Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 PM

10,672 posts, read 16,117,689 times

Advertisements

Greece is Southeastern European with some Near Eastern influences (Anatolia, Levant, Caucasus).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_East

Last edited by Davy-040; 11-02-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,288,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think you mean "Near Eastern".
Near east (or levant) and middle east are very different. By history, geography, climate, foods, etc. The near east is often much closer to mediterranean Europe, southeastern Europe in particular, than with middle eastern countries like Saoudi Arabia, Emirates, Quatar or Yemen...

Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,637,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
The Greeks consider themselve as the founders of Europe, it's the first time I hear that someone calls them "Middle Eastern", it is true that they were under Muslim rule but so was Spain for a part of time.

Greece is Orthodox and I think they have ties to other Orthodox countries like Russia and Serbia.
And also Bulgaria, a part of Hungary and Romania, as Georgia and Crimea were onced ruled by muslim emperors and I don't see no one calling them Middle Easterns.

Of course Greeks are totally European, European Mediterranean just like Portugal, Spain, Italy and the southern part of France. It is true that their cuisine is more related to Turkey than to Italy, for example.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,189,199 times
All those countries on the map(to the East/South), all the way to Iran were under Greek rule along time before any Muslim/Ottoman rule. Are they European because they share some cultural traits(i.e. cuisine) with the Greeks?

Old 11-09-2016, 06:12 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,341,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Greece is Southeastern European with some Near Eastern influences (Anatolia, Levant, Caucasus).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_East

There are some minor influence because they were ruled by Turks many years, but they are profoundly European. Turkey had a tremendous Greek influence, but they were expelled by Atartuk.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,189,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
There are some minor influence because they were ruled by Turks many years, but they are profoundly European. Turkey had a tremendous Greek influence, but they were expelled by Atartuk.
True, historically the influence has been minor. Actually, Greeks influenced Turks more (given present day Turks are 75% Anatolian people, i.e. indigenous, they endured about a thousand plus years of Greek/Roman/Byzantine influence). Most ethnic groups in Turkey were citizens of that empire.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,782,827 times
Greece is profoundly Greek and I mean that in the best sense.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 PM

121 posts, read 279,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
The anglospere doesn't really make this difference as the Dutch and Germans do. For them it's middle, for us near.
who cares about what the anglosphere thinks? I dont.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,493,217 times
Near Eastern influence, particularly in food and music had a big impact on Greece in the late middle ages through latter centuries, the period of Ottoman Greece.

If you go to 'Greek Fests', events which revolve primarily around food and music, you are going to get a warped impression of Greek culture since you are being exposed to a selective sample of its totality.

Considering Greece's language and religion, Greece is certainly not more Middle Eastern than European.

Norwegians enjoy potatoes and Rock music. This does not make them a Peruvian-Gambian hybrid culture.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:21 AM

23 posts, read 20,554 times
What do people think about promoting 'Pakistanis are Middle Eastern' in light of this?

I've been arguing quite strongly that Pakistanis need to be reclassified as Middle Eastern for the sake of the rest of the South Asian community. In countries like Canada and the UK, Muslims have far higher birth rates than Hindus, meaning that in the youth, Pakistanis dominate racial organizations that they're to fit to represent; it's incredibly racist against the various Indian ethnic groups.

Something needs to be done. I consider Pakistanis to be something similar to Turkey vis-a-vis India/Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe