Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
I'm sure you know Turkey is not an Arab country.Secularity in Turkey is under constant attack unfortunately.My hope is something will change in the elections in 2019.
Of course I know it isn’t an Arab country, never suggested otherwise. All I said was that despite its problems, Turkey is still far ahead in its secular stance than any other Arab country in the ME or Iran. Both Israel and Turkey, despite having a strong religious current, still offer a greater degree of tolerance than any other ME country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Hey Maksim, just curious have you spoken with locals in Crimea, particularly Tatars as well as Ukrainians? I heard that schools don't offer Ukrainian language any longer in Crimea. I also heard there are a lot of raids in Tatar communities and a lot of Tatars getting arrested. But this is mainly from western news sources, My dad who still keeps in touch with family and friends has no bad news to share so was just wondering from your point of view.
It seemed to me that people there are divided into 2 categories. Urban residents who do not have land. They are very satisfied with joining Russia. And rural residents who have land. They sometimes attach lands to their sites in violation of legislation. They are not happy, because government can be taken away their lands.

Also people are unhappy that people in the Crimean government remained the same as in past. Many people hoped for change, but Russia did not make major changes, which is quite logical (this could provoke protests).

Merchants are unhappy with a tightening of requirements for trade. But I am satisfied with the tightening of requirements, because food has become safer.

People were unhappy with the complexity of a new paperwork.

In my opinion, the problem with the Tatars is exaggerated. They are mostly rural residents and worry about their farming and their business. But this is not political unrest. Only a small part of the Tatars has a political requirement. The history of relationship between Russians and Crimean Tatars is not only deportation in the 20th century. There is still a history before the 20th century, and I think everyone understands this.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 09-27-2017 at 12:28 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I heard that schools don't offer Ukrainian language any longer in Crimea.
Even in Ukraine's times, Ukrainian schools were almost non-existent in the Crimea. If I'm not mistaken, there were only 7 schools for the entire peninsula (2 million people) in 2010.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:03 AM

779 posts, read 595,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Even in Ukraine's times, Ukrainian schools were almost non-existent in the Crimea. If I'm not mistaken, there were only 7 schools for the entire peninsula (2 million people) in 2010.
Yes, but the younger generation had already gone to Western Europe to clean the toilets of Deutsche Bank and HSBC et al., so 7 schools would've been sufficient? What is the average age of a person living in Crimea anyway, 60?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Yes, but the younger generation had already gone to Western Europe to clean the toilets of Deutsche Bank and HSBC et al., so 7 schools would've been sufficient?
The Ukrainian population is unequivocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
What is the average age of a person living in Crimea anyway, 60?
The average age in the Crimea is 40 years.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Vladivostok. City on the edge of Russia.
Photos and history:

sdelanounas.ru

sdelanounas.ru

sdelanounas.ru

sdelanounas.ru

sdelanounas.ru

more: sdelanounas.ru/blogs/98494

video:

https://youtu.be/xK23RHXXlJ4

Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Be careful before ordering the beef pot pie in Russian restaurant

'Russian cannibal couple made human meat pies' | Daily Mail Online

Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Take away the huge bridge and Vladivostock sort of reminds me of Sevastopol.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

In my opinion, the problem with the Tatars is exaggerated. They are mostly rural residents and worry about their farming and their business. But this is not political unrest. Only a small part of the Tatars has a political requirement. The history of relationship between Russians and Crimean Tatars is not only deportation in the 20th century. There is still a history before the 20th century, and I think everyone understands this.
Is that why yesterday Russia sentenced one of their leaders to 2 years in a penal colony? Umerov's crime was being against the annexation. Yeah there won't be political unrest because even saying Russia does not own Crimea is a criminal offense there now. They won't even allow the Tatars to freely elect their own governing body because it won't be "Pro Russian". Oppressive Russians control Tatars through this kind of intimidation mixed in with disappearance and torture. That's not some propaganda, I'm quoting the UN report.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Take away the huge bridge and Vladivostock sort of reminds me of Sevastopol.
kinda reminds me of a larger version of its sister city, Tacoma.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eet_Bridge.jpg

http://beyondseattle.com/wp-content/...ht-winter1.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7465/1...24afbdcc_b.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe