Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 05:25 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times

Advertisements

Well I don't care what anybody says. I am personally in North Western Europe.

You don't like that? Tough.

Scandanavian culture is not the definition of "northern" and never ever, ever will be.
This is purely a geographical standpoint.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 07-11-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
the u.k isn't really comparable to scandinavia and northern europe in general, though. there's something lacking, and you know it. climatologically, spiritually, socially etc etc...
Yes we do. It doesn't get dark until 11pm in summer.

Central locations would never get that.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:04 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't classify the Netherlands or Belgium to be Northern Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Yes we do. It doesn't get dark until 11pm in summer.

Central locations would never get that.
Have you been in the Netherlands? It doesn't get dark until 11pm here too you know. Same goes for Belgium and Northern Germany. Can't really follow your logic. Most of the UK is at the same latitude as we are, yet UK is North and the Netherlands isn't?

We, and you, are Western Europe with some parts a slight touch of the North i guess because we border it and a part of the UK overlaps.
Everybody knows this, except here on CD I guess can't believe this is going on for so many pages LOL.
If you simply divide in North, East, South, West, it's so obvious. What's there to argue about?

Old 07-12-2015, 03:37 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
Europe is a continent, its fairly obvious where it ends.....the channel ports of France.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:49 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
You could take the Western part of the Loire River as the dividing line between North and South Europe.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:48 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,440,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Have you been in the Netherlands? It doesn't get dark until 11pm here too you know. Same goes for Belgium and Northern Germany. Can't really follow your logic. Most of the UK is at the same latitude as we are, yet UK is North and the Netherlands isn't?

We, and you, are Western Europe with some parts a slight touch of the North i guess because we border it and a part of the UK overlaps.
Everybody knows this, except here on CD I guess can't believe this is going on for so many pages LOL.
If you simply divide in North, East, South, West, it's so obvious. What's there to argue about?
The southern part of the U.K. is in the same latitude as the Netherlands, Belgium, and also northern Germany, however the most northerly parts of the U.K. are in the same latitude as southern Norway! See. Most of the U.K. is not in the same latitude as the Netherlands, though. In other words, Northern Europe only begins at about the same latitude as the southern parts of the U.K.
The Netherlands, Belgium, northern Germany have been at times referred to as Northern Europe, but Northwest Europe would more approriate.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Nordcap.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
the u.k isn't really comparable to scandinavia and northern europe in general, though. there's something lacking, and you know it. climatologically, spiritually, socially etc etc...
The U.K. and Ireland are islands in the Northwest corner of Europe, therefore are subject to the North Atlantic gloomy climate, which was beneficial for the increase of pale, freckled Europeans with reddish hair. No wonder the two countries have the highest frequencies of rufosity in the world, which is the opposite of Scandinavian counries who have the highest frequencies of blondism.

Last edited by saxonwold; 07-12-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 06:04 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
13 pages of blah blah blah...

Old 07-12-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post

I am seeing a lot of jealousy, only because the U.K. and Ireland has been classified as Northern Europe. It is what it is geographically. Everybody knows what? about it.

The blue-colored or blue-coloured parts of this map corresponds to what has been accepted as Northern Europe. Oh, yes there are parts of Western and Eastern Europe which borders with Northern Europe like the Netherlands, Belgium, northern France, Germany, Poland, and Belarus as well.

These are their flags of Northern European nations in alphabetical order below;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe