather is from Chornomorske, Crimea and from what he can remember all his family members have lived there all their lives (my dad was born there too). If I remember correctly they used to be shepherds. He speaks Russian but he does have a Ukrainian last name so he definitely has Ukrainian blood. On my maternal side I know much less, My maternal grandpa was an orphan and used to live in Irkutsk and my maternal grandma lived somewhere in eastern Ukraine, my mom was born in Krasnyi Luch, Lugansk Oblast. My other great grandmother (my mom's mom's mom) was a farm girl, the oldest of a very large family, her mom was very ill all the time so she had to take care of the kids, and I think her dad was dead or just out fighting in war, so she had to look after the farm too. So that's about as much as I know about my families pre soviet/ pre WWII history. There are more details, but that's just as much as I know. My cousin wrote an extensive report about my great grandmother (Lukerya) for school once, which I should probably ask her if I could read it some day.
"Lukerya" seems to be quite common name in pre-revolutionary Russia; you come across it from time to time in classical Russian literature as well.
Now "Benedict" would be unusual spelling in Russia, because ( yet again in pre-revolutionary times) it was pronounced as "Venedict," and even though may be it was not as common as "Lukeria," it was still nothing unheard of.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If you are asking Maxim, then no, that's not the kind of "destruction of family history" he is talking about. He is an ethnic Russian (from what I understand) and he is referring to parents not sharing much information on the families PRE-REVOLUTIONARY backgrounds during Soviet times ( because of political concerns/possible implications.)
Yes that's right.

+ But it was not during the Soviet. My conversation with my grandmother was in 1997. The USSR fell apart 6 years ago, but she did not say. She was 83 years old, she died a year later.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 05-26-2017 at 01:14 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 01:31 AM

Lukerya (Glyceria) is name from the Greek Γλυκερία - Sweet. This is really a rare name at the moment.

ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM

827 posts, read 630,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But as far as ETHNICITIES, they didn't go anywhere, even when the countries were incorporated in the USSR and became "Republics." No one could really "hide" an ethnicity, ( be that a Ukrainian or a Finn,) since it was written in your passport.

It was more a general question.

So there aren't any process of assimilation or russification under CCCP?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
It was more a general question.

So there aren't any process of assimilation or russification under CCCP?
Well I don't think it was forced, but I know my Ukrainian grandmother abandoned her Ukrainian heritage and traded it for a Russian one. But I think that's just her character too because when she moved to the US she wanted to change our last name to an American one because she was afraid that we would be discriminated against. She is very pro assimilation I guess. My dad says she was a second in command of a huge company/factory or something like a "vice boss". And my cousin said she was an engineer, I do know that she was wicked smart when she was a kid and went to school at the age of three because nobody was home to take care of her, and her cousin would take her to school with him and she ended up being smarter than all the older kids.

Now the reason why I say it's not forced because even with my grandmother trying to come off as Russian, my dad was still forced to learn Ukrainian in school, it was a mandatory class in order to graduate. (This was in Crimea)

Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Lukerya (Glyceria) is name from the Greek Γλυκερία - Sweet. This is really a rare name at the moment.

ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F
Thanks for that, and we called her Baba Lusha for short, sadly she is no longer with us, she passed away 5 years ago, she didn't even know how old she was, we just guesstimated she was born in 1917.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
May she be walking in beauty Greg. What she could have shared with us is priceless. All those experiences, all the wisdom.

BTW. The phrase walk in beauty is how American natives of the south west said and sometimes still say goodbye. It has other uses also such as paying respects.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Good video about history, Russia, Ukraine and patriotism (Russian language).

https://youtu.be/aZcqp8vpsas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe