Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Yes, they did get beat up but the goals they set out to achieve were met and the Viet Namese behaved themselves since. Their problem was the same as the Soviets in Finland and more recently the Ukrops in East Ukraine. They provided the defenders with a target rich environment due to lack of coordination, confusion, poor training and execution on a tactical level. They lost the battle but they won the war you might say.
Additionally, Finland won Russia's respect, which goes on still today. Finland showed that we aren't just some weakling nation from who you just come and take, unlike the Baltic States. Estonian President Ilves recently visited Finland and said that the Baltics are in a very different negotiating position than Finland. The Russians frequently say to them "you can't demand this. You're not Finland, you haven't deserved the right".

Which is quite ironic in fact. How do you get the respect of Russia? - By killing as many of them as you can. Vietnam probably got the same respect from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:38 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Thanks Ruth for your input)))

Pigeonhole, you sound like a person who'd like to plan your own trip on your own terms.
The problem that I see with it, is the knowledge of Russian, which is of the paramount importance, particularly on long trips deep into the country. It's downright a matter of survival.
Other than that, I'd say start with this site - it gives very detailed information from what I see, so let's go from there. The more you read and the more you get the overview, you might have more specific questions. If you do, bring them on.

How to plan & book a journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway
People do take the train and make stops without knowing Russian. You don't really need to know Russian to ride the train. English-speakers will find you. But I wholeheartedy agree that knowing the language will make a HUGE different in the quality of your experience. It's a matter of experiencing a place as a complete outsider, or as someone with at least a foot in the door, or a partial insider, depending on how good your Russian is and your adaptation skills.
My niece took the train across and through Mongolia to China, after spending a few days each in St. Pete's and Moscow. I emailed her some key words in Cyrillic and English, so she could read the signs and find the restaurants, etc., and also a few phrases, and she said that was very helpful. She also signed up in advance to volunteer on a work crew building and maintaining trails around Lake Baikal, and learned a little Russian. I've also sent people over there for cultural exchange who knew no Russian, but they picked it up pretty fast, being resourceful with languages. And if older people can grab a kid for help, some amount of interpreting can happen. Some young people's English will be good enough at least to give them the confidence to say "hello" and have some conversation.

And with luck, OP, you'll get friendly cabin-mates on the train, who will share their snacks with you even without being able to communicate with you. The best aspect of Russia, IMO, is the friendliness of the people, once you've broken the ice. And it doesn't take much.

Let us know when this trip happens, and give us a report afterwards.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Additionally, Finland won Russia's respect, which goes on still today. Finland showed that we aren't just some weakling nation from who you just come and take, unlike the Baltic States. Estonian President Ilves recently visited Finland and said that the Baltics are in a very different negotiating position than Finland. The Russians frequently say to them "you can't demand this. You're not Finland, you haven't deserved the right".

Which is quite ironic in fact. How do you get the respect of Russia? - By killing as many of them as you can. Vietnam probably got the same respect from China.
Russians generally are much more respectful towards others than the rest of the world seems to be from my experience. Unless you do something stupid and **** them off. Don't go stroking yerse'f in a debate with me about this either. I know exactly what happened up there. You people really should be more selective about the boots you lick, the Nazis did not have your best interests in mind now did they? After the Russians organized themselves and brought in some troops not fresh from the summer fields of the Ukraine (new troops who were veteran arctic soldiers) you got your arses handed to you in short order. In 1944 you just rolled over, smartest thing your leaders ever did.

You need to keep this in mind, those NATO boots being thrust in your face need to be bitten, not licked. Get it?

Old 07-09-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russians generally are much more respectful towards others than the rest of the world seems to be from my experience. Unless you do something stupid and **** them off. Don't go stroking yerse'f in a debate with me about this either. I know exactly what happened up there. You people really should be more selective about the boots you lick, the Nazis did not have your best interests in mind now did they? After the Russians organized themselves and brought in some troops not fresh from the summer fields of the Ukraine (new troops who were veteran arctic soldiers) you got your arses handed to you in short order. In 1944 you just rolled over, smartest thing your leaders ever did.

You need to keep this in mind, those NATO boots being thrust in your face need to be bitten, not licked. Get it?
You stroke a deal with the nazis too. And like you, we got rid of them when they had served their purpose.

And I don't know when Finland hasn't been respectful towards Russia. Our president is the ONLY EU leader who maintains regular contact with Putin. I heard he's missing again. I don't know where he is. Maybe we kidnapped him?

Old 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And I don't know when Finland hasn't been respectful towards Russia.
I think what Finland is good country))

Old 07-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You stroke a deal with the nazis too. And like you, we got rid of them when they had served their purpose.
The Soviets struck a deal to buy time that is true but there was little alternative. When the Soviets offered Finland land rich in resources north of lake Ladoga in exchange for the isthmus north of Leningrad between the Gulf Of Finland and the lake you refused. Why? The Nazis threatened to cut you off if you did. In fact you got rid of the Nazis when you saw the steam roller headed your way and knew what was in store for you if you did not. You threw them out of your bed when the husband was kicking down the bedroom door.

The Soviet military did not want Leningrad in artillery range of a possible aggressor, especially one in close association with a group whos idiotology called them "untermensch". I really wouldn't want neighbors like that close to me either. I use the phrase "possible aggressor" loosely. Any opportunity to grab land would certainly have been taken advantage of.

Finlands refusal to come to an equitable agreement led to war. The Soviets had no choice.

Quote:
I heard he's missing again. I don't know where he is. Maybe we kidnapped him?
Doesn't he go on vacation about now anyway? Could be he's out inspecting the troops too. The Ukrops may be getting some heat from their masters in DC.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I think what Finland is good country))
You must work at the US state department. All the Baltic states are "good" - good and obedient to NATO. Sadly they will always belong to somebody.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM

125 posts, read 173,895 times
Do Russians see themselves as European people or different from Europeans?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
This might be a weird question but why are many russians and this goes for many people of the east in general, really fascinated with luxury? Luxury items. They just love it and revel in it. Is it a mark of high class in Russian society? Here in the states a billionaire dresses like Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg, but even middle class Russians I've seen here in LA have to have Mercedes, Gucci shoes and other luxury items. This isn't something I've only noticed about Russians but Ive also seen among middle easterners, Armenians and the newly rich Chinese. They wear the polo shirts with the big horse on them, Gucci loafers, etc.

Is it because these are new items to Russian society?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Russian hooligans tell about their trip to France:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRopBwFFe0c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe