Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 11:03 PM

134 posts, read 191,804 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to stir a controversy but everytime I go to a Greek Festival, alot of the music, food, dance, drama, etc seem to be more of the middle eastern variety rather than European, but what are your views? please share? do Greeks view themselves as Europeans or Middle Eastern?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:45 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
My mother is 1st generation American born (english is her 2nd language) & has always refered to us as "Mediterranean".

I think genetically speaking we share more DNA with the Middle East. Interestingly; I've noticed an odd similarity between Greek traditional colors & dance to the French Basque ...Anyone else?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:27 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Don't mean to stir a controversy but everytime I go to a Greek Festival, alot of the music, food, dance, drama, etc seem to be more of the middle eastern variety rather than European, but what are your views? please share? do Greeks view themselves as Europeans or Middle Eastern?
I think you mean "Near Eastern".

Old 11-02-2016, 02:47 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think you mean "Near Eastern".
The anglospere doesn't really make this difference as the Dutch and Germans do. For them it's middle, for us near.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
The Greeks consider themselve as the founders of Europe, it's the first time I hear that someone calls them "Middle Eastern", it is true that they were under Muslim rule but so was Spain for a part of time.

Greece is Orthodox and I think they have ties to other Orthodox countries like Russia and Serbia.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:56 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
There is a cultural continuum in many parts of the world. Yes, Greece appears more middle (or near)
East than Germany or France, but I am sure that any Greek will tell you that they are European just as any other European person would not question this. Greece is Europe's cradle after all.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:06 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
We just had a very long thread on this very question. And what's with these mind-limiting "either/or" questions anyway?

Greece is neither European nor so-called middle eastern and the question should not even be asked.

You are looking at geography, history and culture from a nineteenth century western European perspective.

Take Google Earth, or similar program, and turn it, rotate it, zoom it in and out in as many different ways as you can conceive of.

At the same time, read history from the beginning going forward one year at a time, not backward hundreds of years at a time. And read it in as many different languages as you possibly can, including the original ones, and least of all English, German and French.

It will change your perspective and you will change your questions, and be that much better for it.

Last edited by bale002; 11-02-2016 at 05:17 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 05:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Greek popular culture got a big Middle Eastern Greek shot in the arm after its losing war with Turkey after WW I. There was an exchange of populations that brought a million or more Greeks from Anatolia - with their distinctive culture - into Greece. And it changed Greek popular culture considerably from what I have read. But with all that, this influence was layered into an already complex history.

But still, today in Greece the influence of the Orthodox Church gives the country a much different air than you would find in the Arab Islamic Middle East.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
We just had a very long thread on this very question. And what's with these mind-limiting "either/or" questions anyway?

Greece is neither European nor so-called middle eastern and the question should not even be asked.

You are looking at geography, history and culture from a nineteenth century western European perspective.

Take Google Earth, or similar program, and turn it, rotate it, zoom it in and out in as many different ways as you can conceive of.

At the same time, read history from the beginning going forward one year at a time, not backward hundreds of years at a time. And read it in as many different languages as you possibly can, including the original ones, and least of all English, German and French.

It will change your perspective and you will change your questions, and be that much better for it.

Good post your knowledge and common sense come through, so many of the posts on this forum are replete with black and white concrete thinking.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Greece is mostly mediterranean Europe. Sure it is not Czech Republic, but if you consider it middle eastern, then you might as well say that Belarus is Central Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe