Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yes I agree that he did a pretty lousy job at answering why the dissolution of the soviet union was such a catastrophe, but it is his answer non the less. Now the reason why I think Russia doesn't have a priority of attracting the entire Russian diaspora back into Russia is because they would rather use them as a soft power tool for instance in the formation of Russian lobbies. However as countries become ever more anti-Russian, and short term baby boom fades away, due to the fact there are much less people in their teens and lower 20s to replace the upper 20s/30s people, so I think there might be a policy change under way to try and attract young Russian people in order to prevent the next demographic crunch.

If you look at the current labor force, Russia is pretty high up at number 6 with 76,530,000 people higher than countries such as Nigeria, Bangladesh, and Pakistan, but these countries have a lot of children that will soon enter the labor force where as Russia's labor force will be retiring soon, though the new retirement age will post pone that by a few years. So if Russia wants to stay competitive they need to attract those 25 million Russians to move back.

top 12 labor force

1. China: 806,700,000
2. India: 521,900,000
3. USA: 160,400,000
4. Indonesia: 125,000,000
5. Brazil: 104,200,000
6. Russia: 76,530,000
7. Bangladesh: 66,640,000
8. Japan: 65,010,000
9. Pakistan: 63,890,000
10. Nigeria: 60,080,000
11. Vietnam: 54,800,000
12. Mexico: 54,510,000

total population - labor force

1. India: 827,600,000
2. China: 579,900,000
3. USA: 165,600,000
4. Indonesia: 137,600,000
5. Pakistan: 136,090,000
6. Nigeria: 130,200,000
7. Brazil: 106,500,000
8. Bangladesh: 97,570,000
9. Mexico: 67,790,000
10. Russia: 66,970,000
11. Egypt: 62,660,000
12. Japan: 62,290,000
The question is - how many of them are actually ethnic Russians, vs the *gastarbeiters* from Central Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Because it's convenient for propaganda machine.
To be fair, left and right wing don't really mean much these days. People still use those terms, but they have different meaning nowadays. Plus, I don't think that either left or right are necessarily good. Far too many people try to project their own skewed views onto others while labeling people who they dislike either "left" or "right" to try and denigrate them.

Quote:
Well that and grand parades on the Red Square on the 9th of May. Pretty much.
The Moscow International Business Center is quite impressive if you ask me.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
What is this talk about "25 million" Russians to attract back? The majority of them from 1991 have left, came back or died. There aren't still anywhere close to 25 million Russians outside of Russia in the former USSR. They did institute programs to bring back some people left in the central asian states, I know some personally from Kyrgizia for example. They brought them back to the cities that had major population drains, particularly north of Moscow. You could find a few million in Kazakhstan but that's about it. Ethnic Russians in Ukraine, maybe a few million more but the ones who want to be in Russia already are, or at least are in territory controlled by Russia.

This whole notion of "ethnic" Russians is a troubling one, as it borrows from ethnic nationalism. They want to claim people who speak Russian as their own, or if their family emigrated from Russia that they are still Russian. They displayed this idea at the opening of the Sochi Games.

No one was talking about that. No discussion of "attracting 25 million Russians."
But there were plenty of Russians who were left behind in different republics, and wanted to move to Russia. But they didn't have any means and no help from Russian government.
The law of repatriation was signed only in 2006.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
To be fair, left and right wing don't really mean much these days. People still use those terms, but they have different meaning nowadays. Plus, I don't think that either left or right are necessarily good. Far too many people try to project their own skewed views onto others while labeling people who they dislike either "left" or "right" to try and denigrate them.
Oh yeah?
You haven't been to Political section of this forum lately...

Quote:
The Moscow International Business Center is quite impressive if you ask me.
The question was -

"What is actually a real soviet thing what Putin has given back to the nostalgic Russian people?"

So pay attention pls)))

Old 07-25-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Maxim, they portray corruption here as some plump little lady ( not a big deal kinda..)
But did you read the figures I've posted earlier?

"So what about Russia? Add up its two-plus decades of fat export surpluses and it should have socked away investments abroad equal to about 230% of national income—and that’s not including the return earned on the gains on those investments, which should have yielded a heck of a lot more.

Most of that wealth, however, doesn’t turn up in Russia’s official ledgers. As of 2015, its official net foreign assets—the value of what a country owns overseas, minus the value of domestic assets owned by foreigners—totaled a mere 26% of national income, according to the economists’ calculations.

Simple math implies that a share of those accumulated surpluses worth more than 200% of Russia’s current national income has disappeared. Considering the steady annual returns that would likely have been earned on those investment, the economists put the total missing foreign wealth on the order 300% of Russia’s current national income, or more."

https://qz.com/1330955/russias-missing-wealth/

So corruption in Russia shouldn't be laughingly portrayed as some little plump lady, ( this gives a wrong impression,) but as one humongous elephant instead.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,210 times
Quote:
Oh yeah?

Yes! The forums are trolls trying to swing. Political Internet robots have destroyed everything, especially YouTube. . As a left-wing activist, he suffers greatly, but for some reason writes from Lviv, Krakow, Prague or somewhere else. But soon there will be more. The United States approved the program of cyber warfare in social networks under the pretext of protection from "Russian invasion in the elections", of course)) so expect new active left, competently making proposals (writing )in English.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Yes! On forums trolls try to swing. Political Internet robots , all the movies up, particularly on YouTube trying. The Internet forces neighbors, also try to full. As a left-wing activist, fiercely suffering, so address, Lviv,Krakow, Prague or wherever.))) But soon there will be more. The United States has approved a program of cyberwarfare on social networks,under the pretext of course, in another way)) So we are waiting for the invasion ,Yes.
Who is "left-wing activist?" What's about it?
Sorry, I don't understand your post.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Oh yeah?
Au contraire my dear, I go there quite often. If anything, the current environment of denigrating your opposition by labeling them as either left or right has convinced me that those terms mean very little nowadays.

Quote:
The question was -

"What is actually a real soviet thing what Putin has given back to the nostalgic Russian people?"

So pay attention pls))) ]
It was a joke, haha.

But, I do think they complement the skyline quite nicely.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:50 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,210 times
Quote:
Who is "left-wing activist?" What's about it?
Sorry, I don't understand your post.
Message corrected. It is very difficult to get something right from an interpreter. The post that is on forums, trolls, very much distort a picture . You would think that 90% of the population of the country almost revolts, but in fact, if the left organize some event, a rally or something else, then out of the 400,000 population of the city, the event comes 200 people in total , half of the freaks who came and local crazy. (this is from personal observation)

Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
I wonder why many people here and there still think Putin is a left winger or Russia has still something to do with communism. What is actually a real soviet thing what Putin has given back to the nostalgic Russian people? State anthem with soviet melody?
The American left (Democrats) used to love Russia all the way until Donald Trump got elected President in 2016. Now, the left blames Russian meddling in U.S. elections for Hillary Clinton's loss and they say Trump is Putin's puppet.

What a complicated world this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe