Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Why would Germans want to acquire the bunch of Russians living in that territory?
Or are you saying that the population is still GERMAN there? If yes, then it would make sense, but only then.
There are no Germans still in Kalingrad. They were kicked out after WW2, and became refugees, who were all resettled in present-day Germany.

Kalingrad (formerly Königsberg) has been totally Russian for nearly 70 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 9,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
In any case I do not see a more worthy candidate than he. Bad government is better than a good civil war.
Maksim, I know. And Putin and really does a lot for the country.
But there are a huge number of officials who steal money. And I think you understand me.
"Bad government is better than a good civil war." it's true.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Finland was a part of Russia. Like all post-Soviet countries. But it does not mean that they must return to Russia.
I know, I know.
But if people of Karelia want it, Government allowed make this?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are no Germans still in Kalingrad. They were kicked out after WW2, and became refugees, who were all resettled in present-day Germany.

Kalingrad (formerly Königsberg) has been totally Russian for nearly 70 years.
Yes. But I'm talking about something else.
If the residents of Kaliningrad (Russian) would be willing to become Europeans.
Even if 100% of the people voted in favor of the Kaliningrad region's accession to Europe, the Russian government would not be allowed to do so.
That's about what I said in response to Maxim.

Last edited by 51rus; 06-28-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51rus View Post
Ruth4Truth
Thanks.
It's true.
"The more that things change, the more they stay the same"
So much potential in Russia.
My environment is a professor and Ph.D. Their life is a science. It's realy cool.
In the past, scientists have created an engine created quantum mechanics, sent man into space.
the world is experiencing revolutionary discoveries.
But Wait in Russia focus on defenses.

Rent an apartment - 140-180$/month. Earlier it was less. I know what in Europe most people to rent. But not in Russia. (this is due to problems in the past)

""Government employees have hundreds and thousands of times more salary"? Really?? What kind of gov't employees?"
Yep, it's true.
Vice premera Russia has four apartments in Russia (500 sq. meters), rent house in Russia (4,200 sq. meters) rented house in Austria (1,500 square meters) and a flat in the UK (480 sq. meters)
And many such examples. Not everything I know. About a lot of people do not have the information. I think this people only higher-level employees.
Secretaries and clerks don't have big money. I work at the university. It's governmental sector. And I do not know one professor, a scientist, a teacher, who drives a Mercedes s-class or BMW and has a property abroad (even for rent)
Of course if you compare yourself to the highest politicians, your salary will look like a joke. (Not to mention that there is huge corruption at the top, that allows for those luxuries.) That's not a realistic comparison. And in the West, scientists/university professors don't drive a Mercedes or BMW, generally. They're happy with more ordinary cars. It's important to be realistic in your comparisons. However, it sounds like you can't even afford a car.

The scientists who make better money are the ones who work for the national laboratories doing research and inventing new things for national security and that sort of thing. I live near one of those labs, so I know how the scientists live, more or less. Still, they don't drive a Mercedes or BMW. But they have a nice house. They live comfortably, and they save money for retirement. It really isn't a lavish lifestyle, though. Einstein, for example (he worked for awhile at the lab near me), lived an ordinary middle-class life.

You said you get paid about $150/month, but then you said that rent on the apartment costs about that much. This doesn't make sense, especially since you're not in or near Moscow.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course if you compare yourself to the highest politicians, your salary will look like a joke. (Not to mention that there is huge corruption at the top, that allows for those luxuries.) That's not a realistic comparison. And in the West, scientists/university professors don't drive a Mercedes or BMW, generally. They're happy with more ordinary cars. It's important to be realistic in your comparisons. However, it sounds like you can't even afford a car.

The scientists who make better money are the ones who work for the national laboratories doing research and inventing new things for national security and that sort of thing. I live near one of those labs, so I know how the scientists live, more or less. Still, they don't drive a Mercedes or BMW. But they have a nice house. They live comfortably, and they save money for retirement. It really isn't a lavish lifestyle, though. Einstein, for example (he worked for awhile at the lab near me), lived an ordinary middle-class life.

You said you get paid about $150/month, but then you said that rent on the apartment costs about that much. This doesn't make sense, especially since you're not in or near Moscow.
The salaries in the academia vary greatly. A tenured professor at a decent university should be quite able to afford a luxury car. Not a top of the line luxury, perhaps. But they would be in the upper percentiles of a typical middle class salary.

An adjunct professor on a contract ? Not so well paid. Still not poor by any means.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:41 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The salaries in the academia vary greatly. A tenured professor at a decent university should be quite able to afford a luxury car. Not a top of the line luxury, perhaps. But they would be in the upper percentiles of a typical middle class salary.

An adjunct professor on a contract ? Not so well paid. Still not poor by any means.
It all depends on the cost of living where s/he lives (they can't even afford to buy a house in Berkeley, for example), whether s/he has kids, etc. Some may be able to afford a luxury car, but I've never seen one with such a car, and I used to work in academia. They have their kids' college educations to save for, retirement, etc.

My point to Rus was that he shouldn't exaggerate the lifestyle of his counterparts in the West, as many in Russia tend to do. Most Westerners don't need luxury cars. They're happy with a good apartment or house, a nice vacation once/year, a good retirement, an ordinary car for themselves and one for their spouse (in N America, where public transit isn't as good as in Europe), a house or apartment full of appliances. It's not a lavish lifestyle, and people don't really aspire to that.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
51rus.

I always knew Russians had something on the side. My good friend in Belgorod was a fireman and now he's a chicken rancher. He and his wife always were in the chicken business along with the regular jobs they held. It seems to me Russians live much like Americans do. I didn't put my daughters through college working one job it took me working 2 jobs a lot of the time and my wife working at home plus managing the home which was 2 jobs for her.

As for Russia rebuilding its military make no mistake, the goal of the west is a splintered Russia supine and at heel like a beaten dog. There is no price too high for this goal to be met. The flames of war from the Baltic ocean to the Pacific with millions dead and the people under the rule of petty warlords of the worst kind so long as they're obedient to the requirements of "democracy".

US confirms it will place 250 tanks in eastern Europe to counter Russian threat - Telegraph

America is building up its power in Eastern Europe. Well within striking distance of all of European Russia and Belarus.
If you prefer Americans tanks on your streets instead of your own I suggest you study some history. Your freedom and liberty may just come at a terrible price.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:47 AM

Scrat335
Do you think. will be war between US and Russia? may be Chine too?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM

Ruth4Truth
I think the conditions for the people of such a degree in the states and Europe better.
Engineer is considered respectful.
A lot of smart scientists leave Russia. I think "not a good life"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe