Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 12:23 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,239 times

Advertisements

They say that the balls for the draw were scratches !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 05:01 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
How is Russia after world cup drawing , Maksim , Turist ? Happy ?
This is a great festival regardless of politics.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
They say that the balls for the draw were scratches !
Yes, Uruguay received the weakest basket.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Bottle/can (банка) in Russian refers to storage containers for whatever purpose.
I thought about the correct word in English for a long time.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I thought about the correct word in English for a long time.
beaker

Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM

536 posts, read 323,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
This is a great festival regardless of politics.
You got an easy group, though , so I guess the expectations are big in Russia . I hope you will make it at least out of the group stage . I want the final Russia-Germany , this would be a true Battle of Moscow . It always good to see the host go far . I remember you guys were good in 2008 . Arshavin was a star then . I know your coach . He has good reputation in Poland .

Old 12-04-2017, 09:05 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Bottle/can (банка) in Russian refers to storage containers for whatever purpose.

It's no smoking gun. Handling the bottles could result in marks. How do you know they were not mishandled at the factory that made them? I wonder how many glass vials with marks on them could be found at the local hospital anywhere in the world? How many times have those bottles been reused?

It's more about politics than anything else. Such nonsense is all too common.
I never thought of the connection between banka and bank , but now it makes perfect sense, they both store things, banks store money, and a banka is a miniature bank, but can store other things, not just money. however the word bank comes from old Italian banca or middle French banque, both meaning table, in reference to moneylender's exchange table.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
The english verb "sit" is "sadeet" in Russian. The old english/nordic word for sit is also "sadeet". It is seen on a lot medievil tapestries and scripture throughout Europe.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 PM

651 posts, read 415,875 times
Default Russian "banka" - etimology is unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I never thought of the connection between banka and bank , but now it makes perfect sense, they both store things, banks store money, and a banka is a miniature bank, but can store other things, not just money. however the word bank comes from old Italian banca or middle French banque, both meaning table, in reference to moneylender's exchange table.
There is a thing has properties both a bank and a bottle. This is a piggy bank - a glass statue with a hole on the top to throw metal moneys in it. I think it was more popular about 50-100 years ago and now this tradition disappears (in Russia almost). I mean you can see money boxes in public places but few children have piggy banks to collect moneys.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
There is a thing has properties both a bank and a bottle. This is a piggy bank - a glass statue with a hole on the top to throw metal moneys in it. I think it was more popular about 50-100 years ago and now this tradition disappears (in Russia almost). I mean you can see money boxes in public places but few children have piggy banks to collect moneys.
yeah, but banka is such a generic term these day, piggy bank is very specific term. Is there a word for bottle/can that is of Slavic origin? There is botilka and canistra but those aren't Slavic origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe