Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2022, 05:38 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
To be fair western powers did fight many wars and conflicts to resist decolonization movements, but yes as you state once they lost they respected the treaties that were signed and haven't gone back on their word.

UK: Irish War of Independence (1919-1921)
UK: Jewish insurgency in Mandatory Palestine (1944-1948)
France: First Indochina War (1946-1954)
France: Algerian War (1954-1962)
UK: Cyprus Emergency (1955-1959)

Also the UK has fought multiple times to hold onto Northern Ireland which they still do to this day.
UK: Northern campaign (Irish Republican Army (1942-1944)
UK: Border campaign (Irish Republican Army) (1956-1962)
UK: The Troubles (1968-1998)
The people in Northern Ireland want to remain part of the UK, that makes them more like the Ukranians than the Russians - its funny how 'the world' sees it the other way around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 04:30 PM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
To bring the thrust of this thread back onto cultural themes , I'd like to pose the following question :

Which is are there any other fans of Aleksandr Pthusko's films here besides me ?

I'm asking because I just rewatched his two epic East Slavic/Russian mythology based films " Ilya Muromets " and " Ruslan and Ludmila " the other day , which is why I'm curious if anyone else here appreciates this aspect of Russian culture , or should I say ( more specifically ) cinema .

FWIW here's the trailer for " Ilya Muromets " which apparently has been restored and re released for the American market :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1A8...=DeafCrocodile

Old 10-13-2022, 06:42 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
To bring the thrust of this thread back onto cultural themes , I'd like to pose the following question :

Which is are there any other fans of Aleksandr Pthusko's films here besides me ?

I'm asking because I just rewatched his two epic East Slavic/Russian mythology based films " Ilya Muromets " and " Ruslan and Ludmila " the other day , which is why I'm curious if anyone else here appreciates this aspect of Russian culture , or should I say ( more specifically ) cinema .

FWIW here's the trailer for " Ilya Muromets " which apparently has been restored and re released for the American market :
These sound great! Where can I get these? Are they on DVD? I've never heard of these, nor of the filmmaker.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These sound great! Where can I get these? Are they on DVD? I've never heard of these, nor of the filmmaker.

In the case of Ilya Muromets , the Deaf Crocodile Films company seems to have released an English subtitled version that's available on Blu-Ray :

https://www.deafcrocodile.com/ilya-m...rd-the-dragon/

As for Ruslan and Ludmila , I'm unfortunately at a loss with respect to knowledge of whether or not an English subtitled/available on the North American market version exists , but I'll certainly post an update if I happen to find out otherwise .

FWIW both films can be viewed for free on Youtube , though I believe they are of the non restored/non subtitled original Russian versions .

Old 10-18-2022, 02:01 PM

474 posts, read 263,332 times
Russia's already dark demographic crisis has only gotten worse since the invasion, and without drastic action is unlikely to improve much. They might need to open the immigration floodgates from India etc.

Quote:
During the first five months of 2022, Russia’s population fell by 430,000, which far exceeded the figure for the same period in 2021 and one that points to another decline of more than one million people for 2022 as a whole. The 2021 figure reflects both the relationship of births and deaths among the permanent population and the size of migration flows. Last year, in-migration partially compensated for the greater number of deaths as compared to births, but this year, it has not. Instead, increased out-migration has contributed to the total population decline. The opening of the country to in-migration after the pandemic may lead to a slight improvement in the second half of 2022, but that will not be enough to compensate for the indigenous decline continuing into 2023 and throughout the coming decade (Osnmedia.ru, July 26).
https://jamestown.org/program/russia...s%20a%20whole.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Default Why do Chechens support Russia?

Chechen fighters are fighting for Russia.

Why would they support Russia, after the Chechen-Russian wars in the 1990s? Were Chechens who wanted independence just not liked by some Chechens?

Old 11-13-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post

Why would they support Russia, after the Chechen-Russian wars in the 1990s? Were Chechens who wanted independence just not liked by some Chechens?

While there are no doubt plenty of Chechens who favor independence to this very day , the short answer to your question is that many began to favor rapprochement with the Russian Federation following the outbreak of the Second Chechen War , as most prominently evidenced by the case of Akhmad Kadyrov .

I don't know nearly enough about this subject to write about it at length , which is why I'll be closing out this post shortly , but unless I'm mistaken one of the most prominent factors was that of many Chechens ( including Akhmad himself ) getting tired of the influence of Wahhabism that had greatly increased since the start of the conflict with the Russian Federation .

Old 11-13-2022, 09:52 AM

827 posts, read 630,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post

Main reasons:

* Kadyrov have really lock the power and eliminate most of the potential opponent.

* The region receive tons of money from russian government. It helps to buy support to Kadyrov

Also/maybe some few stuff play also a role

* Chechens are highly involve in criminality, an idependance conflict might attract attention on chechen mafias and probably put an end to many activity.
* the independance fight is for the moments mainly make by islamists. The non religios chechen population might fear them.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:01 PM

250 posts, read 181,836 times
Has anyone here watched "The Americans?" What did you think of it?

Old 01-24-2023, 12:18 AM

827 posts, read 630,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Has anyone here watched "The Americans?" What did you think of it?

The show?
A very good one, worth to try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe