Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

A good assessment of Russian military modernization over the next 10 years. The Navy is going to get major funding cuts. Air Force is going to continue on the current path with major funding going to development, aquisition of 5th generation assets, building new and upgrading existing facilities and an emphasis on training all across the board.

Missile forces both nuclear and conventional to continue all across the board with added emphasis on modernization and development. Aquisition of new equipment is on track.

The Army/ Land forces is going to be the big winner. Considering the aggression from the west and economic constraints Russia has to play to its strengths. T-14 MBTs will be put into serial production along with Boorerang and Kurganets APCs to replace the older equipment still in use. Less conscription for the soldiery and more on volunteer/contract personnel with better pay and training plus new equipment with an emphasis on development of newer technology such as drones.

http://www.ponarseurasia.org/memo/ru...lans-2018-2027
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Newly Declassified Documents show Gorbachev WAS Told NATO Wouldn’t expand eastward

https://off-guardian.org/2017/12/15/...pand-eastward/

Old 12-17-2017, 11:49 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Where did you find it?
Especially for those who migrated and thoughts firmly stuck in the 90s?
I think that this is the vanguard of Russian poetic art at the moment. And I think it will be added to the general education curriculum in 50 years.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:16 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
video editing can do a lot to make a city look good or bad, however I do have to agree that Moscow is a bit more spiffy then the rest.
I was surprised to learn how developed (and spiffy) Ekaterinburg is. But then, it's the gem processing center of the Urals; there's a lot of money floating around there. The only other major gem center in Russia that I know of is in Yakutia, and it's only diamonds, whereas Ekaterinburg deals in a great variety of gems, some quite rare and beautiful.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Newly Declassified Documents show Gorbachev WAS Told NATO Wouldn’t expand eastward

https://off-guardian.org/2017/12/15/...pand-eastward/
Never trust the word of a politician. Period. End of story. Gorby should have known that but since we're here now the only thing left to questioon is why isn't Russia allowed into NATO too?

Maybe it's because someone doesn't want to solve the probem?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Sobchak and Putin debate.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=917_1513537007

On the one hand I see clearly what Putin and company are doing. They're playing hardball to maintain their power. I can see that, clearly. I do think Russia could use some new minds in high places. That being said I don't think that the likes of Navalny and Sobchak are the ones Russia needs. They would sell their own mothers and children for power, they don't understand how the world works and they sure as hell have no idea what is needed.

I agree with Putin, what do these people have to offer Russians? What is the mission? What is the means? Putin is so powerful because he keeps things in order in a nation where chaos comes all too readily. Russia doesn't need the chaos that will result with these amateurs in power.

The question for Russia is in the future, how do you shift gears?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Sobchak and Putin debate.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=917_1513537007

On the one hand I see clearly what Putin and company are doing. They're playing hardball to maintain their power. I can see that, clearly. I do think Russia could use some new minds in high places. That being said I don't think that the likes of Navalny and Sobchak are the ones Russia needs. They would sell their own mothers and children for power, they don't understand how the world works and they sure as hell have no idea what is needed.

I agree with Putin, what do these people have to offer Russians? What is the mission? What is the means? Putin is so powerful because he keeps things in order in a nation where chaos comes all too readily. Russia doesn't need the chaos that will result with these amateurs in power.

The question for Russia is in the future, how do you shift gears?

I did watch that video and I agree with you....the problem is how to create more political alternatives but still within the framework of Russia national interests...

Old 12-17-2017, 02:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was surprised to learn how developed (and spiffy) Ekaterinburg is. But then, it's the gem processing center of the Urals; there's a lot of money floating around there. The only other major gem center in Russia that I know of is in Yakutia, and it's only diamonds, whereas Ekaterinburg deals in a great variety of gems, some quite rare and beautiful.

I did recently watch a series of videos of someone that did the full Moscow to Vladivostok Trans-Siberian rail tour (months on the road) and he made a point of visiting even the less well known cities and areas and he was shocked how in good shape they were and how people were doing fine compared to what you often hear in the western media.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-17-2017 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
I'm glad we were apparently able to help the Russians foil that terrorist plot. It was the CIA that did this. Will ordinary Russians become less paranoid about the CIA as a result?

Old 12-17-2017, 03:20 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Don't worry, we see the self serving side of you. There is no right or wrong, good or bad and for better or worse the means justifies the end so long as you benefit. You're a politician.
Everyone is self serving. I’m just honest enough to admit it.

Quote:
People like me want something different. Peace and it's offspring, stability, foster prosperity for people. Chaos does just the opposite. Death, war, disease stifle human development. The Black Death didn't just kill people all those years ago, it killed untold human potential also. Where would we be if today had we not lost so much potential all those centuries ago?
The Black Death was a dark period for Europe indeed, however it took place at a time of stagnation. Europe went downhill during the Middle Ages. It took about a 1000 years to recover all the knowledge lost since the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

I would love to live in a world where peace and stability are the norm, but sadly don’t see that as a reality. There has never been a period of peace in the world during the course of human history.

Quote:
We may have conquered the plague (for now) but it seems to me we have another. Ideology. It serves no more purpose to us than a nuclear bomb in some warehouse/bunker in the midwest. Millions in capitol sits inert and serves no purpose other than to terrorize someone.
As much as I hate war, it has been the largest proponent of human advancement in history. Europe’s economic needs fueled colonialism and the discovery of the Western Hemisphere which finally gave as a link between the new and old worlds.
Was it harsh? Absolutely
Did millions die? Yes
We’re cultures subjugated? Totally

Yet, there is a naive notion going around that the native populations were docile. Nothing could be further from the truth as many of them engaged in conquests of their own. The Aztecs took over other nations and sacrificed many of their captives.

In today’s world the MIC, as bad as many of its purposes are, is a great progenitor of technological advancement. Thanks to its R&D, we have satellites, commercial drones, smartphones, aircraft... Many of the things we take for granted originated from nefarious purposes.

Quote:
What a waste. I think you should become a politician, you'd do well. Our current set of rulers with their current ideology do no one in this world any good, they do nothing to really advance humanity. For all our knowledge and skill, all our potential we still don't have cities in orbit or a city on the moon. We have the means and the skills we just don't have people who care for humanity and our future. Those who have the power are reptiles with reptilian minds, nothing better.
Here I agree with you. I would love to see humanity advance even further then it already has, with cities on the moon or Mars. That will eventually happen, though neither of us is likely to see it. Musk and Bezos want to expand humanity’s presence in the solar system.

I have no intention of becoming a politician. I can’t think of a single one I really like. Even Canada’s current PM is average at best. However, have you ever asked yourself the question why most politicians are terrible? Look at your everyday society and see how people act. People littering on the street, smoking where they shouldn’t, disregard for others in public places, vandalism...
How can we have intelligent politicians when we as a society act with total disregard for others. Politicians come from that toxic environment and carry it over to their own halls of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe