Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 AM

319 posts, read 395,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Correct!
And is England in northern Europe too? I have to say southern England especially does not fit. In terms of climate it doesn't really get cold, also the way the cities look don't remind me of northern Europe at all.

People always try to put labels and categorize things... and it doesn't always work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Southern England isn't like the rest of the UK. It has different plants, climate and landscape.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
And is England in northern Europe too? I have to say southern England especially does not fit. In terms of climate it doesn't really get cold, also the way the cities look don't remind me of northern Europe at all.

People always try to put labels and categorize things... and it doesn't always work.
The climate and look of the cities in southern England is very similar to the places of northern Europe that lie at the same latitude on the other side of the north sea... Dutch cities look very similar to English ones, red brick architecture, terraced housed, sach windows... Typical north sea culture.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:17 AM

Yes but Southern England is not like the rest of the British Isles. Its very flat were as its hilly and mountainous up here.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The climate and look of the cities in southern England is very similar to the places of northern Europe that lie at the same latitude on the other side of the north sea... Dutch cities look very similar to English ones, red brick architecture, terraced housed, sach windows... Typical north sea culture.
Yes, but Dutch and English cities and architecture don't look similar to Finnish, Swedish or Norwegian cities or architecture. That's the problem.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:47 AM

I didn't realise that Norway,Sweden or Finland were an absolute determinant to being in Northern Europe.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Yes but Southern England is not like the rest of the British Isles. Its very flat were as its hilly and mountainous up here.
Eh? There are plenty of hills in southern England. I don't get why you think it's flat, just because there are no mountains...

Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:

Northern Europe begins at around under 50 degrees North to the extreme of 81 degrees North. So this includes southern parts of England as well. Southern England is obviously not Scandinavia but is still part of the Northern European region as is the rest of the British Isles. Yes, the architecture might differ, but that is not the point here. The climate is also obviously nowhere as cold as Scandinavian countries, more oceanic, but rains more. For example as a whole Portugal and Greece are very different countries, but they are still within the Southern European region. This year, in the region where I live in the U.S., we have had a colder winter than Stockholm, Sweden, does that mean we live in Northern Europe? No! The climate within Northern Europe is not exactly the same either everywhere, there are variations. Scandinavian lands have relatively cold winters, while British Isles have mild winters, but are much more overcast throughout the year than Scandinavian lands.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walbury_Hill

Southern England is part of a different geological region to the rest of the British Isles. Scotland and Northern Ireland used to be part of a location called Laurentia and Southern England and the Republic where part of Avalon.

In Northern Ireland our undergrowth is Basalt so we have a different rock type and soil type where as down there it is mostly consisting of chalk.

Also to note 974 feet is small, in NI our highest hill is 2,800 feet, Scotland 4,400 feet so you know its not even a hill in my eyes. Also of note is that Southern England was NOT part of the geological historical Caleondian mountains.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_Orogeny

Its a completely different landscape.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:

Northern Europe is not only limited to the Nordic Countries, see. The Nordic region is within the Northern European area. Remember there are different cultures, languages within Northern Europe too. The Saami people traditional architecture differs from the regular Scandinavian ones, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe