Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,475,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Definitely true. An identity based on whiteness inevitably tends towards Nordicism. Accordingly, it seems NW Europeans have more of a pan-European identity than other Europeans do. In the USA, this is often the default identity for whites (maybe more so historically).
Nonsense! Nonsense! According to who? It is just most White Americans are fully or partially North-West or Central European by ancestry, due to immigration history. It has absolutely nothing to do with "Nordicism"! Wasn't the Americans who lost their lives trying save Europe from being devoured by Nazism in the WWII? Racism wasn't born in America, but in Europe. Racial supremacy wasn't born in America, but in Europe! So stop your lies, if you don't know anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 09:52 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,927,573 times
Quote:
Definitely true. An identity based on whiteness inevitably tends towards Nordicism. Accordingly, it seems NW Europeans have more of a pan-European identity than other Europeans do. In the USA, this is often the default identity for whites (maybe more so historically).
This is still particularly true in parts southern USA where large numbers of Scotch-Irish settled who are descended from the Ulster Scots. But I agree with your opinion. It is absolutely true that historically in the USA the default for 'whiteness' was the Brits especially the English. I can tell you without a doubt even in California there are people that consider southern Europeans racial minorities a lot of people still have a narrow view of what 'white' is in the USA despite what the US census categories indicate.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Nonsense! Nonsense! According to who? It is just most White Americans are fully or partially North-West or Central European by ancestry, due to immigration history. It has absolutely nothing to do with "Nordicism"! Wasn't the Americans who lost their lives trying save Europe from being devoured by Nazism in the WWII? Racism wasn't born in America, but in Europe. Racial supremacy wasn't born in America, but in Europe! So stop your lies, if you don't know anything.
Nw Europe is sort of the epitome of whiteness and the standard used to compare other regions of Europe to in order to evaluate whiteness, in terms of phenotype, culture, and shared experience. In all 3 aspects, my own people differ. That collective narrative in particular (e.g., colonialism, slavery) is problematic because it's emphatically not my people's history.

My issue with this is it's basically a form of self-hate for those who aren't NW European and wish to base their identity on whiteness. There is no unity of whites in Europe, and nor should there be. Rather, every ethnicity should have its own identity and separate culture. They less we try to become enmeshed in this artificial concept of whiteness, the better off we'll be in preserving what actually makes us unique.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM
AFP

Quote:
Nw Europe is sort of the epitome of whiteness and the standard used to compare other regions of Europe to in order to evaluate whiteness, in terms of phenotype, culture, and shared experience. In all 3 aspects, my own people differ. That collective narrative in particular (e.g., colonialism, slavery) is problematic because it's emphatically not my people's history.

My issue with this is it's basically a form of self-hate for those who aren't NW European and wish to base their identity on whiteness. There is no unity of whites in Europe, and nor should there be. Rather, every ethnicity should have its own identity and separate culture. They less we try to become enmeshed in this artificial concept of whiteness, the better off we'll be in preserving what actually makes us unique.

That's exactly what it is, no thanks it isn't for me either even though I identify as white on the census I have no attachment to that stupid artificial concept.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM

26,839 posts, read 22,662,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Nonsense! Nonsense! According to who? It is just most White Americans are fully or partially North-West or Central European by ancestry, due to immigration history. It has absolutely nothing to do with "Nordicism"!
Yes it does. A lot, lol)))

Quote:
Wasn't the Americans who lost their lives trying save Europe from being devoured by Nazism in the WWII?
A big part of this effort was put forward because Russians were advancing in Europe and advancing fast. If Americans were all that concerned with "liberation from Nazism," they would have opened the *second front* in Europe much, much earlier.

Quote:
Racism wasn't born in America, but in Europe. Racial supremacy wasn't born in America, but in Europe! So stop your lies, if you don't know anything.
True that, it's just in America racism reached the new heights, taking a very distinct shape and form.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's exactly what it is, no thanks it isn't for me either even though I identify as white on the census I have no attachment to that stupid artificial concept.
There is no "white" culture, really, per se. But there are various white peoples who have their own unique ways.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
There is no "white" culture, really, per se. But there are various white peoples who have their own unique ways.
That would be true for Europe.
In the US however THERE IS such thing as "White culture" ( VS "Black culture" (or "Hispanic culture" for this matter))

Old 08-26-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
In the US however THERE IS such thing as "White culture" ( VS "Black culture" (or "Hispanic culture" for this matter))
More like Anglo culture. Ethnic white cultures (Southern and Eastern European ones, mostly, in an American context) can't really be lumped into the same category.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:01 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

This white culture is not easy to define it varies even within California where I live it shows up in various forms in my state beach culture, redneck culture, etc. and most people spouting off about white culture in California come across really ignorant.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
More like Anglo culture. Ethnic white cultures (Southern and Eastern European ones, mostly, in an American context) can't really be lumped into the same category.
No they probably can't, (initially that is) but two-three generations down the line these people become the "mainstream White Americans." (That is if they are "white" of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe