Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 06:07 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

I never really took Russian camoflage schemes seriously when it comes to aircraft, I've never really seen it in action either. This is pretty amazing. The Sukhoi all but disappears because of its camo scheme. You know its there but as the distance increases you lose sight of it. Something as simple as a paint job when done right can be really effective. In a dogfight that's a huge advantage.

And I don't give a damn about the propaganda aspect of it. The Eagle pilot was observing a Russian aircraft and the Sukhoi pilot figured he was too close or was told to intervene and asked the Eagle to not fly so close. The Eagle pilot backed down when asked to. Both pilots acted very professional and no one got hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPHf67SMko0&app=desktop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 06:16 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
China has the C919, so no, they won't be ordering Russian planes instead. Sorry!

OK I googled EU sanction fatigue. I got only opinions. Sanctions have been renewed and more are threatened over the Ukrainian sailor hostages. Trade increased in dollar value because of higher energy prices, not volumes.

I already know the winner of the heavy launch its SpaceX with the Falcon Heavy.

Yes 2013 Russia had a baby boom. Do you know that its been in decline in the 5 years since? Or do you cling to the past like Putin. This is not a reversal if its in decline.

No, PPP is only useful when comparing GDP per person, not in the total national value. That is actually the point of PPP. National GDP is measured nominally because most global trade for goods and services are priced in dollars. Nice try though. You're right about Russia being one of the biggest threats to the US. That's because the countries that are more important than Russia (except China) are American allies.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
DKM, play it couple of times, it will make you feel better....eheheheh LOL

"Wide is my motherland"

Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
China has the C919, so no, they won't be ordering Russian planes instead. Sorry!
We will see.

Quote:
OK I googled EU sanction fatigue. I got only opinions. Sanctions have been renewed and more are threatened over the Ukrainian sailor hostages. Trade increased in dollar value because of higher energy prices, not volumes.
Nope, increased in volume too...

Quote:
I already know the winner of the heavy launch its SpaceX with the Falcon Heavy.
You do not know the meaning of Ultra heavy lift launch vector.....we are aiming at well over 100t, Falcon Heavy doesn't cut it...we are talking Saturn V and over level of LEO payload.

Quote:
Yes 2013 Russia had a baby boom. Do you know that its been in decline in the 5 years since? Or do you cling to the past like Putin. This is not a reversal if its in decline.
Did you read the 2017 TFR data or conveniently ignored??

Quote:
No, PPP is only useful when comparing GDP per person, not in the total national value. That is actually the point of PPP. National GDP is measured nominally because most global trade for goods and services are priced in dollars. Nice try though. You're right about Russia being one of the biggest threats to the US. That's because the countries that are more important than Russia (except China) are American allies.
Again, you really do not understand PPP...let me try down to a level you can get it......if you sell a 4 bedroom house in San Francisco for 3 million and the same house in Florida for 600K you still sold a house.

Same thing in international trade...it does not matter how much that fighter jet or that tank cost in dollar....an item has been sold.

Nominal GDP is pointless (not even mention the statistical massaging on how GDP is calculated)

Is that simple!!

Old 01-31-2019, 06:35 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

And I don't give a damn about the propaganda aspect of it. The Eagle pilot was observing a Russian aircraft and the Sukhoi pilot figured he was too close or was told to intervene and asked the Eagle to not fly so close. The Eagle pilot backed down when asked to. Both pilots acted very professional and no one got hurt.

If the video is real, the Russian pilot wasn't acting professionally at all. He could have caused an accident. But I doubt this happened because we would have heard about it like we do when other incidents occur of reckless Russian aviation.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
China is really the only country that could unseat the US in the near future. Russia is too far behind for that. It's easy to tell that China is on the rise by looking at the number of people taking Mandarin courses or the number of products coming from there. The Yuan is also widely traded around the globe.

The biggest hurdle the US currently faces is that there are too many anti-intellectual people roaming around. When 40% of adults believe in Creationism over science, something needs to change.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:41 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Did you read the 2017 TFR data or conveniently ignored??

Again, you really do not understand PPP...let me try down to a level you can get it......if you sell a 4 bedroom house in San Francisco for 3 million and the same house in Florida for 600K you still sold a house.

Same thing in international trade...it does not matter how much that fighter jet or that tank cost in dollar....an item has been sold.

Nominal GDP is pointless (not even mention the statistical massaging on how GDP is calculated)

Is that simple!!
I don't see the point of trying to tell me Russia's birth rate/demographic decline isn't reversing. Its gone down every year in the past 4 or 5. This is according to ROSTAT. If you have a problem with the data, take it up with Russia.

Yes the value of items DOES actually matter when comparing national economies to each other in total economic output. PPP is for comparing per capita GDP as it more accurately reflects the standard of living. Russia is broke as a joke and living standards are falling so the PPP doesn't tell the whole story there either as it doesn't account for the high inequality and the large amount of capital flight. For that average wages or pensions are closer to the performance. Russia is about half of Poland in that regard, sorry!

Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't see the point of trying to tell me Russia's birth rate/demographic decline isn't reversing. Its gone down every year in the past 4 or 5. This is according to ROSTAT. If you have a problem with the data, take it up with Russia.
Sure, I take it with Russia.....from the Federal Statistics Service

http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2018/...st_ob1-eng.pdf

As of 1 January 2018, the population of Russia is 144,530,031 excluding Crimea and Sevastopol, whose annexation is not recognized by most UN members. Including Crimea and Sevastopol, the population is 146,793,744 as of January 1, 2019.[4] Compared to the previous year, the population increased in Russia by 76,060, the result of a net migration gain of 211,878, and a natural population loss of 135,818

Quote:
Yes the value of items DOES actually matter when comparing national economies to each other in total economic output. PPP is for comparing per capita GDP as it more accurately reflects the standard of living. Russia is broke as a joke and living standards are falling so the PPP doesn't tell the whole story there either as it doesn't account for the high inequality and the large amount of capital flight. For that average wages or pensions are closer to the performance. Russia is about half of Poland in that regard, sorry!

Here we go, as usual, when you cannot talk about data you start on your rant....economies are made of doing stuff not nominal dollars.

Maybe third time it's a charm, who knows, let's give it a try.....for example, nominally the GDP of Spain is just a bit lower than that of Russia....would you actually compare the economic capabilities of Spain with Russia?? Let's make another example....Russia military expenditure (2017 data) is actually lower than Saudi Arabia....how many minutes do you think Saudi Arabia would resist a frontal Russian attack?? No need to further comment....I hope not, otherwise there is no point in discussing....

Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
China is really the only country that could unseat the US in the near future. Russia is too far behind for that. It's easy to tell that China is on the rise by looking at the number of people taking Mandarin courses or the number of products coming from there. The Yuan is also widely traded around the globe.

The biggest hurdle the US currently faces is that there are too many anti-intellectual people roaming around. When 40% of adults believe in Creationism over science, something needs to change.

Russia does not want to "unseat" anybody but it has assured its place in the world and it it safe from potential US adventurism and continuous meddling in its sphere of influence, something it could not do anything about up to a decade ago or so (Georgia was a pivotal point)......that's all.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-31-2019 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sure, I take it with Russia.....from the Federal Statistics Service

http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2018/...st_ob1-eng.pdf

As of 1 January 2018, the population of Russia is 144,530,031 excluding Crimea and Sevastopol, whose annexation is not recognized by most UN members. Including Crimea and Sevastopol, the population is 146,793,744 as of January 1, 2019.[4] Compared to the previous year, the population increased in Russia by 76,060, the result of a net migration gain of 211,878, and a natural population loss of 135,818
Let me be clear, one more time. Natural population gains peaked in 2018 and went negative in 2017. Immigration did plug the gap until 2018. Did you read that clearly. I understand the net population still went up in 2017, but in 2018 its down even after migration. This is not an increase. You have to read Russian to know that, because ROSTAT publishes its latest reports in Russian.

http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2018/...er-12-2018.pdf

Page 199. The graph shows slowing natural increase since 2014 until finally dropping negative in 2017 and totally negative in 2018 even with migration. If you can't read Russian, then I'm sorry its not my problem.

Yes, I would confirm that Spain is the same size economy as Russia. Finally you get it. GDP nominally measures the value of goods and services produced by a country in that year. PPP adjusts for costs of living which only helps comparisons in PER CAPITA not in total output. I don't expect you to understand, I know well what soviet education did to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe