Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 AM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The Loire river, but also the Danube, follow more or less the 47°N parralel that divides the main land mass of Europe into about two equal halfs.
From Donaueschingen to Budapest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
That line extends to 40N that's not Northern.
No 57 degrees cuts Europe in half geographically thst is a geograohical FACT, it doesn't matter a rats Ar*se what the country, county, town or street is called, below that point and you are in the Southern half above it you are in the Northern half and it makes no difference what language you speak or what you eat.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:33 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,135 times
I am in Northern Europe.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I am in Northern Europe.
Congratulations?

Old 07-13-2015, 03:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
I am in Northern Europe.
Earlier said today:
Quote:
I disagree massively.

I live on an island disconnected from Europe, I speak a different language and I live a life of foreign traditions (to them), it would be hilarious for me to be grouped up in the same league as somebody in Greece or Norway.

We don't even use the same currency or drive on the same side of the road.

Don't be daft!
So are you in Northern Europe or in Europe at all? Try to decide already.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:15 AM

12 posts, read 12,607 times
Don't they have a UN Geographical Institute in some glass building in Brussels staffed by 5.000 geographers? They should know. Now, if a person lives in a place, he's free to decide that he lives in the north, south, flammarion or el dorado.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:51 AM

106 posts, read 142,998 times
Northern or lets say Nordic Europe is more about culture imo. UK culture is quite unique and does not have much in common with Denmark, Northern Germany, Sweden etc. Might have something to do with the island and the culture did not spread to the UK. Look at the architecture in Denmark, Northern Germany, Sweden for example. It is totally different than the architecture in the UK.

The classic Northern Europe for me begins with Netherlands/North Germany, over Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. Not without reason was the capital of the Vikings in todays Slesvig-Holsten, Germany called "Hedeby".

Last edited by Jozef77; 07-18-2015 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 08:10 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef77 View Post
Northern or lets say Nordic Europe is more about culture imo. UK culture is quite unique and does not have much in common with Denmark, Northern Germany, Sweden etc. Might have something to do with the island and the culture did not spread to the UK. Look at the architecture in Denmark, Northern Germany, Sweden for example. It is totally different than the architecture in the UK.

The classic Northern Europe for me begins with Netherlands/North Germany, over Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. Not without reason was the capital of the Vikings in todays Slesvig-Holsten, Germany called "Hedeby".
Stop the nonsense! The fact that the U.K. might differ culturally doesn't stop it from being in Northern Europe geographically. Northern Europe is determined geographically. There are parts of the U.K. which lies north of northern Germany, O.K.! That's more than enough of a reason. There also differences between German and Scandinavian cultures, something you were not aware of.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Stop the nonsense! The fact that the U.K. might differ culturally doesn't stop it from being in Northern Europe geographically. Northern Europe is determined geographically. There are parts of the U.K. which lies north of northern Germany, O.K.! That's more than enough of a reason.
England is located at the same latitude of northern Germany and Poland... These areas are called "north European Plain"... In these latitudes are located the north sea... If it is not northern Europe !...

Old 07-18-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
England is located at the same latitude of northern Germany and Poland... These areas are called "north European Plain"... In these latitudes are located the north sea... If it is not northern Europe !...
The Northern half of Europe starts at 57 degrees, this is a fact and it doesn't make any difference what a place or country is called or what the 'customs' are, The Equator cuts the world in half, north of the Equator is the 'Northern Hemisphere', south of it is the 'Southern Hemisphere' (see how it works?), it doesn't make ANY difference what people eat, wear, how much of it is land or sea or how many people live in each half!!!! North and south are geographical NOT political terms - 57 degrees cuts, Europe in half north to south therefore north of that latitude is in 'northern Europe', south of that is in southern Europe' no matter what the town, city, country, county or seas are called or even if the line cuts through the middle of countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe