Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times

Advertisements

No, there would not be as much uproar about a man - but she didn't include the ages of 3 very young children for no particular reason, it directly implies that there are no excuses for not being in great shape after having young children.

Men don't have to gain a minimum of 20lbs or stretch out their abdominals in order to have children. When my second child was two days old, my husband could work out as normal. He didn't have to maintain a minimum body fat level for nursing that made him look fluffy.

This is rather unrealistic for being 8 months postpartum and part of the reason women hate their bodies after birth is that it is actually extremely hard to do such a thing, if it all, if your stomach is not scarred with marks. There is nothing wrong with looking like her 8 months postpartum but it is not very nice to imply they are just making excuses if they can't - or choose not to - try and achieve that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
People really need to get a life instead of complaining about her. She looks great and I'm sure she works very hard to look that way. It's what SHE chooses to do with her body. I look nothing like her and probably never will. I have a couple of excuses, too- it's called Nutella and wine *swoon*

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
No, there would not be as much uproar about a man - but she didn't include the ages of 3 very young children for no particular reason, it directly implies that there are no excuses for not being in great shape after having young children.

See...I took it quite differently.
Not only had she given birth 3 times, not only had she just given birth 8 months ago, but with all those toddlers, she still has time to work out.

I say that because we have ONE toddler and he takes up all our time and attention constantly.
So I thought she was pointing out that even with so much to do (family, business, etc), she still had time to eat right and work out.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
See...I took it quite differently.
Not only had she given birth 3 times, not only had she just given birth 8 months ago, but with all those toddlers, she still has time to work out.

I say that because we have ONE toddler and he takes up all our time and attention constantly.
So I thought she was pointing out that even with so much to do (family, business, etc), she still had time to eat right and work out.
That's how I took it, too. Getting a body like that and maintaining it is HARD work. Let the woman be proud of herself instead of bashing her.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
That's how I took it, too. Getting a body like that and maintaining it is HARD work. Let the woman be proud of herself instead of bashing her.
Agreed. No one would ever look at me and say, "Fitness model!"

But I guess I have enough self-respect and I admire myself enough to not take what this woman is saying like some kind of insult or affront.

She's right. She has a crap ton of things to do, she has kids out the wazoo, she doesn't hire outside help, and she has maintained a healthy lifestyle despite all the excuses most people trot out (usually based on "not having time").

Why can't we just feel proud on her behalf. You go, girl! I will step up my game because women like this are inspirational. I'm always trying to step up my game. You can't live your life making up excuses...and I venture I have way more than the average bear that I could use (work, constantly rotating sleep schedule, thyroid, kid, genetics, etc).

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Lots of people work hard though. Very hard. Is hard work something we need to be proud and loud about now? Let's all make websites about working two jobs and doing yard work and going to school and raising kids, etc., etc. It's just life. I never felt the need to brag about hard work, it was just taught to me as something that you do. Not making a big deal out of this woman having a hobby of working out is not bashing her. Let her try to sell her program but no one has to gush over her or want to live her lifestyle. Other mothers spend their time doing other types of hard work in addition to parenting, not getting recognized or even appreciated much of the time, so this one isn't special.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,797 times
Yeah, we all need to "have a life", no doubt, to put what others do in perspective. But it does matter the way we treat each other, the things we say to one another.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Lots of people work hard though. Very hard. Is hard work something we need to be proud and loud about now? Let's all make websites about working two jobs and doing yard work and going to school and raising kids, etc., etc. It's just life. I never felt the need to brag about hard work, it was just taught to me as something that you do. Not making a big deal out of this woman having a hobby of working out is not bashing her. Let her try to sell her program but no one has to gush over her or want to live her lifestyle. Other mothers spend their time doing other types of hard work in addition to parenting, not getting recognized or even appreciated much of the time, so this one isn't special.
This is an excellent point, too.

I think people forget that their first responsibility is to their own health/welfare.

From that springs all the good you do for others.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
YES - and let's preface our blog with "WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE'?

I doubt that your hard work would be well received. Honestly, I never heard of this woman before this thread.

There is a happy medium between not really appreciating her comments AND assuming that everyone who does not is a pig at the trough.

It's not necessarily one or the other, folks.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness