Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 AM

622 posts, read 429,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Greek cuisine and music have Byzantine origins. Some of the culinary delicacies found in today's Near Eastern cultures(Arabic, Turkish etc..) have Byzantine roots, which in turn go back to Roman and possibly Ancient Greek times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_cuisine

"Many scholars state that Byzantine koptoplakous and plakountas tetyromenous are the ancestors of modern 'baklava and tiropita' (börek)(cheese-pie) respectively. Both variants descended from the ancient Roman Placenta cake."

Of course, the ancient Hellenistic empire that became the Eastern Roman empire that lasted until 1470.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,082,242 times
Greece is Eastern Med in cultural influences, north, south and eastern sides of the Med. However "looks" towards Europe, and especially Britain.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 AM

419 posts, read 346,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Greece is Eastern Med in cultural influences, north, south and eastern sides of the Med. However "looks" towards Europe, and especially Britain.
There's no such a thing as "eastern med" and if there's, it would include countries like Syria turkey Lebanon Egypt etc with which i don't think we are really related. We hardly are related to Israelis

We are partially "west med" European like iberia Italy and Malta, and partially southeast European. If you disagree with anything above, you can tell us the reason

Also ,why do you think we look towards Britain? That may applies for Cyprus, but i can't see how it applies for Greece.

Maybe it's my impression, but i see the pattern of "Europe= Germanics, Baltics and French" being repeated once again

Last edited by Giannis; 04-25-2019 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-26-2019, 09:49 AM

1,877 posts, read 680,755 times
Greek food certainly has much in common with Turkish, Lebanese etc cuisines. Many of the surviving Thessaloniki jews and Jewish communities that lived elsewhere in Greece before WWII are now Israelis so I'd say there is a strong link there also.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Greek food certainly has much in common with Turkish, Lebanese etc cuisines. Many of the surviving Thessaloniki jews and Jewish communities that lived elsewhere in Greece before WWII are now Israelis so I'd say there is a strong link there also.
What exactly do our food has in common with the above? And how is "European food" defined? Because 90% of homemade dishes that you will eat in Greece exist in all southern European countries. Streetfood is a different case

I am abviously not asking about food of Greek communities in Egypt, turkey Syria etc which were settled in Greece 100-50 years ago, for which there's a detailed answer in post 36:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/54962907-post36.html

Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 680,755 times
Are you seriously saying that the food in Turkish cities just across the water has absolutely nothing in common with Greek cuisine and is so different that it has nothing more on common with Greek food than Japanese food or Indian food or Brazilian food?

I think it is pretty obvious that there are big similarities between cuisines and even individual products/dishes in countries all around the Mediterranean, and even more so around the Eastern Mediterranean.

It would be very strange indeed if those countries so close to each other with such shared history did not share a lot in terms of the products and dishes they eat.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Are you seriously saying that the food in Turkish cities just across the water has absolutely nothing in common with Greek cuisine and is so different that it has nothing more on common with Greek food than Japanese food or Indian food or Brazilian food?

I think it is pretty obvious that there are big similarities between cuisines and even individual products/dishes in countries all around the Mediterranean, and even more so around the Eastern Mediterranean.

It would be very strange indeed if those countries so close to each other with such shared history did not share a lot in terms of the products and dishes they eat.
First of all i didn't "respond", as you can see i rather asked

When i think of near eastern food, i think of dishes like falafel, lachmatzun and several kinds of kebab. All of them as far as i know do not exist in homemade Greek cuisine

Talking about homemade Greek cuisine, as you can understand i am a Greek myself, therefore there's nothing to "suppose" about it, i know every single detail about every group living here and its cuisine.

And no, i don't think that our cuisine has nothing in common with near eastern, or that it has more in common with Japanese or Brazilian. Of course it has things in common with near eastern

What i know is that homemade Greek cuisine is closer to western mediterranean than to eastern mediterranean, meanwhile streetfood, was directly introduced to Greece in 1930s by Greek communities from the near east that returned to Greece, and it's pure near eastern. Do you want examples or you think you already know everything better than a native?

Old 04-29-2019, 03:36 PM

7,052 posts, read 11,364,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
What exactly do our food has in common with the above? And how is "European food" defined? Because 90% of homemade dishes that you will eat in Greece exist in all southern European countries. Streetfood is a different case

I am abviously not asking about food of Greek communities in Egypt, turkey Syria etc which were settled in Greece 100-50 years ago, for which there's a detailed answer in post 36:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/54962907-post36.html
Giannis, I was interested in the native noodle dishes of Fourni, my wife's home island. I asked her mother and she said growing up they had dried orzo noodles(minestra) and dried spaghetti. Both were used like rice, a side dish with some homemade cheese and tomato when available.

My MIL's mother (now in her 90s and still living on the island) did once make fresh egg noodles though. Flour, eggs, oil. She would dry the noodles, then add them to dishes, like soups and stews over about a week before making a new batch. She said the noodles were good.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Greece is mostly mediterranean Europe. Sure it is not Czech Republic, but if you consider it middle eastern, then you might as well say that Belarus is Central Asia.
What do you mean by the last part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe