Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,198,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Stuffing the face with food sure works huh?
If this is what motivates you to stop stuffing your face, then more power to you. For some, it might led them to an eating disorder. That's not healthy, but hey, you'll get skinny!

Fitness and healthy living is a lifestyle. You shouldn't be asked to come up with excuses, you should be asked what is the first step you can take lead to to a healthier path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I found it inspirational.

Those who don't likely don't like having their laziness shoved back in their face.
See, it somehow comes back to laziness. The root message.

What if there is a woman that has extra skin postpartum? How is this inspirational? Why is this person forced to come up with an excuse? She is already fit.

What is a woman postpartum has thyroid issues (common problem)? She is working out, but now she has to use that as an excuse.

But yet, ultimately, they will be considered lazy because people like you have already labeled them so. That's what's wrong.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
That woman does not owe anyone a self esteem. Anyone who gets offended by this really needs to look at themselves.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That woman does not owe anyone a self esteem. Anyone who gets offended by this really needs to look at themselves.

Not really. I think people are just trying to say that these type of messages don't work. Let's think of a new way of getting people into healthy living.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:55 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,947 times
Tiger mom needs to come off her high mule, lose the hair dye and get a cheeseburger. And while she's at it, she can read this.

The Inklings of Life: My Excuses for Not Looking Like Maria Kang After Having Children

Old 10-16-2013, 05:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Tiger mom needs to come off her high mule, lose the hair dye and get a cheeseburger. And while she's at it, she can read this.

The Inklings of Life: My Excuses for Not Looking Like Maria Kang After Having Children
See, the problem with this one too is that it again, targets a certain demographic of mother. If you don't have the curves/hip/ass (which many women naturally do not), then what?

You can love and enjoy the moments of your babies while working out - I train during the baby's nap while the 3.5 year old plays with 'safe' tools in the garage gym with me. Nobody's missing out.

I don't agree with Ms Kang's statement (and I have a lengthy post on the first page explaining why), but overall my point is that whether you want to dedicate a lot of time to fitness or NOT do it, it's FINE. I have friends who would rather jump off a cliff than lift weights - they do other hobbies like baking, volleyball, travel, whatever.

There are no excuses Ms Kang, but there are many reasons why women choose not to work out and diet down to the level that we do. And that's fine, so get some perspective and realize that not every mother in this world should prioritize fitness the way you do. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
I love people who take this personally and list a bunch of reasons why they don't look like her ranging from genetics to alien abductions. If you want to look like her, you have to make it a priority like she did. If you're fine how you look then it doesn't matter. If you're offended by the photo, then there's some issue you have to address with yourself

If you're fine with how you look but then get mad that a picture like that calls you out, then you're obviously not fine with how you look and are still making excuses. Full time working parents with kids can look good, enjoy their kid's lives and have a social life if they make fitness a priority. If you're saying, "I could look that good but xyz" then you're simply making excuses.

It's fine if you don't want to dedicate the time to fitness and diet that she has. But don't turn around and say, "Well I could look that good too if I didn't enjoy bbq and sangria in the summer, pumpkin pie and eggnog in the winter and I SPEND TIME WITH MY KIDS" like that inkling article said.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:30 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Not really. I think people are just trying to say that these type of messages don't work. Let's think of a new way of getting people into healthy living.
She didn't put out a public service announcement for the world, she posted the pic on HER Facebook page.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
a pic on her Facebook page that exists mainly to provide support for people who are a part of the community that have decided to try her 3 month "No Excuses Exercise Plan"

Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
If they don't work then why are they so prolific in the exercise/fitness community?

They obviously do work for many

If they didn't, they wouldn't exist at such a high level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness