Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times

Advertisements

I've been to Belarus many times. My second wife was born in Norilsk and spent her childhood between Gomel (Homel) and Brest where her sister and mother now live. I've been to Minsk so many times I know the city better than many of it's residents. I've had some good times there. The food is excellent. Good restaurants abound and the parks are very enjoyable as are all of the small coffee shops ect. One thing I got while there and miss greatly is the feeling of personal freedom and peace, you can actually have a beer in a beautiful park and not end up beaten by the police and in a cell.

I find the country to be nice. All in all the country is definitely a livable place. It reminds me of central Pennsylvania and if you take a drive around the country you'll agree that it is quite beautiful. Nature has not been plowed under by the western version of progress. Yet.

I do not really care for Lukashenko (he's a first class Jerk) and many citizens do not either but it can be argued that he does quite a good job managing things. He's definitely preferable to the "freedom and liberty" the west would bring. My ex wife likes him. She lost her father (a police sergeant) and almost her little sister to the local mafia in Gomel 25 years ago and Luka solved that problem. He had a saying about dealing with the mafia. "Kill all of them and then have a funeral. Kill everyone who comes to the funerals and all will be well". Or something like that. I can't disagree.

The people have it hard sometimes usually because of the knee jerk lunatics in Europe and throughout the west. Sanctions and more sanctions. They're the same breed that brought all that peace, prosperity, freedom and liberty to the Iraqis in case you need a reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Russians and Belarussians may think that anything is better than the freedom and liberty the West offers. Because they have no experience or history of democracy, and the people still have the peasant serf mentality.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:55 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Russians and Belarussians may think that anything is better than the freedom and liberty the West offers. Because they have no experience or history of democracy, and the people still have the peasant serf mentality.
That's the truth, they have never experienced democracy and if they did, it's been for a couple years when in reality it was a democracy only in name and an oligarchy in facts. It seems to me that that short stint (the 90s when Yeltsin was PM) are probably the reason antidemocratic principles are in vogue in much of the former USSR

Old 03-27-2016, 04:16 AM

54 posts, read 55,811 times
There should be elections in Belarus.

However have in mind that anything that does not comply with America or its interests it's often called a dictatorship and America will make sure it is removed so that a new democratic (corrupted pro-USA) government can be installed!

Old 03-27-2016, 02:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
Democracy as I know it here in America consists of a large population of doops fed BS and the much smaller ruling class of hypocrites enriching themselves.

That's about it.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:54 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,370 times
Well, in Montenegro the current PM rules the country since 1991 (he was a PM, later a president, and later again a PM). Lukashenko rules since 1994.

So the leader of Montengro rules for 3 years longer. He is the champion.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
Well, in Montenegro the current PM rules the country since 1991 (he was a PM, later a president, and later again a PM). Lukashenko rules since 1994.

So the leader of Montengro rules for 3 years longer. He is the champion.
He wasn't in power in 2003, 2007 and 2011. So Lukashenka wins.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:28 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, quite a few Russians ( and Belorussians I'd assume) don't have any "serf mentality," they just understand that they won't get any advertised by the West "Freedom and democracy" Western style, since these two are closely connected with the existence of "middle class" and private property that this class possesses. In Russia this class has been notably absent through centuries; the West obviously denied Russians the creation of such class twenty years ago, and without it all this "freedom and democracy" is nothing but an empty sound. Worse than that - in the eyes of Russians it sounds like yet another attempt to colonize Russia, as it was twenty years ago. So obviously Russians decline such Western "offers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe