Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Could it be this one. The Pale Blue Dot quote. It's a very famous one.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994
No but that is a good one. I use the terms "reptilian" and "reptilian minds" in reference to politicians very often. Him and his buddies were debating and it came to how people think and what parts of our minds we use, the higher thoughtful creative mind or the more primitive instinctual reptile brain we inherited from our ancestors.

Polticians have minds like reptiles. Elon Musk sees things differently, with a higher mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
A Russian military base in Venezuela is definitely a possibility....albeit remote......cannot wait for US reaction in that case...
US would not care. Russia's army in Venezuela would not be a threat to anyone except to Venezuela's own people (see Cuba, Syria, Hungary, etc for examples)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
In Crimea a minority?? LOL If Russians were a minority where is the Ukrainian resistance trying to get Crimea back?? I guess they were on the beach this summer....LOL
I said in Ukraine. Crimea is not in Ukraine.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:34 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
A small movie, which CNN will never show you. (there are English subtitles )

https://youtu.be/WhenyFKf_Bo

Old 12-18-2017, 11:47 AM
DKM

While I enjoy a good video on Russian icebreakers, its hard to imagine why CNN would care to show something as normal as this. They also don't show videos about cucumber farming in Belarus, but I don't see the reason to point it out.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
While I enjoy a good video on Russian icebreakers, its hard to imagine why CNN would care to show something as normal as this. They also don't show videos about cucumber farming in Belarus, but I don't see the reason to point it out.
And CNN about Russia anything good at all show?They think the formula works differently.10% neutral news, the rest is about the bad. Or am I mistaken? In General you can not CNN , you can do about the media,do not indicate the same ) Only about the terrible corruption,regime, and so on ))

Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
DKM

Actually, other than elections/Trump interference, very few in the US or its media care at all about Russia, unlike what you see on Russian TV talking about America way too much (usually trying to show it not being as good as Russia). Russia is still insignificant to our world.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Bwa-ha-ha.
It's an easy game for Putin - dealing with his opponents from the right.
It's enough for him to remind about the nineties and he collects applauds with ease ( please Vladimir Vladimirovitch, be always our president.)
Because all these people - Sobchak, Navalny et al are connected in this or other way to SPS ( Union of Right Forces,) that Russians hate.
And that's why playing the "hard ball" with these people is easy, very easy for Putin.
It would be much more difficult for him to compete with people from the left, who can easily expose how "right" Putin is himself.
That's the kind of competition he is really afraid of, and the only thing that plays in his hands in this case is his international policies, not domestic ones, really.

( This is just an example of "left winger" talking...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml-WWUKULAA

(click on the video CC if necessary, it has English subtitles)
Russians aren't stupid. Putin has a proven track record as does his people. Could things be done differently? Perhaps. Who's got a better plan though? Russia is better off sticking to the path now.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:34 PM

This is a book I just finished. It's quite different. A sci fi crime novel/Russian fairy tale which dabbles in history and lore. Kings, sprites, princesses, domovoys, mass murderers, and future technology all rolled into one. A great book.

https://www.amazon.com/Belarus-Lee-H...cience+fiction

Old 12-18-2017, 12:35 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
And most of the tech is probably Finnish.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:14 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
No but that is a good one. I use the terms "reptilian" and "reptilian minds" in reference to politicians very often. Him and his buddies were debating and it came to how people think and what parts of our minds we use, the higher thoughtful creative mind or the more primitive instinctual reptile brain we inherited from our ancestors.

Polticians have minds like reptiles. Elon Musk sees things differently, with a higher mind.
If you could find the Sagan quote you were originally looking for could you post it here as I’d like to read it.

Elon Musk sees things differently because he’s not a politician and as grega94 told me cannot run for office because he was born in South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe