Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 03:16 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Is that why yesterday Russia sentenced one of their leaders to 2 years in a penal colony? Umerov's crime was being against the annexation. Yeah there won't be political unrest because even saying Russia does not own Crimea is a criminal offense there now. They won't even allow the Tatars to freely elect their own governing body because it won't be "Pro Russian". Oppressive Russians control Tatars through this kind of intimidation mixed in with disappearance and torture. That's not some propaganda, I'm quoting the UN report.
The Chekists are in control, get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 11:58 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Is that why yesterday Russia sentenced one of their leaders to 2 years in a penal colony? Umerov's crime was being against the annexation. Yeah there won't be political unrest because even saying Russia does not own Crimea is a criminal offense there now. They won't even allow the Tatars to freely elect their own governing body because it won't be "Pro Russian". Oppressive Russians control Tatars through this kind of intimidation mixed in with disappearance and torture. That's not some propaganda, I'm quoting the UN report.
Most Tatars do not participate in this political games. Russian legislation operates on the territory of the Crimea. I think that playing the national card will not yield profits for West and Ukraine. Russians know how to get along with a indigenous populations.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:12 AM

Interesting article about US media. Russian language.
carnegie.ru/commentary/73206

Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 AM

btw, articles about a construction of infrastructure in the Crimea (updated):

sdelanounas.ru/blogs/?search=%D0%9A%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BC

Old 09-28-2017, 03:00 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Most Tatars do not participate in this political games. Russian legislation operates on the territory of the Crimea. I think that playing the national card will not yield profits for West and Ukraine. Russians know how to get along with a indigenous populations.
Says who? Their leaders keep getting arrested or not allowed back into Crimea. What evidence do you have that the people actually prefer this new government arresting them and not allowing them to have their holidays like they used to?

Old 09-28-2017, 03:02 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
btw, articles about a construction of infrastructure in the Crimea (updated):

sdelanounas.ru/blogs/?search=%D0%9A%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BC
Good news for Crimea, the infrastructure was very neglected under Ukraine.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Good news for Crimea, the infrastructure was very neglected under Ukraine.
One of the reasons for the neglect was the history of the Crimea. Kruschov gifted it to UkrSSR in the 50s but the Duma of the USSR did not ratify it. Since custody was questionable it was not practical to invest there.

I think its actually better because of it. It's not so over developed as the beaches of Europe are and have been. I wonder if Crimeans would approve of droves of British vacationers trashing their lovely coastlines.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:11 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
One of the reasons for the neglect was the history of the Crimea. Kruschov gifted it to UkrSSR in the 50s but the Duma of the USSR did not ratify it. Since custody was questionable it was not practical to invest there.

I think its actually better because of it. It's not so over developed as the beaches of Europe are and have been. I wonder if Crimeans would approve of droves of British vacationers trashing their lovely coastlines.
I don’t remember if it was before or after annexation, but I remember seeing videos of people building giant apartments in the middle of vineyards along the southern coast, without consideration of the huge shadows casted on the vines which lowered the grape quality, and the fact that pesticides would get sprayed on the apartments too. And I also remember reading somewhere that the beaches are being privatized, when the entire coastline used to be public land?

Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don’t remember if it was before or after annexation, but I remember seeing videos of people building giant apartments in the middle of vineyards along the southern coast, without consideration of the huge shadows casted on the vines which lowered the grape quality, and the fact that pesticides would get sprayed on the apartments too. And I also remember reading somewhere that the beaches are being privatized, when the entire coastline used to be public land?
Here's something you never hear about re: Russian agriculture--use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Are pesticides used widely? I noticed that people's kitchen gardens in the Far East had remarkably healthy, pest-free vegetables, but pesticides weren't used. That speaks to the richness of the soil; the plants apparently get enough nutrients from the soil that they can naturally fend off pests. US soils became depleted very quickly, to the point where Congress in the 1920's and 30's remarked on the poor soil quality. Chemicals have been used ever since.

Is there info on fertilizer and pesticide use publicly available in Russia? You know, because Russians who visit the US think it sounds very odd to talk about stores that carry "organic" food, which translates as "ecologically clean" in Russian. They always wonder what kind of "products" one gets in the regular stores, if one has to go to special stores to get "clean" ones. I suspect they're uninformed about farming practices at home, though.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is there info on fertilizer and pesticide use publicly available in Russia?
Yes, of course, pesticides is actively used by agricultural companies. As I understand it, capacity of a pesticide market in Russia is about 10-15% of the US market (in dollar terms). It's more than a billion dollars.

alto-group.ru/otchot/marketing/417-rynok-gerbicidov-tekushhaya-situaciya-i-prognoz-2015-2019-gg.html

By the way, this year a record harvest of wheat was harvested (in tons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe