Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 12:32 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Has anyone here been to the Komandorski (commander) islands?
By the way, how many Russians in general travel domestic each year? I suppose Black sea region is popular because of it's climate and as well Moscow and Petersburg.
But has any of the Russian posters of this forum been eg to Kamchatka, Sakhalin, Chukotka, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Omsk, Tomsk, Surgut and other such places? What is the most distant or atypical place where you have been to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 01:50 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
By the way, how many Russians in general travel domestic each year? I suppose Black sea region is popular because of it's climate and as well Moscow and Petersburg.
But has any of the Russian posters of this forum been eg to Kamchatka, Sakhalin, Chukotka, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Omsk, Tomsk, Surgut and other such places? What is the most distant or atypical place where you have been to?
Anhity, I have an impression, that Russians still love what they call "tourism" ( i.e. going somewhere into wilderness just with tents and their surviving skills.)
So if they hop on the train and head in *Eastern* direction - it's not for the cities you mention, but the "wilderness." I come across those pictures from time to time on my FB page.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
This is a good question. Besides the Black Sea, where do Russian citizens take their vacations, domestically? My guess would be -- somewhere in the Caucasus, as a possible top choice. Behind that, maybe scenic towns on the Volga? Kamchatka is way too far away (expensive. Anyone with the money to buy a round-trip ticket there would have money to vacation outside of Russia), and Sakhalin has too much of an image of a place of exile in the old days, to draw any interest from people in Western Russia. (Also expensive to get to--remote. Same w/Khabarofsk.)

They have an interesting train trip up into the Archangelsk area; I wonder if anyone (besides foreigners) vacations there? Maybe some try a vacation in Pskov or Novgorod? Probably even Baikal is too far away for most people, but I bet it gets a few tourists.

I like this question.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good question. Besides the Black Sea, where do Russian citizens take their vacations, domestically? My guess would be -- somewhere in the Caucasus, as a possible top choice. Behind that, maybe scenic towns on the Volga? Kamchatka is way too far away (expensive. Anyone with the money to buy a round-trip ticket there would have money to vacation outside of Russia), and Sakhalin has too much of an image of a place of exile in the old days, to draw any interest from people in Western Russia. (Also expensive to get to--remote. Same w/Khabarofsk.)

They have an interesting train trip up into the Archangelsk area; I wonder if anyone (besides foreigners) vacations there? Maybe some try a vacation in Pskov or Novgorod? Probably even Baikal is too far away for most people, but I bet it gets a few tourists.

I like this question.
Ruth until recent times, a vacation to Turkey was cheaper than vacationing within Russia ( Caucasus including.) So that's where everyone looking for the sea/ocean shore was heading to.
Now of course Crimea has more crowds of those who come on vacation there.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:36 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
1. What Russians think of Japan and China ?
2. If you had opportunity move to U.S what state you will choose to live ?
3. What are top car brands in Russia ?
4. What Russians do in the summer time ?
5. Top Russian singers Hiphop/R&B/Rock currently ?
6. When you last time you visited the U.S and what was your thoughts ?

Old 05-21-2018, 06:00 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
1. What Russians think of Japan and China ?
Japanese are crazy.
Chinese are very cool.

Quote:
2. If you had opportunity move to U.S what state you will choose to live ?
I don't know. Not New York and not California. Rather Texas. But the opinion can change if I visit there.

Quote:
3. What are top car brands in Russia ?
Too many. German, French, English, Japanese, S. Korean, American brands. Now began to appear Chinese.
American: Ford, Chevrolet, Jeep, etc.

Quote:
4. What Russians do in the summer time ?
Russians fry meat in nature and dachas, visit ancient Russian cities with excursions, bathe in rivers.

Quote:
5. Top Russian singers Hiphop/R&B/Rock currently ?
Hiphop: Noize MC, Oxxxymiron, Hasky, Kasta, Timati
R&B (not shure): Nastya Kamensky and Potap, Bianca
Rock: too many. Look music thread.

Quote:
6. When you last time you visited the U.S and what was your thoughts ?
Most Russians were not in the US.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 AM

403 posts, read 221,782 times
Quote:
Yes, I explored mainly Black sea (Crimea), Azov sea, Moscow, St.Petersburg, Volgograd in my childhood.
In my teens we loved to go to Kaliningrad, Klaipeda every summer in August - less people, cooler. Explored stunning Nida dunes, picked amber after storm.
Russians do not travel for pleasure to Siberia. I think.
Several of my classmates - those who chose military career or were/are married to them (including my sister) lived in Kamchatka, Sakhalin, Arkhangelsk, Chukotka. Many came back home to settle after their service or to big two cities, but one classmate, actually, settled in Tomsk and loves it or so he says.
I, personally, would love to take a one way Trans-Siberian trip.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
Yes, I explored mainly Black sea (Crimea), Azov sea, Moscow, St.Petersburg, Volgograd in my childhood.
In my teens we loved to go to Kaliningrad, Klaipeda every summer in August - less people, cooler. Explored stunning Nida dunes, picked amber after storm.

Russians do not travel for pleasure to Siberia. I think.
Several of my classmates - those who chose military career or were/are married to them (including my sister) lived in Kamchatka, Sakhalin, Arkhangelsk, Chukotka. Many came back home to settle after their service or to big two cities, but one classmate, actually, settled in Tomsk and loves it or so he says.
I, personally, would love to take a one way Trans-Siberian trip.
Yeah Straight Arrow - but those were SOVIET TIMES. When travelling (price of tickets) was cheap and affordable.
It's a different story in CAPITALIST Russia.

P.S. When I look at this particular pic of Brezhnev, "So how are you doing there, guys? Do you have enough of sausages now?" - it makes me chuckle somewhat))

Last edited by erasure; 05-21-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Japanese are crazy.
Chinese are very cool.
Russians living in the Far East and Siberia ABSOLUTELY HATE the CHINESE.
They HATE their business that's encroaching in the area for the predatory practices, and devastation that they leave cutting out the forest.
I am surprised that you know nothing about the situation.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Japanese are crazy.
Chinese are very cool.

I don't know. Not New York and not California. Rather Texas. But the opinion can change if I visit there.

Too many. German, French, English, Japanese, S. Korean, American brands. Now began to appear Chinese.
American: Ford, Chevrolet, Jeep, etc.

Russians fry meat in nature and dachas, visit ancient Russian cities with excursions, bathe in rivers.

Hiphop: Noize MC, Oxxxymiron, Hasky, Kasta, Timati
R&B (not shure): Nastya Kamensky and Potap, Bianca
Rock: too many. Look music thread.

Most Russians were not in the US.
why do you think Japanese are crazy? I just came back from Japan and the people there are very nice and respectful. Also from the looks of it, they seem to be very hard working too. One thing that kinda surprised me is that instead of grass lawns or flower beds, their front yards almost always was a vegetable patch, or at least in the smaller cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe