Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 05:29 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,664,329 times

Advertisements

As someone from Europe that has actually lived in a small village with a population of 300. No way in the world would I go back to the rural farming lifestyle. Give me Plano, Texas any day. I can fly to Europe in one day or see all the National Parks here in the U.S. and Canada. It is the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 05:29 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
In the US affluence and bigger, more expensive properties equals access to the newest, often better public schools. Parents who earn more $$ can afford what they believe to be a better educational experience for their children. Not all wealthy or upper middle class parents send their children to private school.
Is it any different in Europe?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,797 times
Don't know-- I just wanted to comment how some people decide to move to new suburbs in the US. for their children, not necessarily because they're making a purely materialistic decision.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
Don't know-- I just wanted to comment how some people decide to move to new suburbs in the US. for their children, not necessarily because they're making a purely materialistic decision.
You made a comment but cannot base it on anything? Some people decide to paint their living rooms purple.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You made a comment but cannot base it on anything? Some people decide to paint their living rooms purple.
You sure are fun to talk to

Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
A guy from FL said: "Many roads i've traveled but they all kinda look the same".

(In the US)
He was probably driving down the interstate - and the autobahns and big highways in Europe have pretty much exactly the same look.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM

564 posts, read 747,445 times
I'm also in FL so other states might be different but when I first got to the US I had a really hard time driving because everything looks the same. I honestly couldn't tell where I was or how people found their way. Eventually I got the hang of it and of the grid system and now I can drive around with no problems at all, but yes, at least in FL roads all look the same wherever you go. Not a jab at the US, just an observation. It makes for an efficient system albeit boring.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
I'm also in FL so other states might be different but when I first got to the US I had a really hard time driving because everything looks the same. I honestly couldn't tell where I was or how people found their way. Eventually I got the hang of it and of the grid system and now I can drive around with no problems at all, but yes, at least in FL roads all look the same wherever you go. Not a jab at the US, just an observation. It makes for an efficient system albeit boring.
This is why some people enjoy taking the back roads on weekend drives or vacations. They're so much more scenic! Efficiency isn't everything.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Florida is well-known as being one large parking lot. They pave over absolutely everything there.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He was probably driving down the interstate - and the autobahns and big highways in Europe have pretty much exactly the same look.
It's also possible to see a little bit of landscape through the windshield. I don't think the guy meant only how the interstates look.

Just my 2 European cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe