Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
In the name of freedom and democracy, any totalitarian law can be adopted. What do you know about totalitarianism?

Since you are quoting some new British law ( supposedly) it would have been nice to see the link to the original article in English, because god knows what/how Russian propaganda machine twisted things around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Since you are quoting some new British law ( supposedly) it would have been nice to see the link to the original article in English, because god knows what/how Russian propaganda machine twisted things around.
Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act 2019

Here is a link to the law. PS of Course propaganda is what you mean) Although, what is that in comparison with the "Western propaganda machine" )))

Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The government spokesman specifically stated that no one in the executive branch of the government knew of it, only learning about it from news releases just yesterday. It's still developing but it was stated clearly that certain people know that the man and the company are VERY important to Russias reputation in the business world. If he's an honest businessman who has run the company well he should not be in jail.

I agree with you. I smell a rat. In Russias highly centralized and insular system such things are easy to do and tools are easily used to the wrong purpose by the wrong people. Artem and his cohorts had better have a case or I suspect he may himself be in trouble.

Do you have a link to the article?
Bershidsky has since written about it. I don't always agree with him but he's more often right than not. At least he is a good writer.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/view/...ge-from-russia

Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act 2019

Here is a link to the law. PS of Course propaganda is what you mean) Although, what is that in comparison with the "Western propaganda machine" )))

What's about it? What's about this "Western propaganda machine?"
Western propaganda machine is more subtle and predictable.
Russian propaganda machine ( of domestic kind) comes straight from the "Prisoner of Azkaban" or "Tales of Mordor" - whichever you like.

This is the UK,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO08jBYokIM

and just in case you didn't notice any of the terrorist attacks there, it's actually pretty understandable why they come up with all these anti-terrorist laws.
The Azkaban will point at those laws in Great Britain and will implement them against Putin's opposition of any kind, christening them "the terrorists."

Don't I know how it works, so don't sucker me into your mordorian flickering twilight zone)))

Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What's about it? What's about this "Western propaganda machine?"
Western propaganda machine is more subtle and predictable.
Russian propaganda machine ( of domestic kind) comes straight from the "Prisoner of Azkaban" or "Tales of Mordor" - whichever you like.

This is the UK,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO08jBYokIM

and just in case you didn't notice any of the terrorist attacks there, it's actually pretty understandable why they come up with all these anti-terrorist laws.
The Azkaban will point at those laws in Great Britain and will implement them against Putin's opposition of any kind, christening them "the terrorists."

Don't I know how it works, so don't sucker me into your mordorian flickering twilight zone)))

Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 PM

For those who are interested in all this missile stuff - Putin's speech today (with English subs.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeCzo2zMV0

Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM
DKM

I'm disappointed after last year's speech that he did not reveal more imaginary weapons to show how powerful he is. But at least he got to threaten Europe over an imaginary US missile program. That will sure keep neighbors from joining NATO lol. All I see is a short man angry that his country is stagnating and falling further behind the west. And insecure enough that he has to treat dissenting Russians as a national security threat.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I'm disappointed after last year's speech that he did not reveal more imaginary weapons to show how powerful he is. But at least he got to threaten Europe over an imaginary US missile program. That will sure keep neighbors from joining NATO lol. All I see is a short man angry that his country is stagnating and falling further behind the west. And insecure enough that he has to treat dissenting Russians as a national security threat.
Putin's greatest weapon is that he holds the key over natural gas supplies to Europe, and that's precisely why many of those nations have been more reluctant to follow through with sanctions on Russia. Unlike the US, Europe is far more dependent on Russian gas.

His pathological fixation on NATO, on the other hand, has been detrimental to the nation. Ironically, the biggest existential threat that Russia is likely to face in the future will be in the Far East, where China is already making it's mark.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Key finding: The unavoidable requirement is for the United States, Russia, and China to agree on a nonproliferation policy for hypersonic missiles.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2137.html

Unavoidable arms race where countries race to develop a hair-trigger strike capability.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...5a74dbef011944

At the moment, only the US has a first-strike policy. Dramatically reducing the time from the first strike to the retaliatory strike will diminish the usefulness of continuing to ring missile bases around Russia or China to knock out the surviving missile launchers.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:24 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Putin's greatest weapon is that he holds the key over natural gas supplies to Europe, and that's precisely why many of those nations have been more reluctant to follow through with sanctions on Russia. Unlike the US, Europe is far more dependent on Russian gas.
Most of Europe isn't dependent on Russian gas and the parts that are tend to lean towards wanting more sanctions. Gazprom has a large share of the EU market because they discount its gas so much to keep LNG from competing there. Europe can get oil and gas from anywhere but Russia's is the cheapest so they get most imports (of both) from Russia. Its so cheap that its taking over other sources of electric production. Most of their oil products come from Russia too and for the same reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe