Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If there were no external enemy for real, Putin wouldn't have have gained popularity to begin with.
Yes, you're certainly proving my point. Sans a contrived external enemy, Putin would not be as popular as he currently is. What really motives Putin is power. Can't you see it's all a racket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:08 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yes, you're certainly proving my point. Sans a contrived external enemy, Putin would not be as popular as he currently is. What really motives Putin is power. Can't you see it's all a racket?
Maybe so, but realistically I think this will be Putin’s last term (he is going to win without a doubt) and so for the next 6 years he will be grooming a successor, and hopefully will decentralize things before he steps down, it will be interesting to say the least on how he plans to pass on the mantle.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
What really motives Putin is power.

Definitely but he also feels some sense of duty in bringing Russia back to world power status...and so far it's working....

Old 12-13-2017, 05:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
it will be interesting to say the least on how he plans to pass on the mantle.
Yes, that will be the most challenging aspect...how to pass the baton and preserve Russia geopolitical interests, no matter who is in power.....we will see if he build an effective "Deep State" so to speak....

Old 12-13-2017, 05:25 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Definitely but he also feels some sense of duty in bringing Russia back to world power status...and so far it's working....
That's one thing I can see about Putin, he cares about his country. I can't remember a US politicians I have ever known like that. Maybe a few here and there in my lifetime but hardly any.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:44 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
That's one thing I can see about Putin, he cares about his country. I can't remember a US politicians I have ever known like that. Maybe a few here and there in my lifetime but hardly any.
Even if so, it's human nature to be motivated by multiple and conflicting desires.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
No you are not proving my point.
"Contrived" means "deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously."
What Russians witnessed back in the nineties was nothing of "deliberate creation," but the actions of a very shrewd and kniving enemy, that was using a convenient time to destroy the country, while it was at its weakest point. ( I am talking about Americans of course.)
And that's the reason Russians are still holding on to Putin, as a leader who proved himself to be worldly enough ( unlike his predecessor) to reduce this danger.

Don't twist my words pls.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:47 PM

403 posts, read 221,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Maybe so, but realistically I think this will be Putin’s last term (he is going to win without a doubt) and so for the next 6 years he will be grooming a successor, and hopefully will decentralize things before he steps down, it will be interesting to say the least on how he plans to pass on the mantle.

He will be grooming Medvedev?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
[/b]

He will be grooming Medvedev?
I don’t know but I doubt it, for One he is not very popular, he comes across as arrogant, or so I’be heard. And secondly Putin gave him a chance as president before and I don’t think he was pleased with him, and took back the presidency. But who knows 6 years is quite a bit of time and anything can happen, but I have a feeling it will be somebody we don’t even really know. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Putin picks a different prime minister for the next term.

Btw does anyone know if Putin announced officially who he has chosen as prime minister?

Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,674 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe