Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Erm my rational is based on FACT! Look up the meaning of the words northern and southern then look up the meaning of the word half, then perhaps you will see. It's perfectly simple. They also use these words to ascertain the northern and southern hemispheres you know!!
It is this perfectly simple! This is Northern Europe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Erm my rational is based on FACT! Look up the meaning of the words northern and southern then look up the meaning of the word half, then perhaps you will see. It's perfectly simple. They also use these words to ascertain the northern and southern hemispheres you know!!
Now if you want to play with the 57 degrees north, go ahead. However facts are facts! Telling us that most of Denmark is in Southern Europe. That is insanity.

Last edited by saxonwold; 07-23-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 05:34 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
It is this perfectly simple! This is Northern Europe.
This is what I would call Northen Europe too, if we divide the continent in three zones (northern, central, southern).

Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Now if you want to play with the 57 degrees north, go ahead. However facts are facts! Telling us that most of Denmark is in Southern Europe. That is insanity.
EXACTLY! And the FACT is that 57 degrees is the halfway point of the continent of Europe, therefore everything to the North of that line is in the Northern half and every thing South of that line is in the Southern Half, and Germany, England, Holland and Belgium (among others) are all in the Southern half........that is NOT an opinion but a fact.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
This is what I would call Northen Europe too, if we divide the continent in three zones (northern, central, southern).
Yes lets divide it into 3 zones North, South and Central.....take the Southern extremity from the Northern extremity and divide into 3, this would make each (section about 15.66 degrees) that means Southern Europe is approximately from 34 degrees to 49.66 degrees, Central Europe is approximately from 49.66 to 65.32 degrees and Northern Europe is approximately from 65.32 degrees to 81 degrees. Now we can say that the UK is in Central Europe but parts of Germany are still in the Southern section and parts are central, this again is a mathematical FACT. If you want the centre of Europe simply do the same exercise with the West to East Coordinates.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:19 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,827 times
I consider Southern Europe only the countries located south of the Alps (47°N), which act as a strong natural divide between southern (mediterranean) and central Europe. The only exception is France which is partly north and partly south of the Alps. The 57° parallel hasn't any mean, it's an astract line in the middle of nowhere which divides randomly different Northern european countries and seas.

Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Republic of Macedonia, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey are southern countries.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:52 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
I don't see what makes ireland more "northerly" than the netherlands.

I consider uk/ireland to be western more than northern.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Cities dividing Northern and Southern Europe:

Nantes, France
Angers, France
Tours, France
Orleans, France
Auxerre, France
Freiburg, Germany
Ulm, Germany
Ingolstadt, Germany
Passau, Germany
Linz, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Bratislava, Slovakia
Budapest, Hungary
Debrecen, Hungary
Bistrita, Romania
Iasi, Romania
Causeni, Moldova
Zatoka, Ukraine
Ukraine is not Northern Europe at all. Even though cities in the north in Ukraine are colder in winter than Stockholm and Oslo (and almost as cold as Helsinki) the term 'north' refers to geographical position, not to the climate. Plus, even northern part of Ukraine can easily get really hot in summer.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:28 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

Because Ireland is more northern than the Netherlands.

I think that Ireland and Britain's position is best described as North Western Europe.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

The Netherlands isn't very far north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe