Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 10:10 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times

Advertisements

Best city in Siberia from a tourist-oriented perspective: Omsk, Novosibirsk, or Krasnoyarsk?

The factors to consider would be, let's say, Soviet Union-related museums, scenic day trips, and decent low-cost food and coffee places.

Let's leave Irkutsk out of this. I know it's close to Lake Baikal but I'm not really interested in seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Best city in Siberia from a tourist-oriented perspective: Omsk, Novosibirsk, or Krasnoyarsk?

The factors to consider would be, let's say, Soviet Union-related museums, scenic day trips, and decent low-cost food and coffee places.

Let's leave Irkutsk out of this. I know it's close to Lake Baikal but I'm not really interested in seeing it.
Why the cities you chose? Nobosibirsk is huge, I'd feel overwhelmed by it. A LOT of Americans' fave is Ulan Ude, on the east side of Lake Baikal, in the Buryat Republic. It's a different culture, so there are several fascinating museums, and an outdoor folk museum. The city got quite a boost back in the 'aught years, when there was a boom of German tourism and business. The city color scheme is Buddhist colors: maroon and saffron, so many of the buildings are that color combination. Many visitors find that very pleasant and harmonious.

Not sure what you mean by "Soviet Union-related museums".

Old 07-05-2016, 04:51 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Out of all three I've been only in Novosibirsk. If you have a penchant for "things Soviet," - the city still comes across like one. It has plenty of museums, ( some of them going back to Soviet times I'm sure,) including downright the "museum of the USSR."

So this is Novosibirsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbORFXuJiX4

Krasnoyarsk doesn't look too shabby in this respect as well; from what I see plenty of museums too, some of them ( like "museum of honey" looks promising - ha-ha))) But there are plenty of "regional museums of local lore" in both places, art and history/culture museums too.

So this is Krasnoyarsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4aCsGr2FzQ

Out of all three, I'd advise you against Omsk.
For whatever reason, I saw a lot of negative comments earlier already on Russian sites about this city, when it comes to infrastructure and roads.

But have a look - this is Omsk, and I didn't check on "low cost foods and coffee places" in either of those cities yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AMeOmTFUOI

Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 AM

P.S. Ah, that's not a big deal.
Yesterday I was laughing my head off on FB, because some folks were discussing this particular "weather woman" in Chelyabinsk. I am not going to get into all the comments, but here she is;

This is her latest hit, apparently;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXnwGm9FMdk

and this is the compilation of her "best moments" for the weather forecast -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp-JdPN7lIg

As one guy from Chelyabinsk noted - "yeah, you are all laughing here, but that's what we live with every day."

Rotflmao, aaaaaaaa)))))))

Old 07-06-2016, 05:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
I'd like to make a Transib travel in the future, can you give me some tips ? (how to buy tickets, how to have a visa, is it possible to stop in a city to visit and wait for the next train, etc.?) My idea would be to center my journey on Siberia, start at the Urals all the way to Wladiwostok.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'd like to make a Transib travel in the future, can you give me some tips ? (how to buy tickets, how to have a visa, is it possible to stop in a city to visit and wait for the next train, etc.?) My idea would be to center my journey on Siberia, start at the Urals all the way to Wladiwostok.

I'll look into it, but I'd like to ask Ruth first - this might be more area of her expertise, particularly when it comes to visas.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why the cities you chose? Nobosibirsk is huge, I'd feel overwhelmed by it. A LOT of Americans' fave is Ulan Ude, on the east side of Lake Baikal, in the Buryat Republic. It's a different culture, so there are several fascinating museums, and an outdoor folk museum. The city got quite a boost back in the 'aught years, when there was a boom of German tourism and business. The city color scheme is Buddhist colors: maroon and saffron, so many of the buildings are that color combination. Many visitors find that very pleasant and harmonious.

Not sure what you mean by "Soviet Union-related museums".
Ruth, by the sound of it, some people are not interested in *ethnic Russia* - they want to see "Russian Russia" with Soviet flavor on top of it.
But what say you regarding the TransSiberian express, particularly when it comes to foreign tourists?

Old 07-07-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Find a travel agent who specializes in independent travel to Russia. Yes, you can have stops. It's much easier than before 2001, when you had to get approval, and most stops seemed to have military installations, so basically, only Irkutsk was approved, east of the general Ural area. You have to pay for everything in advance (hotel stays, train tickets) as a package. It's a great trip!

Old 07-07-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ruth, by the sound of it, some people are not interested in *ethnic Russia* - they want to see "Russian Russia" with Soviet flavor on top of it.
But what say you regarding the TransSiberian express, particularly when it comes to foreign tourists?
Well, it wasn't quite clear what the OP was interested in, so I thought I'd mention Ulan Ude. Whatever.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Thanks Ruth for your input)))

Pigeonhole, you sound like a person who'd like to plan your own trip on your own terms.
The problem that I see with it, is the knowledge of Russian, which is of the paramount importance, particularly on long trips deep into the country. It's downright a matter of survival.
Other than that, I'd say start with this site - it gives very detailed information from what I see, so let's go from there. The more you read and the more you get the overview, you might have more specific questions. If you do, bring them on.

How to plan & book a journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe