Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times

Advertisements

anyway back to the whole fighter jet and tank thing. Here is the wiki article on SU 57
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-57

currently 9 prototypes exist, and will be released in 2019
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 02:01 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Look it up, Pak Fa/ T-50. I think they gave it a new name, SU 57. This was announced way back when I was living in Moscow in 2006 and I remember it was supposed to dominate our F22's. As if a 3rd rate nation with an economy the size of Australia can pretend to be a superpower, but at the time with all the oil money flowing it seemed possible. Still waiting....

I know the T-14 Armata tanks are supposed to be all that too, but when are they going to actually, you know, make them? They have enough for the parades and TV shows about how much better they are than American kit.

A much needed dose of reality here

First. Let me address your incredible ignorance (sorry do not get offended but there is no other way to label your statement) in defining Russia a "3rd rate country", have the humility (and the will) to learn about Russia history and contributions to the arts and science.

Second. Let me educate you about GDP....GDP does not mean much and nominal GDP means even less...is a bit more accurate when you calculate GDP by PPP (Parity Purchasing Power)

By GDP (PPP) Russia (IMF data source) is the 6th country in the world (China is first and US is second), by this more accurate measurement, Russia is actually ahead of the United Kingdom (#9) or France (#10).....Germany is #5.

Australia is............#19

The former PM of Australia Paul Keating once called Australia economy a "Banana Republic"...it is just a resource play like a 3rd world country but with a more equitable society.

Sure then you have to calculate GDP per capita and talk about inequality.....but defining Russia a "3rd rate country" shows an enormous and pathetic amount of blind ignorance.

Third. Russia has very little public debt and basically no external debt and mostly a balanced budget....not to mention the ability of being completely independent (energy, food, natural resources and technology)....many advanced countries wish to be "3rd rate" like that. LOL

Look at how skillfully Russia Central Bank managed the drop in value of the ruble...it did not move a finger to defend it (someone called the Central bank Governor, Elvira Nabiullina, "Paul Vocker with a skirt")....let it ride and let the financial actors short it...at some point you need to buy my stuff and you need rubles (and the speculators need to cover their shorts)....if you do not have them, you get caught with your pants down....does that look like a 3rd rate country behavior to you?? ahahaha LOL

Fourth. The weakest link in Russia military capability is the Navy, something the Russians candidly admit even in their "propaganda" media and are slowly addressing....the 4 aircraft carrier battle groups planned (project 23000 E, the Shtorm class) were going in that direction but well known budget issues slowed the program....so they are forced to keep that floating POS, the Admiral Kuznetsov, around for quite longer....

Russia has some of the best (and cost effective) conventional jet fighters in the world and it has mastered thrust vectoring years before the West......sure they are behind in stealth technology (and rapidly catching up)....sometimes you are ahead and sometimes you are behind.

Russia missile capabilities (strategic, cruise and anti aircraft) are nothing short of formidable, very advanced.

A loose alliance between China and Russia (something the "experts" considered impossible, the times of Kissinger skillfully playing them against each other are long gone by Kissinger own admission, he is one of the few rational voices in this mad environment advocating for re-opening a dialogue with Russia) is forming.....

Russia and China do not want to compete militarily with the US head-to-head...all they want and need is contain US military adventurism with credible military deterrence in their sphere of influence. Russia ending of Syria campaign (it showed a cost effective projection of power and very sophisticated diplomatic skills) is a watershed moment and it may historically mark Russia de-facto return as a world power.
Ukraine is where Russia said "Enough is enough", a red line of sort.

Finally, I hope for the Russian that their SU-57 program will go more smoothly than the failure prone and the crazy costly F-22 or that POS with wings that is the F-35 (delayed again)

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-12-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
So well armed that it can't take back 2 small rogue separatist "terrorist" republics? ISIS probably put up a better fight than Ukraine could.

So far, Ukraine is a flat broke, humiliated and chopped up country (loss of Crimea and the breakaway Donbass), Russia is back as a world power with Putin being the new peacemaker in the Middle East....I guess who is losing here.....

Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Russian military power is obviously an enigma, and it's really difficult to determine what its real capabilities are. After all, the 90's was a period of quick disarmament both in Western Europe and Russia. What didn't change though is that all NATO countries are a part of cooperating force, while Russia is alone in the technological sense.

The Georgian War revealed some serious problems in the Russian doctrine, but as that is almost 10 years ago, I'm certain that big problems have been dealt with.

If you exclude nuclear weapons, in conventional warfare I believe that Russia has a well organised and trained spearhead which can occupy a certain area fast, but after that it's more problematic. 2nd line units are likely quite capable, but fighting with outdated armament. The 3rd line are simply conscripts and reservists.

Russia very cost effective projection of power in Syria has raised quite few eyebrows in the west......the Georgian war is ancient history measured against the very rapid modernization and re-organization of Russia armed forces.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So yes, as the direct result of it, Putin's capitalism is full of oligarchy, nepotism and corruption, but looking at America now - it's not fairing much better because of number of reasons.
It looks like we are entering a twilight zone, when two corrupt entities are going against each other, and things will get probably worse, before they'll get any better.

Putin had no choice than reproduce the same Deep State/Corporate/Military Industrial Complex apparatus like the one in place in the US (or the UK, or France, any world power of any significance) in "Russian sauce"....the US has clear geopolitical, strategic and economic interests no matter who is in power, you may have tweaking at the edges that's it......you have to make sure that, similarly, Russia interests survive Putin the strongman....

Old 12-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Still attributing arguments to me that I did not make. Russia isn't holding back, it cannot occupy Kiev. They don't have the actual ability to do it. They did 3 years ago but now, no way. Ukraine is well armed and motivated to defend itself.

Russia vs. Ukraine is the equivalent of you against a fly with this

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-12-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 02:53 PM

By the way, in a survey conducted by the Ukrainian channel NewsOne (full disclosure the program's host worked as an advisor for Yanukovich in the past) 92% of respondents said that they would vote for Yanukovish back.....47.000 total participants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA5NYwF0rXc

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-12-2017 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 02:54 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Russia vs. Ukraine is the equivalent of you against a fly with this

It's not always easy to swat a fly though. They are very fast and agile.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It's not always easy to swat a fly though. They are very fast and agile.

True....it may take 3-4 swats....

I love one particular comment in the first video of these air strikes in Syria.

"Poroshenko! do you watch this?

this is what Russian aggression looks like!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nsT6aWGq8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJZr49dkOA

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-12-2017 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 04:40 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
anyway back to the whole fighter jet and tank thing. Here is the wiki article on SU 57
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-57

currently 9 prototypes exist, and will be released in 2019
It's always 2 years out. Been that way since Medvedev was president. I watched it on the news while in Moscow...and I haven't been in Moscow in a longggg time

As for taking back the Donbas, have you seen them attempt to do this since the Minsk agreement was signed? Ukraine's western partners would never support this. I also can't imagine why too many would want Donetsk back in Ukraine, it is ruined and a criminal gang haven. Defense against further encroachment though, that's another matter entirely.

Last edited by DKM; 12-12-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe