Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 AM

13,482 posts, read 9,022,590 times

Advertisements

Of course Northern Ireland would be in there lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,522 times
Well obviously, we're above 55N.

Anyone who would argue that our geographical position is not Northern Europe needs a reality check.

And Scandanavia culture is not a logical classification since its so far away. Scandanavia never had any control or influence on my country at any point in history. Of course out buildings are going to be different.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:12 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The Saami people traditional architecture differs from the regular Scandinavian ones, right?
Most likely, if anything called Sami architecture would exist? Didn't they pretty much only live in tents?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:00 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Yes I am close to Iceland and Faroe islands which are all Northern Europe so why not us..
*******s! You are way closer to the Belgian coast that southern Iceland one.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM

What are you talking about?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Dunno about that, but the Scots and Dutch are as Central European to us real Northerners than french user's French blokes living in Northern or Central France. Or Austrians, or Swiss. Certainly not northern.
You definitly have strange geographic conceptions...

Glasgow and Edinburgh are further north than Copenhagen or Malmo... Scotland share the same latitudes of the demographic and historic core of Scandinavia. Helsinki parralel is just about 200km further north as Scotland. If Scotand is in central Europe, then most of Scandinavians are central Europeans too... And me, who live 1200 km further south than Scotland must an African...

Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
I don't care about geography in this case. I reflect only from a cultural and historical perspective.

If it would be all about geography, Finland and Greece would be Eastern Europe, even maybe Austria.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Finland IS in Eastern Europe. I live in the very western edge of Europe. Finland is about 5n of me so its not that much further north, if I measure from my area to the East of Finland it is 1500 miles - the same longitude as Cyprus.

Europe isn't very wide and 1500 miles is pretty far. If that isn't Eastern Europe than I don't know what is. Finland is also 2 hours ahead of me in time which is a lot for a small continent.

I AM in Northern Europe, you are barely 5 degrees of latitude further north than me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

Glasgow and Edinburgh are further north than Copenhagen or Malmo... Scotland share the same latitudes of the demographic and historic core of Scandinavia. Helsinki parralel is just about 200km further north as Scotland. If Scotand is in central Europe, then most of Scandinavians are central Europeans too... And me, who live 1200 km further south than Scotland must an African...
Exactly. I don't know what is so hard to grasp.

I don't know what his problem is, he keeps saying he's a 'real' Northern person, well surely I am then too as he's only 5 degrees further north, Aberdeen only 2 degrees further north...

Old 07-04-2015, 03:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't care about geography in this case. I reflect only from a cultural and historical perspective.

If it would be all about geography, Finland and Greece would be Eastern Europe, even maybe Austria.
Finland and Greece are obviouly in eastern Europe. Eastern Europe refer to the part of Europe that is on the eastern half of the continent, why finland and Greece not be in eastern Europe ?? The fact that they were not in the former geopolitical concept wrongmy names "eastern Europe" that used to define former communist countries doesn't change geographic and historic realities. Greece is in the Balkan Peninsula, is of Orthodox religion, has been part of the EASTERN Roman empire (byzantine), the Ottoman empire, etc.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:22 PM

363 posts, read 479,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

Scotland have lots of norwegian history. Norwegian language was spoken to the beginning of 1900 century in Shetland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret,_Maid_of_Norway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe